Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The new guy

CarolenMolly
November 22nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
We just broght home a 6 week old little kitten. We were thinking that our 2 year old French Bulldog/Chihuahua really needed a friend to play with while everyone was at work.

Well our dog has been a little too excited to have a new friend around. It seems like the kitten can't get a moment to itself. The dog is always running after it, licking it, wanting to play. We got home today to find the kitten all stressed out, it is still seems so little and fragile still. I'm afraid that our dog just doesn't know when to stop and give this kitten the space it needs to adjust. I'm thinking of maybe seperating them while we are at work...Am I over reacting maybe?

We also have our little year and half year old who is also very curious but very careful about the new addition.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to help everyone get along?
:shrug:

14+kitties
November 22nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
Oh man, poor baby. First off - kitty should still be with mom and litter until at least 8 weeks of age. That is when they learn some very important socialization skills.
A kitten should never ever be left alone with a dog. It is a recipe for disaster. :( Of course kitten is stressed out. It's in a new home with a dog who it sees as an enemy. It will be constantly trying to get away to protect itself.
It is imperative that the introductions be done correctly if you want your dog and kitten to get along when they are older. I'm not sure why you picked a kitten for a dog's friend instead of another dog. :confused: The kitten needs a room of it's own for the first week or so of being in a new home. Seeing as the kitten is so very very young it would not be a bad idea to extend that time to about a month. After that the introductions have to be done very very slowly and carefully. Even after you are confident that things are progressing nicely the kitten will still need an escape route that the dog can not get to. That can be in the shape of a baby gate across a door or a cat tree the cat can climb up to be high. Make sure it is sturdy so the dog can not knock it over.
A couple of sites for you to read -

http://www.myhealthycat.com/cat-and-dog.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2137&aid=2926

For the first six months or so I would never ever leave the kitten with the dog alone. JMO

Love4himies
November 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
I second 14+'s post. Your poor kitten must be absolutely terrified :(.

CarolenMolly
November 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Sorry our kitten is 8 weeks old, typo there! To be honest we wanted another pet but thought another dog would be a little bit too much work to train, so we figured a kitten would be a good choice, and we watched my parents 6 month old cat a few weeks ago and it went really well for the two of them so we thought it would go well.

Thanks for the website links I will check those out.

Marty11
November 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
When the kitten gets a bit older and the introduction is properly done, you should have no trouble. But for now only supervised visits, and keep them apart.