Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need your help.

dog_lady
November 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM
i need advice or opinions about what my issue is,
in the month of august our bichon frise was taken to the local emergency vet for a nipped ear. We were given an estimate of 1000 dollars for a stitches surgery. We paid the estimate. not even 2hrs later we are getting called that our beloved dog had gone into cardiac arrest. They said they can only perform cpr on our dog for 15 minutes. They called us again asking if we wanted them to continue to bring him back because itll cost us an extra 100 dollars every time. We get to the clinic and they tell us that they had been performing cpr for 45 mins.
before the surgery they "performed" the necessary check up..heart etc...no records were given to us and they assured us he would make it through...they refunded us 200.
:(:cry::pray:
is there any form of negligence in the vets part?
i dont understand how my dog went into the clinic for a nipped ear, and then didnt come home with us ..

RIP :cry:.

mastifflover
November 21st, 2010, 07:14 AM
I am very sorry for your loss. It is unfortunate and sadly some dogs as humans will die under anesthetic. It is a risk of surgery. But I will say the vet estimate seems very high for the surgery. Bud had his ear canal repaired and it only cost me 800 and that is about a 1/3 higher because of his size.

Masha
November 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
I would complain to the board, because you dont really know what happened there... as mentioned, yes, anytime a dog goes under anesthetic there is a risk. The question i would want to know is -- did they do everything properly -- proper amounts of anethetic, proper testing ahead of time, etc.

its a personal choice for you... but i would try to look forther into it...

catlover2
November 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM
I would request records of all bloodwork, tests, that they did pre-op. There are some knowledgable people here who could tell you if they were the right tests and what the results mean. If they refuse to give you pre-op report or tests, then yes I would complain to the vet board.

Koteburo
November 22nd, 2010, 05:54 AM
The estimate for the surgery is outrageous. And the 100 dlls every time. It makes me so sad how in our society we try to exploit and traffic with everything and health and suffering animal and/or human are no exception. I completely understand they have to charge but is the abuse what upsets me. Why so much!
I am very sorry for you loss and as some members mentioned I'd look further into it before taking any action.

Lucien was a cat that got a wound in her paw and developed an abscess she almost died after a minor surgery because she got hypothermia. My family could save her on time. My point is, there are risks yes. I always wondered if they were negligent as well. So look into it first.

Longblades
November 23rd, 2010, 12:08 PM
I voted YES, to complain but I really think questionning the Vet first is the way to go. I imagine the board is going to ask what chance you gave the Vet to explain and/or make good first anyway.

It does seem like an awfully high quote on stitching.

Here's another idea. My Vet has me sign an approval/waiver giving permission for certain kinds of extra attention that might be needed ahead of the operation. What if they had not been able to reach you for consent to continue the CPR? My thought is that since they have a fee schedule for such emergency treatment it must be needed often enough that they should have advised you of the possibility it would be required when you took your pup in. I can't imagine any operation, dog, cat, human, where you are not advised of the anaesthesia risk.

I am so sorry you lost your beloved pup. My condolences.