Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A cat questions for my friends.....

cpietra16
November 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I already have him booked to see the vet but I am curious as to what it can be??
Antonio has lost his "meow"...that's right, not his groove, but his meow. Now I have to say its nice not to have him meow because when he meows...he meows..full volume.

He has also been coughing or choking almost like he has a sore throat.
Do cats get sore throats????? What can this be? can he have something stuck in his throat?
I found some mucus this morning with some blood in it. Now with the other cats, it may not be Antonio, but chances are it is. Can his throat be irritated by something???
I am curious if anyone has ever had this happen to their cats. With all my cats in the last 100 years, this is a first.
thanks

14+kitties
November 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Taken from: http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/44/Cat-Sounds-Feline-Vocal-Communication.html

When a cat that is normally vocal loses her voice or become hoarse, it could indicate an inflammation of the voice box. This medical condition, known as laryngitis, may be caused by throat infections, tonsillitis, inhalant allergies and pulmonary disease. Sometimes, a stress-induced behavioral problem that involves extensive yowling or mewing may cause laryngitis.

Thank you for making an appt for Antonio. I have had three in the last two weeks with sore throats. Ms. Addy, Orbit, and Calysta have all had really bad cases of URIs. Calysta was so bad every time she meowed I flinched. Poor baby. I could tell from the sound of the meow that her throat was sore. Now, a week later, she is almost healed. Her eyes are only a little gunky and her meow is back.

Can you take Antonio into a bathroom and turn on the shower to as hot as it can go. Keep him in there until the air is very moist. Or, better yet, if you have a vaporizer that you can use in a small room. It may help his throat a bit.
Good luck at the vets. :fingerscr:fingerscr

cpietra16
November 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I also want to add that he still bugs Tess, is pretty active, eats and drinks.:shrug:

cpietra16
November 17th, 2010, 06:13 PM
thanks 14+, Antonio will never stay in the bathroom. That will stress him out completely. But the vet appointment is friday, so I will try and keep the humidifier over night near his bed.

Ally&Jakub
November 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
This is probably not the case, but it wouldn't hurt to mention it to the vet. My parents' cat Millie has asthma. She would cough, wheeze and snore a lot and we didn't know what to think of it. We took het to the vet and it turned out to be asthma. She used to have to get cortizone shots every few months. She go tmuch better over time and she just had her first shot in over a year recently. It is a very manageable issue, but a little expensive. Hopefully this won't be the issue for Antonio. Let us know how the vet appt goes!

Love4himies
November 18th, 2010, 01:32 PM
First thought was calicivirus, it can cause sores, like cold sores that may bleed. Also, as 14+ stated other infections that can cause this.

Sending him lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes:

chico2
November 18th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Good luck with Antonio,hopefully nothing serious is wrong and hopefully not too expensive:pray:

Koteburo
November 19th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Best luck for Antonio :pray: and for you as well. Keep him breathing air with some moisture like 14+ advised.
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: Get better Antonio cutie

hazelrunpack
November 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Keep us posted on how it goes today! :goodvibes: