Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dead cat

badger
September 15th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Serious question: how long does it take a cat's body to decompose? I found a young dead cat in the alley this morning, one I have been keeping an eye on, a nervous little wreck, barely stopping long enough to eat, afraid of its own shadow. Poor thing. Maybe a car, although the body was intact, no blood, stretched out as if sleeping, some liquid under the head (not blood) and a little surprised turd at the other end. So sad, f****** ruined my day. Anyway, I'm not about to pitch him in the weeds. If I put him deep in my vegetable garden, would he be more or less gone by spring? The plot belongs to the city so technically it's not mine, although I rent it by the year. Definitely against the rules but what the hell.
Any scientific types around, or somebody who's had a similar experience?
Sorry to be so gruesome, I want him in the earth, not thrown away like so much trash.

moontamara
September 15th, 2004, 08:40 PM
No idea about the decomposing, sorry. Are you sure that this cat wasn't someone's pet? I imagine you've already done so, but just in case -- have you checked for ads about a missing cat? If it was my kitty I'd want to know what happened to her.

I'm sorry for the kitty and for you too. How sad... He's lucky to be found by a pet lover, though, who is willing to take care of his remains. You're very kind.

downloader
September 15th, 2004, 09:16 PM
The cat will be decomposed by spring, if the soil is not too compacted. But having meat,flesh and skin compost in your veggie garden is not too good. Never know what kind of toxins are released. If it was just for flowers its ok, but something that you eat, is kind or risky. Good luck

www.bluewhippet.net

badger
September 15th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks Moon. I looked on all the lost and found boards I know of, but nothing comes up. Do you think I should post a picture of him, dead? He was wearing a black plastic collar, no ID.

badger
September 15th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Didn't think about toxins. Yikes. Will be sure to stake out the area and only plant flowers in that spot. Surely by the time the body is decomposed, the risk would be gone?

moontamara
September 15th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Badger -- not a picture... a description, perhaps? Seeing a picture of a dead loved one can be worse than seeing the loved one's dead body (in my experience, anyway). I'm just assuming it would be the same with a pet. I don't know why it's worse...

badger
September 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM
You're right. Which is why I'm rushing out this weekend to buy collars and ID tags for my boys. If someone finds one of them in a ditch somewhere (God forbid), I want to know, not wonder forever what became of them.

iRONKNiGHT
September 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Badger i am sorry your week just seems to get worst!.. it would be safe putting the kitten in a corner like close to the fence area.. i know your area i worked for Canada post in that area and i dont live far from you ..
in other news what's the story on the pregnant cat?

badger
September 15th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Well, there have been some feelers and I think it will work out. However, I am also finding that some of these rescue groups (god bless them all) have - ahem - issues with each other, and it's difficult to know what to believe. Our passion for these little beasts can get the better of us! I know when I am focused on finding a home for a rescue, nothing else matters.
Anyway, I went to see her tonight and she came right up to me, crying for food. A sweet little brown tabby. She'll make a fine pet when we get her settled.

chico2
September 15th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Badger,I am so sad for the poor little kitty and for you to find him in that state...You can safely put him in the ground,I have Peppi,Sammy,Cookie and Blue buried in my backyard about 2 feet down,not all in the same spot,right by a fence between bushes.Give the poor little soul somewhat of a ceremony to carry him over the RainbowBridge :(
I should probably add,whenever I find an animal on the road,I call HS to pick them up,just so they can check for microchips.....and notify the owner,but it's up to you,if you have been feeding him,and considering the cat-situation in Montreal he's probably just another sad victim of neglect.

badger
September 15th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks Chico. Do you think Downloader was right about the toxins? I'm a bit worried about that. I would have to bury him at night so it'll be a quickie ceremony! But heartfelt. And definitely, flowers in the spring.
I think I'll put up some posters in the neighbourhood, no pictures, just that I found him. He probably got out and went walkabout and then couldn't find his way home. Not really abuse, just irresponsible owners, who probably loved him and didn't realize how quickly cats can get away. I BEG people to ID their animals, it would save them so much grief.