Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Complaining Neighbours

dashn'us
November 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
Our landlord called us today to inform us that the people in our building are complaining about Dash and his barking. He's a great little guy and he's only six months old. However he really doesn't bark much at all when we're with him. Granted if he sees another dog walk by he'll bark for a minute but nothing out of control.
The neighbours that are complaining really don't have much to complain about because there is lots they do that is hard to live with.
Unfortunately we really can't tell what Dash is like when we leave and that does leave a possibility that he is lonely and yappy when we're gone, although he is never like that.
Our neighbours want us to put a shock collar on him and that is just something we would never do. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on good products that we could use to minimize barking (if he is). We don't like that people are complaining because with us he is such a great puppy. :(

erykah1310
November 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
Spray collar?
I know complaining neighbours are a real pain and sometimes having a dog is just leverage for them and they use it. But I myself have 6 dogs and I cant stand the sound of constant barking.
They bark when someone comes or goes by but never for any prolonged period of time. This has been done by teaching them to "speak" thus giving the opportunity to actually have a command for quiet.
Its hard when you're not home though.

mona_b
November 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
There is one of 2 things you can do.

1- you can set up a video camera before you leave.

2- you can leave your apt and walk down the hall. stand there for a while.

Also, Dash may be fine when you are there, but doesn't really mean he's ok when you are gone. I'm not saying he is acting up. But you need to find out if he really is.

cell
November 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Set up a video camera to record him when you are gone, and see what his behavior is. you only need about a hour of footage to get a idea what's happening, a spray collar may help, typically unless your dog is a neurotic barker it does help, but can cause new ways to cope if it is anxiety/stress barking. which could include soiling or chewing etc... but soiling and chewing won't get you kicked out or complaints I suppose, unless he is literally destroying the place instead.
Is he kenneled or loose (free-range / penned off) ?

Training to quiet the dog really will only work when you are home, I am sure neighbors don't mind him barking occasionally but if you are gone and he barks for extended periods, your not exactly there to tell him to be quiet. If you are getting complaints depending how understanding they are you may need to stop it ASAP to salvage your relationship, and apartment haha

MIA
November 21st, 2010, 11:50 PM
When I lived in an apartment my dog would bark his brains out if I didn't leave the TV on for him, I guess all the other noises in the building were a bit much for him. Not sure if you leave the TV or radio on but that might help too. Also a light would help in the evening if I went out.

I agree with others set up a camera so you have evidence of what he does when you go out, for you, your landlord and peace of mind.

Best of luck, there is nothing worse than b*tchy neighbors.

On a side note I have seen a dog ruined by an e-collar, please don't use one.

cell
November 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
if you decide to get the spray collar, check local kijiji or craigslists for used collars (check the work before buying it) typically the spray acts as a deterrent or distraction to the barking instead of a harsh correction like a shock.