Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Worm looking thing

richie
November 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM
My 4 month old lab has bin pooing watery diarhia all day today, he vomited this morning also. He pooed this out twice today I'm not sure what it is.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4199/photoghg.jpg
He eats the grass in the backyard can this cause his diarhia? Thanks

BenMax
November 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Your dog has worms. Get panacur at the vets. This will take care of all worm types.

You will need to see a vet ASAP for the other ailments. Is there any blood when he deficates?

14+kitties
November 17th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Your puppy has worms. He needs to be treated by a vet. Please do not use any worm meds you can buy at WM or other stores. They will not work.
It's common for puppies to have worms. However at 4 months he should have been treated for them a couple of times. He may have other parasites besides the common one you showed - round worms. He needs a good all round worm medication. The sooner the better for him. :thumbs up

richie
November 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Your dog has worms. Get panacur at the vets. This will take care of all worm types.

You will need to see a vet ASAP for the other ailments. Is there any blood when he deficates?

Their's no blood. When he was vet checked at birth he was de wormed. So I'm not sure how he got worms. Thanks for your help

luckypenny
November 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM
That would be toxocara canis, or roundworm. Puppies need regular repeated de-worming, one time is not enough as it kills adult worms but not the eggs. The most effective treatment we've used on puppies is Panacur. It's administered for 3 days, then again for another 3 days 10 days later.

Roundworm eggs are usually shed in feces by non-treated animals such as other dogs, cats, raccoons, etc.

TeriM
November 17th, 2010, 09:02 PM
When he was vet checked at birth he was de wormed. So I'm not sure how he got worms.

I have been told that the majority of puppies will have worms :shrug:.

cell
November 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
looks like round worms, your dog needs to be dewormed again. Generally dogs need to dewormed a few times before they are 1 year and then it's still not a bad idea to do it annually or use a multi-anti parasitic.

14+kitties
November 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Their's no blood. When he was vet checked at birth he was de wormed. So I'm not sure how he got worms. Thanks for your help

A dog can get worms simply by having fleas; or walking where other dogs have walked; or eating another animals' feces. The list goes on.

mona_b
November 25th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Puppies actually get worms from their mother. This happens either while still in the womb or from nursing.

If I recall, pups usually get dewormed at 2 weeks old. I may be wrong.