Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog gone deaf. Please help.

JD_91
November 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Hello,

I have a 9 year old Boston Terrier, extremely healthy, and well taken care of. He was fine 2 days ago, and didn't show a single sign of any health or hearing problems.

He has been having pain around his ears, and is yelping very loudly in pain. I figured it was an ear infection, so I got ear drops and gave it to him to help with that.

Today I tried calling his name, clapping my hands/fingers, shaking the bag of treats, all the things he has been responding to for years and years, he can no longer hear anything, out of either ear. No matter how loud or close I get to him. This is not normal for this dog.

This is very worrisome, I am waiting for a cancellation at the local vet office, but I want to know if anyone has seen this before. I've had dogs my whole life, over 10+ dogs, some have died of old age, some have moved on to other homes, my family rescues dogs. I have never seen this before, I have seen dogs loose hearing over time at old age but not instantly.

How can a dog randomly go deaf, hear one day the next not? Can an extreme ear infection cause this? and if the ear infection can cause that, if it's only in 1 ear, should he hear out of the other? I am not certain if the infection is in both, but I am have been treating both with ear drops.

Thanks, for reading.

pbpatti
November 20th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hi, sorry that you and your pup are going through this, sadly I have no info for you. I hope that you can get him into your vet asap... patti

Ally&Jakub
November 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I think that in really severe cases ear infections can cause deafness. As a child I was prone to ear infections and I had a ruptured ear drum in my left ear. My hearing isn't as good in that ear anymore, but it's still OK. But if you got the ear drops for him, then that makes me think it could be something else. Hopefully you can see the vet soon. Keep us posted!

mastifflover
November 20th, 2010, 02:59 PM
First off if your vet can't see you go to an emergency clinic. If your dog was yelping it sounds like a severe ear infection and would require antibiotics and ear drops. If these were not from the vet they will not get rid of an infection that is that severe. I speak from experience my last Mastiff had chronic ear infections from being abused that left him with an ear canal that was damaged. At the first sign of an infection he was at the vet he had only partial hearing in that ear and infection could cause him to be profoundly deaf. If it is an ear infection and you get treatment right away the deafness may not be permanent. It also could be something else but get your baby to the vet. Please update us on how he is doing. Good luck and you could post a pic of him

MaxaLisa
November 20th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I might be concerned in something like an inflammation in the brain, caused by infection, recent vaccination, etc. There clearly seems to be a pain component to it. I always use a three prong approach - evet/or regular vet, acupuncture, and chiropractic, to evaluate these sorts of things, unless one of them can find an immediate cause.

JD_91
November 21st, 2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your responses.

I have an appointment monday to see the vet, it was the earliest I could get in. It seems like the pain has gone but he still can't hear, this worries me. He may be deaf permanently. Hopefully not.

Roger & Corey
November 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Please tell me that you did NOT use gentamicin. I used this as prescribed by a vet and it caused my dog to go deaf. His hearing did improve a little after months. I was furious with the vet who prescribed it. I read the insert in the medicine and it does state that this product can cause this. I was angry with the vet because I felt like he should have told me that this was a risk and I could have decided. I will never use this product in another animal again.
The best of luck to you and your little fella.:pawprint: