Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Opinions needed please on kitten in heat.

rg_girlca
November 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
I had an appointment for 2 of my female kitties on Nov. 3rd to be spayed. One was 6 months old and the other 7 months. Unfortunately the 6 month old went into heat on the 2nd and couldn't be spayed. I made another appointment for her which is only for Dec. 3rd. Her first heat was Nov. 2nd and finished Nov. 6th. Then she went into heat again, Nov. 17th and finished yesterday the 21st. Poor baby had to be confined in my room both times because she was driving my boys nuts by trying to get them to mate with her. The little hussy. LOL!!!!

Since I have more experience with males than females, is there a chance that she will go into another heat before her spay date and is it normal for her to go into heat twice in such a short span?

14+kitties
November 22nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Yes, entirely possible. Females can go into heat at any time. Especially if they sense a willing male around. Are any of your boys unfixed or is there a possibility that there is an intact male outside?
Will the vet not fix the kittens when they are in heat? It may cost a bit more but most vets will do it.
Lets' hope she doesn't have another heat before she goes in. Good luck.

sugarcatmom
November 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Oh boy, I feel your pain. The momma I was fostering (and have since adopted) went into heat when her kittens were 7 weeks old, and proceded to go in and out of heat 3 more times before I could get her spayed (when the kittens were 13 weeks old). It was hell!! Imagine if you will, a semi-feral Siamese yowling like a banshee after my resident geriatric boy kitty. He was none too impressed.

So ya, unfortunately cats can cycle through heat periods fast and furiously. Good luck! Hopefully you can get her spayed in between. :fingerscr

rg_girlca
November 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Thank you for your response 14+kitties & Sugarcatmom.

All my boys are fixed and indoor only cats. I also haven't noticed any males outside either. I live on the second floor, so don't have many that do come up. Yes, it does cost a bit more, but there is also a risk that they might hemorrhage, or so I've been told.

Sugarcatmom, I can only imagine what you went through. It must have have been 4 times worse than what I went through with mine yowling.

If she does, and I pray she doesn't, go into heat when her spay is due, I will call the vet to see if they will still fix her or not.

Thanks for the good lucks. :D

mona_b
November 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
I had my cat spayed while she was in heat. I had the appy set up. Then BOOM, she went into heat.:rolleyes: I called the vet and told him. He said he can still do the spay. Yes I paid and extra $25. But it's because it takes a little longer for the spay as there is more muscle/tissue to go through. I was not going to wait. When she came into heat she sprayed EVERYWHERE. And it stunk to high heaven. And she never kept quite.

My sister took in a female not long ago. She made the appt for a spay. Low and behold she came in heat. But Lily still went for the spay.:)

With any surgery there is a risk.

Love4himies
November 23rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Yes, you can spay a cat in heat, vets prefer not to as it is riskier due to the increase bleeding.