Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

As the weather cools...

Gail P
November 21st, 2010, 07:58 PM
we're back to training and racing. New this year I decided to give dryland racing a try. Our first race was Oct. 17 in Havelock...it was put on by the Siberian Husky Club of Canada but was open to all breeds. In the 4-dog class I competed in there were only 4 entries and I won my class :thumbs up This past weekend I entered a much bigger ISDRA sanctioned race in Bristol, Quebec that brought out competitors from Ontario, Quebec and the US. This time there were 13 entries in my class and I came in 9th, only 2 seconds off the 8th place time! Here are some pictures from the Bristol race. The first one was taken by a friend, the others by a rep. for Corey Nutrition, a sponsor of some mushers and who was there taking tons of pictures of the race. He is a friend of a friend so I was able to get some of his pictures :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 21st, 2010, 08:04 PM
Great shots!! Looks like the dogs love to work!

TeriM
November 21st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Wow, that is very cool :thumbs up.

Dee-O-Gee
November 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
Awesome photos Gail P and pretty good standings for your first dryland race too. :thumbs up

Love4himies
November 22nd, 2010, 06:54 AM
Looks like you and the pups had a blast :thumbs up, but they slept well that night :laughing:.

Gail P
November 22nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
It was great! :thumbs up I almost didn't go to Bristol...was thinking it was a bit out of my league but I kind of got talked into it and realized anyhow that I do compete in at least one ISDRA race in the winter and even in the races that aren't sanctioned some of the same level of competitors are there anyhow. Even finishing middle of the pack or lower against that level of competition I feel pretty good...when I got started I had no mentor, I've learned as I've gone along...a few tips here and there but mostly doing it on my own. With border collies and rescues that come from no sledding background whatsoever. We're competing against dogs that have been bred for generations just for this purpose and mushers with years of experience. My dogs are having a blast, I'm having a blast...so however we finish it's all good. But we are getting better too, starting to make some of the upper level teams notice :D

Oh, and yes they slept because they were supposed to sleep...but not because they were tired, lol! This race was only about 3 miles and it was easy for them besides being a bit milder than we would have liked. I've been running them further than that on training runs, usually about 4-5.5 miles or so. A couple of days ago we did a 7 mile run and they finished really strong like they could have gone on a lot longer. Maybe I should be thinking about switching to mid-distance instead of sprint. :) Yesterday we did a 4.62 mile run and my daughter took Blaze with our new scooter too. Furthest run he's done so far and he did great...not even tired at the end of it. One thing border collies are not short on is stamina.

Dog Dancer
November 22nd, 2010, 10:16 PM
That is just way too cool! It's great that you're working your way up in the ranks out of nowhere. Good on you and the pups :thumbs up

Gail P
November 22nd, 2010, 11:18 PM
That is just way too cool! It's great that you're working your way up in the ranks out of nowhere. Good on you and the pups :thumbs up
Here's where we've worked our way up from...this is our very first "sled dog" with my daughter when she was about 3.

Dog Dancer
November 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
OMG - that's too funny! :laughing: He certainly doesn't have a coat for outside and does not look amused, although he could cover a track in three bounds.

Gail P
November 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
The first time he was hooked up he thought the GT snowracer was going to eat him. Then he began to have fun with it and he'd take her down the road to meet the schoolbus and I'd jog along beside them. After she got on the bus he'd pull me back home. :thumbs up