Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some advice..........PLEASE!

Bella10
November 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a new member here and don't know the ropes around here yet. I have a question though.

I have a 14 week old Golden Lab/retreiver mix named Bella. Ive had her for a week now as theneighbour wasn't looking after her properly so, being the dog lover that i am and growing up always having a dog, I took her in.
She gets very excited around children and loves my 11 month old son. My friend came over yesturday and as she was walking up to us, Bella went to run up to them. Once she got to the end of the extenda-leash she fell backwards and landed on her left side. She started yelping for about 15-20 seconds and then wouldn't walk on her back left leg. When we came in I sat on the couch and massaged her leg. She cried for a second and then stopped. She seemed like she was enjoying it. I called the vet and he said to give it 24 hours, if things haven't changed then bring her in. Today, she is walking on it with no problem. When she runs she limps slightly and she has a bit of trouble getting up on the couch. I noticed a little swelling around her ankle but she is still walking on it with no issue.
My question is, could it still be broken even if shes walking on it? I know you can't tell 100% without xrays if it's broken or not but has anyone heard of a dog still walking on a broken leg?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Dog Dancer
November 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM
First of all thank you for taking in Bella. As none of us here are vets, it's very hard for us to say what is wrong with her leg, but if it hasn't improved in a day like the vet suggested I would take her in for a quick look. It may just be a sprain, but the vet would be best equipped to tell you. With any luck he'll be able to tell you without xrays, and if necessary he may give you some pills for the pain and inflamation. I wouldn't suggest letting her jump or run around for a while. And by the way, flexi leads are terrible leashes really - IMO. You've just learned one lesson the hard way as has Bella. Once she is full grown this leash will be of no use whatsoever to you.

MaxaLisa
November 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I know you can't tell 100% without xrays if it's broken or not but has anyone heard of a dog still walking on a broken leg?

I think that dogs are amazing at working through pain - almost nothing would surprise me in that regard. Could be a break, fracture, sprain, misalignment of the vertebrae, etc.

Bella10
November 18th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for your responses. I don't like flexi-leads but my fiancÚ bought it and refuses to use anything else. I even read these replies to him. I have always had a dog since I was very young and have also trained one and competed in obedience competitions and I would never use a flexi-lead but in this case it was out of my hands but I will be buying a regular leash.
She has improved alot since yesterday. She is walking on it and playing on it even though I'm trying to get her to take it easy but explaining that to a puppy is like explaining it to my 11 month old son. lol
I have made her an appointment with the vet for Tuesday. She has to get her first shots anyway. We were told she had the shots but there are no records/proof so we have to get them. Our neighbor wasn't very good to her. He locked her up in the basement and I would hear her crying until he came from work. He complained that she would always pee in the house meanwhile when we took her, she had a couple accidents but then learned to go outside. He also had her on the most crappiest food ever. Kibbles and bits! (no offense to anyone who uses it. It's just not my choice of dog food). She is now on Halo. IMO it's the best dog food out there. He aloe use to let her out off the leash out front. I have saved her several times from getting hit by a car. I couldn't live with the guilt if she got hurt or killed so we gave him $100 for her. I'm on maternity leave and my fiancÚ is just starting a job next week so we are tight for money right now but I couldn't take seeing how she had to live.
Anyways, that's my story. lol Thank you soooo much for your advice. I greatly appreciate it. If anyone else has any advice I'd be happy to hear it. Knowledge is power.

Ally&Jakub
November 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I would definitely try to keep him off the leg for a while (as much as is possible with puppies). I had a ferret with a sore leg a few years ago, and it cleared up on its own. We took him to the vet anyways just to be sure, and the vet said that it was just a sprain. The place we got him from warned us about his leg, and of course that made me want to adopt him even more and nurse him back to health. Everything worked out fine in the end, so I'm sure your little guy will be back to frolicking in no time. Also, I have a quick question. My dog, Indica, is my first dog and we have a flexi lead for her. I didn't know they weren't all that good, what would be a better leash for her?

mona_b
November 20th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I hope everything works out will Bella. It does sound like just a sprain. Personally I have never heard of a dog being able to walk on a broken leg.

I hate those flexis. A woman was walking her dog on one. They dog was wayyyy infront. Dog saw something across the street. Dog went across the road with a car coming. Dog got hit.:(

I was walking my dog and came around the corner. Only to be met up with another who got right in my dogs face. The dog was on a flexi with the owners lagging far behind. Trust me, I was soooo NOT polite.:D

You don't have the control on those as you do with a regular one. And look what happened with poor Bella.:(

Ally&Jakub, just get either a leather or nylon. With the nylon they have different colours.:D

Bella10
November 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks everyone. She is using her leg more and more now. It is still a bit sore but definitely better but will still see the vet on Tuesday.
I can't stand flexi-leads! Not only are they un-safe but when your trying to train your pup it's not as easy to use. You'll find yourself with rope burns.

mona_b
November 21st, 2010, 09:37 PM
Glad to hear she's getting better.:thumbs up

Never used one and never will. When my daughter got her new pup, she looked at me and said, no flexi right? I looked at her and daid, that's my girl. You do pay attention to things I tell you. LOL.

Bella10
November 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone, a little update on Bella.
She had her vet appointment today and she got an X-ray. Apparently the Distal Tibial growth plate shifted slightly and that is what's causing the pain and slight swelling. The vet said that if she was 8 weeks or younger then he would be concerned but said that it will heal on it's own. He wants us to keep her active but on a leash (which we do anyway) and he doesn't want her jumping around too much. Going for walks is fine but don't let her run and jump around for 2-3 weeks. There are chances that this leg might not fully grow but it won't be noticeable at all and will not be awkward for her at all. It may just grow normally.
Thanks for all the advice. It was greatly appreciated. I'm glad to have found such a great site and will continue to be here.