Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 New Family Members :)

TwinTails
November 20th, 2010, 02:56 PM
We have been very blessed this past month, we have adopted 2 new critters :D One is Sass, a 16 1/2 year old kitty :D She was a stray that followed us home. After a couple of weeks of calls to the SPCA and local Vets, we finally found her owners, in Saskatchewan :eek: We ended up taking her to the vet that spayed and tattooed her as she was walking in circles and seemed very ill. After an overnight visit, the vet deemed her perfectly healthy, just old. Her owners did not want her back (they hadn't had her in over 6 years), so we talked about it and decided to adopt her :D She's super sweet and has taken over the household ;)

Secondly is Teani, a 6 year old ringneck dove. She was given to us to be a companion for Ozzy, our male pigeon. However, she's less than half his size and he's getting aggressive (he needs an aviary and a mate, lol!). So, she's my daily companion while I am working or relaxing, she hangs out with me and is such a love! Even hubby, who doesn't really like birds, is enamored with her :flirt:

Onto pics, just a couple for now, until I can get better ones of Sass. She came in at only a few pounds, and now has more than tripled her weight :D Gotta love Evo ;)

chico2
November 20th, 2010, 04:27 PM
TT,the Dove is just beautiful,love them and Pigeons for that matter,but I guess they don't pair up well:shrug:
Little Sass looks like a sweet old girl,she was lucky she found you,since her owners did not want her,that's their loss..

TwinTails
November 20th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Thank you Chico :) Sass is a doll, she's VERY talkative, though after the first 3 weeks she finally settled down and has since become a couch ornament, along with the other kitties ;)

Teani is super sweet :D I thought she'd pair nicely with Ozzy, but he wants to attack her :( But it is ok, Teani is bonding with me and is amazingly sociable. I never thought I'd enjoy a songbird as much as I am, I've always been a parrot gal ;) But the dove is certainly more amazing than all of the other birds I've ever had <3

A few more pics since I was able to get close with Macro shots today ;)

chico2
November 20th, 2010, 04:55 PM
What a beautiful girl she is:lovestruck:
When we had a Ringed Turtle Dove in our backyard,I did not know most were house-pets,but talking to HS they said this one probably was a pet let go.:(
I don't know what happened to her,more than likely was picked up by a Hawk:(

TwinTails
November 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Aww :( Unfortunately, many people think pet doves are just like pigeons and are feral. Problem is, most doves people keep as pets are purely domestic, thus never know how to be wild :(

I need to find a band for Teani, just in case she gets loose. She did have her wings clipped when we got her, but I don't like doing that (in a house with 6 cats and a dog that doesn't know his own strength, I want any bird here to have the ability to fly away). Besides, we keep the windows and doors closed when the birds are loose (each on their own time, of course).

TeriM
November 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
Congrats on your beautiful additions :lovestruck:.

TwinTails
November 21st, 2010, 12:36 AM
Thank you <3 They are both amazing fids! Sass was sleeping with me while I was sick (sleeping on the hide a bed so hubby could sleep without me bothering him), and she takes up a good half of the bed! She's very long, a good 2 1/2 feet long, and stretched out she is over 4 feet, haha! She is finally no longer gorging the food, and has a good amount of fat on her (can't see nor easily feel any bones). Since I changed the cats to Evo, they are all getting a good healthy body weight, and she has filled out considerably. The vets were completely shocked at how tiny she was when she went in, and that was after 2 weeks of as much food as she wanted. Thankfully she's a healthy old gal ;)