Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Bengal: Edmonton, Hudson Park/Skyview area

Cayenne
November 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hudson Park/Skyview area: my Bengal Leopard cat went missing Nov 14. His name is Cayenne. Very friendly. He got loose from his harness so he does not have any tags on him, however, he is microchipped. Please, if you have any information, contact me asap. 780-862-2796
reward for return

I miss my baby and worry about him very much.

pbpatti
November 16th, 2010, 09:36 PM
He is very beautiful, where is Hudson park and Skyview? If I know anyone in your neighborhood I can ask them to keep an eye out for your guy. patti

Cayenne
November 16th, 2010, 11:04 PM
hi patti
thank you very much
hudson park is north west edmonton, around 137-146 avenue, and 127-142 street.

he is very beuatiful, and i worry sick about him, especially in this cold weather.

chico2
November 17th, 2010, 08:46 AM
What a beautiful cat,I hope you find him,or someone does:pray::goodvibes::fingerscrhe is not hard to miss
I see it's -10C in Edmonton:(

Cayenne
November 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM
he is very beautiful...I worry about him very much, I just hope that he is not freezing, because it is very cold and windy :sick::(:sick::(

Dog Dancer
November 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69919

I don't know if I did this cut and copy properly or not, but it should hopefully lead you to a thread with good tips for helping to find your kitty.

Good luck to you, Cayenne is gorgeous, hopefully nobody decides to keep him for their own, it would probably be tempting. Put up posters offering a "substantial" reward. Your idea of substantial and theirs may not be the same, but it may be more tantalizing than $100. as it were.

Cayenne
November 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
thank you for the link, I did everything like it says. I talked to vet clinic the day he dissapeared and they gave me the same kind of advices.
I hope people will realize, that pets ARE family members, and by keeping one that does not belong to it, it is the same crime (in my books anyway) as keeping someone's baby, just because one might think the baby is cute. It might sounds weird to someone, but it makes total sense to me.
I AM offering substantial reward, I didnot put any monetary value in posters, just to not attract some pranksters. To me, Cayenne, is everything, and I am not sure how I can put a monetary value on his life, but I am willing to pay

Love4himies
November 17th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. :grouphug:

Your kitty is probably not far and I highly recommend looking for him at 3-5 AM with a flashlight so you can see the reflection of his eyes. Ask your neighbours if you can look under their decks, in/under their sheds, etc. etc. Not sure if he is vocal, but you can use the quiet of the early morning to listen for his meows after you call his name. Another trick is shaking his favourite cat treat bag.

He may even be too afraid to come out when you are calling him. That happened to my parent's neighbour's cat ;). Five days to be found and the kitty was only a couple of doors down under my parent's deck, found at 4AM.

Cayenne
November 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM
well, this is what I've been doing so far, going out at night or early in the morning, calling him. he is very vocal, this is the nature of Bengals, and he is not shy at all, he loves dof, people, so I dont see why he would be hiding somewhere. also, I am confused why would he hide, he has been exploring our neighbourhood many times, but he always was coming home.
I am keeping my hopes high, because everybody say that it might take a week for him to come back. he is neutred, so it is not call of nature. I just think he went after a rabbit and got inot unfamiliar territory. this is why I went to breakfast television this morning to expand my area of search. I want as many people as possible see him, so he would be safe.
thank you for all your concerns.

Dog Dancer
November 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
If Cayenne strayed beyond his normal territory he may well be scared and hiding because he's lost! If he's very vocal that will help a lot. Do not give up hope, some cats on here have turned up months after going missing. Do leave a litter box out for him and a piece of your clothing in a box or something for him to shelter in. Cats are funny that way, even if he comes to sit on your doorstep he may run if he hears you coming, once spooked it takes them a while to settle back down again. Be Patient and don't give up.

Cayenne
November 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Thank you for your kind concern
I am not giving up. In fact, I thought about that he might wander beyond our neighbourhood. This is why I decided to go to Breakfast Television this morning, they promised to help with my case, I am placing an actual advertising in local area newspaper, and going to place an ad in Edmonton Sun.
I decided to take an agressive approach in finding my "baby". I am very determined, and even though I still cry whenever I talk about him, I have a course of action, thanks to all kind people advices.

14+kitties
November 17th, 2010, 05:18 PM
It is very very important when looking for a cat to go to, not phone, your humane societies or dog catcher or whatever your city has. If a cat acts feral it will be put in the feral room. These are the first cats that are put down. Please go to your HS every single day.
Bengals being what they are would be very tempting to some people. They are unusual and unique - for now. I could see someone taking your cat in and ignoring any posters, ads, etc.
One question - is he fixed? :fingerscr

chico2
November 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Yes 14+,she said he's neutered,but the fact,at least here,a beautiful Bengal can sell for $3.000 to $5.000 could be very tempting for people to keep.
He certainly is beautiful...
And Cayenne,don't worry,we all feel our animals are our babies,very important in our lives.

pbpatti
November 17th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Sorry, I do not know anyone over in that area, I live on the southside.. I hope that you find your baby soon. Keep your spirits up he will come home. patti :pray:

Cayenne
November 17th, 2010, 11:27 PM
thank you everybody for you help, concern, and positive thoughts sent my way.
I am still searching, still hoping, and I will not rest till Cayenne will be returned home safe and sound :fingerscr:pray:

Cayenne
November 20th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I decided to disclose the amount of reward for my boy's safe return - $1000.
hope it will help to bring him home:pray:

Love4himies
November 20th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I was hoping you had found him. I really think he is not far and may be in hiding or in somebody`s home. The only thing I can think of is to be calling him loudly around the neighbourhood late at night and look at people`s windows from the sidewalk to see if you see if he comes to the window in response to your voice. He is so beautiful I could see somebody wanting to keep him. :(

Cayenne
November 21st, 2010, 01:18 AM
unfortunatelly, he is still missing. I searched for him close and far. I am sooooo upset, I cannot sleep, cannot eat, cannot concentrate on anything. just searching and searching and searching

shirley1011
November 21st, 2010, 08:17 AM
Cayenne, I truly understand your heartache and not being able to function.....but don't give up. I too can understand someone wanting such a beautiful cat but just keep the pictures out there, I got a call only last spring after our dog has been missing for three years....so people do keep their eyes open.
The thing I found that was very helpful was business cards with the picture on the front and the contact info on the back....people can keep it with them in their pocket or purse....keep putting your flyer up in grocery stores...just keep up the search but be kind to yourself.

chico2
November 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
Cayenne,I am so very sorry,I totally understand how you feel:(
Hopefully someone has seen him in a friends,or neighbors house and will call for the reward:pray:
Please take care of yourself:grouphug:

Cayenne
November 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
thank you all.
I will not give up, I know my boy is out there, so I have to bring him home
I am posting an ad in Examiner (Edmonton Sun local weekly newspaper), so I hope I will reach more people. I am also preparing Big posters on neon background, so they will be more visible.
I like the idea with business card type poster, thank you, will definitely do that as well.
I will post as soon as Cayenne will be home.

shirley1011
November 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM
Keep doing the things you are doing.....it helps to keep you sane!
It is the not knowing that is so hard.
Your kitty is so distinct that if someone sees him...they will remember so just keep his picture out there!

chico2
November 21st, 2010, 04:41 PM
I hope to soon read he's back home where he belongs:pray::fingerscr:cat:

Cayenne
November 23rd, 2010, 01:51 AM
still searching :cry::cry::cry:

sassylemon
November 23rd, 2010, 05:04 AM
:pray:

http://www.spca.cambridgeweb.net/pdfs/advice_1.pdf

Apparently people have had luck with a putting a baby moniter out at night and listening for their animals that may come back. This lady did and heard her cat mewing at 3am.

chico2
November 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
sassylemon,that's amazing:thumbs up
I had a lost cat at my house,saw a poster at the local Metro-store,he matched the pic,I called the owner.
I suggested they bring something from the house,they brought a small crate,with a blanket in it he used to sleep on,some items smelling of the owner +food.
I covered the crate with a blanket and sure enough,the cat was sleeping in it the next day and the owner came and got him:thumbs up
Better yet,would be a humane trap,but the crate worked...maybe worth a try:shrug:

Cayenne
November 24th, 2010, 02:00 AM
thank you all for great support
I really appreciate your advices and support
that's what help me moving forward...well, and desire to get my baby home

Cayenne
November 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM
OMG!!! I just went to put up more posters just outside my immediate area, and saw couple of coyotes!
I am all shaking now, and dont know what to think?
Would coyote attack my cat? :cry::cry::cry:

shirley1011
November 25th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Coyotes will attack pretty much anything! Hopefully your guy isn't declawed and there are trees....that is perhaps why you can't find him ....I had a cat once gone for three months and when she came back she was full of pine needles...and my only guess was she was up a tree chased by something...and sometimes they are afraid to come down, and it never occured to me to check up in the trees.
Still don't give up hope! He is one beautiful kitty.

Love4himies
November 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Yes, coyotes will attack cats, but like shirley stated, if your kitty is not declawed, he has a chance to get away :pray:. In the Skyview area there must be some fenced in backyards that your kitty could escape in.

When we lived in St Albert, we had coyotes walking down our street in front of our house :eek:. The would come in from the fields in Sturgeon County.

chico2
November 25th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Cayenne,not to give you more worry,but unfortunately yes:(
A friend of mine who let her declawed:frustrated: little cat out,lost her to Coyotes,there was evidence left so she knew it was from her cat.
A cat with his claws has obviously a much better chance of escaping any threat,another reason not to mutilate a cat.

Look up in the trees when you are searching,I still think someone might have him,he is very beautiful and unusual.
Hopefully the award money will bring them forward:fingerscr:goodvibes::pray:

14+kitties
November 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Have you got a live trap set up on your porch or somewhere close to a window where your cat may try getting back in the house? It is possible he is coming back in the middle of the night to get back inside but you aren't hearing him. He may probably be hungry so baiting the trap with tuna, sardines, anything stinky will draw him to it.
A live trap will not hurt him but may save his life if he is out there frightened. It is much quicker and safer than other methods of capture IMO.
Are you still going to your local HS to check every day? Remember to check the feral and sick rooms as well as he may be there.

Cayenne
November 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM
thanks for reply.
no, my boy is not declawed, and I am kinna glad I forgot to trim his claws before he escaped, so he would be able to climb trees no problem. It never occur to me to look up in trees. that's what I am going to do today.
thanks for your advices.

Cayenne
November 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM
14+, yes, I have a shelter set up for him outside. I first put a box under the porch and then found out there were rabbits hiding there during night,. So, not I put Caynee's cage on the porch, put in there his fav. blanket and pillow (it has my scent on it too, so I hope it will help), and put out some food. But nothing had even moved for a week.
I think chico is right, someone has him. So I am kinna hoping that someone DOES have him, if you know what I mean. I just would rather know that my boy is safe, then that he is hurt and hungry and cold.

Love4himies
November 25th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I could see somebody scooping him up, he is a beauty. Have you tried the calling at night around the neighbourhood to see if he comes to a window? Cats should be able to hear you from inside, with no problem, unless a house is all brick, but with stucco and siding the sounds go through pretty good.

The other thing is to call on everybody in your vicinity, who knows, he may come running to the door when he hears your voice.

chico2
November 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Phew,I am glad he is not declawed,his chances are much better outside.
Did you stick"lost Cat"posters with a pic in as many vet-offices as possible?
A vet would recognize him right away...
Still hoping and :pray:for his safe return:fingerscr

Cayenne
November 25th, 2010, 10:58 PM
no, no...I would never declaw my pet. I can get a new furniture, but I cannot get my pet his full life. I called as many vet clinic as I could get a hold of, gave them description, microchip number, and all special markings, I contacted radio stations, they put it out there (I should contact them again I guess). I placed a quarter size ad in Edmonton Examiner for my area (all north west), I went last night out putting posters further and further away from my house (this is where I had an encounter with coyotes). So, one might say I am a crazy cat lady, but I would say I am determined to find my baby.

chico2
November 26th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Cayenne,then we are all crazy cat-ladies,I would search high and low,day and night if one of my cats was missing.
"Crazy-Catlady"is actually not a bad nick-name:cat:

I know you have gone all out to find your boy and we all:pray::fingerscrthat he will be home soon:grouphug:

Love4himies
November 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't be able to sleep if one of my cats was missing, so I guess I am in that category too. :grouphug:

Cayenne
November 26th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Hi, everyone.

I have a question, how easy is it to fly with a cat from Canada to States? how long does the procedure of quarantine (if any) would take? would the pet be scanned first to identify any micro chips or tattoos? :confused:

the reason why I am asking all this because this morning I got a call from a man claiming that he has my boy. BUT, the man is from NY. He told me that he bought a cat when he was visiting friends in Edmonton. It was less then 2 weeks ago. Then he flew back to NY, and now his friends are calling him saying that the cat he bought has the owner. So, he said, he decided to contact me because he is a christian and that he wants to do the right thing. I was happy-skeptical-cautious, so I asked him to send me some pictures of the cat to make sure that it is my boy. I am still waiting on them...:(

Any opinions - scam or might be truth? :pray:

shirley1011
November 26th, 2010, 11:58 PM
No quarantine but he would have been asked for health records which he wouldn't have been able to provide unless he had taken to a vet before leaving Canada.
I only had one scam during my search....and when asked for picture or micro # this person was never heard from again.
I am sure it was for the reward or just a prank.
Don't rule it out but don't let your guard down...keep up the search...it is easy for him to give you the microchip #.....and no the pet is not scanned for that before leaving Canada just a rabies vacine is all they are looking for at customs.

sugarcatmom
November 27th, 2010, 12:01 AM
My cynical nature says scam. Definitely don't give this guy any money unless you're 100% sure that it's for real. I doubt he'll be able to come up with any pics....

I have to say, a humane trap is really the way to go. It's at least worth a try.

14+kitties
November 27th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Hi, everyone.

I have a question, how easy is it to fly with a cat from Canada to States? how long does the procedure of quarantine (if any) would take? would the pet be scanned first to identify any micro chips or tattoos? :confused:

the reason why I am asking all this because this morning I got a call from a man claiming that he has my boy. BUT, the man is from NY. He told me that he bought a cat when he was visiting friends in Edmonton. It was less then 2 weeks ago. Then he flew back to NY, and now his friends are calling him saying that the cat he bought has the owner. So, he said, he decided to contact me because he is a christian and that he wants to do the right thing. I was happy-skeptical-cautious, so I asked him to send me some pictures of the cat to make sure that it is my boy. I am still waiting on them...:(

Any opinions - scam or might be truth? :pray:

Pretty easy to figure out if it's a scam. If the person comes back asking for money to be sent then you know it is. You said the cat was microchipped. Ask him to take the cat to a vet and have the checked for the chip and then have the chip read. :shrug: That would answer any questions.
I think when a cat travels over borders there has to be proof of vaccination at the very least.

14+, yes, I have a shelter set up for him outside. I first put a box under the porch and then found out there were rabbits hiding there during night,. So, not I put Caynee's cage on the porch, put in there his fav. blanket and pillow (it has my scent on it too, so I hope it will help), and put out some food. But nothing had even moved for a week.
I think chico is right, someone has him. So I am kinna hoping that someone DOES have him, if you know what I mean. I just would rather know that my boy is safe, then that he is hurt and hungry and cold.

When I asked about a live trap I am talking an actual trap that you can catch an animal in humanely. The cat is trapped and can not get out of the trap if set properly until someone releases it. A shelter set up outside is not the same thing IMO. A cat may take refuge in the shelter for a couple of hours and then be off wandering again.

Cayenne
November 27th, 2010, 12:47 AM
well, the guy said that he did take the cat to a vet before they left, because according to him, the cat was in poor health. But I am actually willing to bet (well, at least 99%, I just leave myself that 1% chance :pray: ...) that this was a scam.

as per a trap... 14+, I DO understand what you are saying, believe me, but I just highly doubt the effectiveness of it in my case. I would probably catch more rabbits then any cat. I left out my baby's fav. food and check it like 20 times per day, but nothing...nothing moves...I check my backyard, I go out in a field and parks in my area to check trails on snow to see if anything looks like it might be a cat...:(
I still have my hopes high, I still trying to get a word out there..still looking..and hoping.

Love4himies
November 27th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I bet it is a scam. When we brought our cats into NY state, they didn't ask for anything, but coming back into Canada I needed a Rabies certificate from my vet.

I am willing to bet your cat is not far. If they coyotes got him, you would probably see signs of a kill.

There are some unscrupulous people out there that would keep your cat, even knowing you are looking for him.

Another thing I thought of is to go to any schools that are in your neighbourhood and ask the principal if you can distribute a picture of your cat and ask the teachers to ask their students if they have seen your cat.

chico2
November 27th, 2010, 09:37 AM
L4,a good idea,he is a cat that would make kids notice:fingerscr
I too think it's a scam,but I can understand how you would feel,the"what if's"would tear at me..:(

Some people,we all know,have no morals or compassion,hopefully you'll have some proof,but I somehow doubt it..
At least we know he's neutered and can never be used for a profitable breeder.

14+kitties
November 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM
as per a trap... 14+, I DO understand what you are saying, believe me, but I just highly doubt the effectiveness of it in my case. I would probably catch more rabbits then any cat. I left out my baby's fav. food and check it like 20 times per day, but nothing...nothing moves...I check my backyard, I go out in a field and parks in my area to check trails on snow to see if anything looks like it might be a cat...:(
I still have my hopes high, I still trying to get a word out there..still looking..and hoping.

:shrug: Just trying to cover all avenues of possible capture. :shrug:

shirley1011
November 27th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Yes L4H a great idea.When Sable was missing the kids at the one school were so helpful..and even reported seeing him. The teacher was a dog lover and posted it on the bulletin board and put out a stack of lost posters for the kids to take home.
Kids really understand the meaning of a lost pet! and they will do anything to help.
I guess when you got the call from "NY?" you didnt have call display to get the number they called from? but then my guess is it came in as unknown like all the telemarketers do!!!
Keep the hope alive....

Cayenne
November 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM
thank you guys! :grouphug: you give me energy to keep going

pbpatti
November 27th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Going to the schools in your area and further with posters is a great idea, it would be one that I would sure look at. :fingerscr I hope he comes home soon. I keep coming back here to your thread for good news...not yet but I am sure he will be home soon. patti

Cayenne
November 29th, 2010, 12:45 AM
What a day today - like a roller-coaster!

Got a call from that guy from NY, he sent me pics of "my cat". The first picture looked kinna like my cat from the back, so I asked him to send me another picture of my boy's face. I received a picture of two people holding a cat. The guy said that this is his friend and a vet. I posted the picture on facebook, immediately got replies that that were well known cat shows judge and one of Bengal breeders, and the first picture that I was sent was of a famous photographer.
I was mad...but decided to play along with that guy trying to get his info. I agreed to pay him to get my boy back and asked him for his wire info. He said I should send money to his sister...in PANAMA!! what an a$$....
Anyway, I collected the information I have so far and will go to cops tomorrow, at least they can proceed with fraud and copyright law, because the breeder and photographer want to press charges against this guy.

Now, it is evening, and I am getting a call from a fellow who lives in my neighborhood and saw posters, and is saying they just caught a cat in their backyard. The cat is orange with spots... I almost lost my mind, my hands were shaking so badly I could not even start the car. Finally, 10 mins later from the call, I met them...and...it is orange tabby. Poor thing is so scared, and miserable, I almost wanted to take him. But the couple is taking the cat to the pound, and I just hope that this cat is dearly missed and will find his way back home...

And I am still hoping, and waiting on my baby's return :pray:

chico2
November 29th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Cayenne,wow what an emotional roller-coaster:(
I:pray:you'll get the best X-Mas present ever:grouphug:

Cayenne
November 30th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Receive a call today from a gentleman who was concerned that the Bengal cat I picture as mine might be his. I assured him that this is my cat and I have all the documentations to prove it. He said he lives in the same area as me, and his Bengal cat went missing too, so he thought that I found his cat and adopted him. Anyway, long story short, we started wondering if there is a person who lives in our area who stole one cat once, got away with that, and now did it again?

Love4himies
November 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM
There are selfish people out there that will see your posters and not call you if they have your cat. They justify it by how happy it is making their children and nobody else's feelings are considered :(.

That is why I mentioned calling his name loudly while walking down the street to see if he appears in a window, or to go to schools to talk to the principal to see if teachers will show pics of your kitty in hopes a child speaks up that a friend has him, or he is now "their" kitty. Your kitty is so very beautiful and distinct that he will stick out in a child's mind.
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Don't give up, he is out there somewhere :grouphug: :goodvibes::goodvibes:

shirley1011
November 30th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Oh wow! Cayenne that is awful but I would say not an impossibility.
Maybe they thought they could breed them....not realizing what you need to do that! for the $$$$$$ I could see that!
Keep up your search.....I know mine came home months after being missing even after I had given up hope.

Cayenne
December 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM
It is getting actually to a ridiculous point. Not only the guy from NY (which I don't think is from US at all) was trying to scam me, now, after we caught his bluff, he started threatening me. I asked him to leave me along but now he sends me emails harassing me.
I already submitted all info on him to the fraud prevention department, but now I probably should contact the police. :confused:

Plus, I started receiveing ridiculous messages through Kijiji (this is where I posted my ad) from people like
"i seen a dead cat in skyview yesterday no lies"
When I ask a person to locate the area, I get no reply.

Why, oh why, some people are so cruel? I wanted simply to pay money for return of my boy (was trying to make it easier for a person who has Cayenne), but in turn getting myself involved in all these weird things. I still go out at night calling for my boy, but now I doubt more and more that he is even on streets in my area.
Animal pound knows me already,so they told me they are looking out for me as well. :cat:
Today, I am going to schools to spread out flyers. Hope this would help. :fingerscr

Love4himies
December 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: People are just so cruel :mad:

shirley1011
December 1st, 2010, 01:33 PM
I had some of that cruelness when I was looking for Sable but mostly wonderful helpful folks.
Hopefully the kids at school will be on the lookout for your boy...I know the schools I approached were so helpful.

chico2
December 1st, 2010, 04:55 PM
cayenne,I am so very sorry,there are cruel jerks everywhere:evil:
If I lived anywhere near you I would help out in your search,I can so understand what you are going through:(

Maybe:pray::pray::pray:the schools will help:fingerscr:goodvibes::fingerscr:grouphug:

sassylemon
December 1st, 2010, 05:27 PM
I know its a long shot, but maybe try the baby-monitor thing outside. Maybe he is still hanging around and you just haven't been able to find him? :shrug:

:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:I hope you find him soon

Edited to say:

Have you tried this? Maybe it will help

http://www.petlynx.net

If an animal is found and they are put into the care of Alberta Animal Services on petlynx

kara1
December 4th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Cayenne im on the south side of edmonton i will try and keep an eye out here its a long shot but any help is good help

Cayenne
December 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM
thank you guys :grouphug:

I will post once I will find my "baby" :cat:

Cayenne
December 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Good news - my neighbor (less than a block away from me) saw my boy; his kid described "i saw a tiger cat" :cat:
Bad news - I can not find him...by the time the guy pulled into his garage, went to take a look at my flayer, call me, by the time I drove there from work, my baby was not anywhere close. I spend next 2 hours looking for him, calling him..but nothing...

but at least I know that my baby is alive and in the area...just hope he will find his way back home. :pray::fingerscr

Love4himies
December 8th, 2010, 08:03 AM
That is good news :thumbs up. If he is really scared, he may not come out. I know it seems hard to believe, but I have had it happen with my Jasper last year. He was only feet away from me in long grass (about 4 feet tall) and wouldn't come out when I was calling him only feet away. He let out the tiniest of mews that I barely heard and I actually had to pick him up, he wouldn't come out, he was so scared. And this is a cat who comes running every time somebody calls his name.

Can you put out a live trap? I bet he is not far from where he was spotted.

chico2
December 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM
L4 and Cayenne,that's what I was thinking too,the only way to catch him if he is close by is a trap,it could be left near the neighbors house in an area with bushes.
Maybe the neighbor will cooperate and look after the trap:cat:
I am glad he's been seen,it could be possible another neighbor is feeding him:shrug:
Our Humane Society lends out humane traps,maybe yours does too..

shirley1011
December 8th, 2010, 08:49 AM
That is the best news....like L4H says they are not the same cat when they are in an environment that is strange to them.
He needs to come home....it is getting cold out there.
I know how hard this has been for you...but at least now you know
he is out there, just keep doing what you have been doing and consider the live trap.

Cayenne
December 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM
My only concern is that there are so many rabbits in our area. Will a trap work or I will end up catching only rabbits? :confused:

14+kitties
December 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM
My only concern is that there are so many rabbits in our area. Will a trap work or I will end up catching only rabbits? :confused:

In the past three years my live trap is set probably 75% of the time. I have caught raccoons, a couple of possums, and lots of kitties. Never ever have I caught a rabbit. They just are not interested in the food that should be baiting the trap.
You may catch a skunk. Simple matter of dropping a towel/blanket over the trap which should be over it anyway, moving the trap to a spot conducive for releasing the skunk, and opening the trap while standing behind it. The skunk will waddle off without spraying you if you remain calm. Chances of catching a skunk is small as well.
You may even catch other cats. If that is the case simply release it. Once trapped a cat will not go back into the trap unless it is absolutely starving and wants the food.
Good luck.

Dog Dancer
December 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
What great news that Cayenne is still out there and alive. I have to agree that a live trap is probaby your best bet. 14+ has tons of experience with traps and can give you great advice on how to set it and what to bait it with. Something stinky - think sardines or tuna. Blanket over the top of it. Good luck!

chico2
December 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I too have had traps out and once I caught a Raccoon and another time a neighbors cat,they don't get hurt,you just have to release them.
I agree with 14+,rabbits would not be interested in cat-food.
The only problem is the cold,it would freeze the food,so you might have to get some stinky dry food.

Dog Dancer
December 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Also, because of it being winter, if you use a live trap it must be checked frequently to ensure that anything you may catch does not freeze to death before you check on it! You may be able to enlist the neighbour who's property the cat was spotted on to help with this.

Cayenne
December 8th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Animal care & control does not rent live traps after October 31 (due to cold weather); they also recommended me NOT to set it up even if I will find one, again, because of weather conditions.
I put outside some dry food with fried bacon and grease from bacon, so at least it stinks. not my baby's fav. food...well, not at all, but at least it is something...
I also will go out tonight carrying a bag of mix of dry food, bacon with grease, so he might smell it and might come out of wherever he is hiding...

it is going to be -21 tonight, snowing and with wind..I HAVE to find him!!! :pray::pray::pray:

shirley1011
December 8th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Is it far from where you live that he was seen? It is getting so cold I hope you find him soon....sending good vibes you find him tonight!

sassylemon
December 8th, 2010, 08:46 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: for finding him tonight :pray::pray:

Cayenne
December 9th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Is it far from where you live that he was seen?

this is my neighbor form down the street, approx. 20 houses away

I t
I agree with 14+,rabbits would not be interested in cat-food.

just witnessed rabbit eating cat's dry food. I put it just outside my backyard (we facing the ravine). Went to check, and yeah...the food is gone...maybe rabbits in our area are special? :shrug: maybe it is just the quality of the food...

No signs of my boy, I've been searching for about 3 hours, walked two areas twice, was calling and calling...
it is cold and snowing..

I only hope that if he was able to survive for 3 weeks, he might survive for a little bit longer...until I find him :pray:

Cayenne
December 9th, 2010, 02:02 AM
14+...
I don;t question your experience and I really apprecaiate all your advises, but I have to agree with Animal control here: "It is too cold for an animal to be trapped in a metal cage, and not be able to move around. This is why we do not rent traps starting November and till April, and stronly suggest to not set up any traps...It can only make it worse for the animal"
I was trying to tell the lady that I have to catch my cat, but she was really convincing, and I see her point.
Maybe, if it would not be this cold, live trap would BE a solution, but for now, I put outside Cayenne's kennel with some of food inside.
I just hope that since he has been spotted, he is on his way home

growler~GateKeeper
December 9th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Just wanted to pass along some :goodvibes:, :fingerscr & :pray:ers :grouphug:

Love4himies
December 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM
14+...
I don;t question your experience and I really apprecaiate all your advises, but I have to agree with Animal control here: "It is too cold for an animal to be trapped in a metal cage, and not be able to move around. This is why we do not rent traps starting November and till April, and stronly suggest to not set up any traps...It can only make it worse for the animal"
I was trying to tell the lady that I have to catch my cat, but she was really convincing, and I see her point.
Maybe, if it would not be this cold, live trap would BE a solution, but for now, I put outside Cayenne's kennel with some of food inside.

It is also cruel to let your cat die of starvation, or get hit by a car, or caught by coyotes, or freeze to death. Need I go on? Animal control is right, an animal can freeze to death in a trap, this is why you would need cooperation from the people where the trap is set to be checked on regularly. When I set my trap out in the winter I use an old wool army blanket to put around the trap to keep any critter protected from the cold and wind.

I know if it was my cat, I would be doing what ever it took to get it back home.

shirley1011
December 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I agree with the others Cayenne, a trap is probably your best bet if you want to get him home safe.
I would have set a trap for Sable if he had been spotted that close to where he went missing...even if it meant manning it all night...I was searching and awake worrying anyway so may as well have done something constructive.
We only caught a raccoon and all that was wrong with him is he was a litte p.ssed off he had got caught!
If your cover the trap cage as L4H mentioned so there is no direct draft, and check the trap often should be ok. Animal Control do not have the man power to keep check on the traps.
You can buy them for not too many $$ and then you can donate to Animal Control after you catch him.
Fingers crossed you catch you guy soon.

sugarcatmom
December 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM
14+...

That's ridiculous. There's a group here in Calgary called the MEOW Foundation, and they trap all winter long. Cat's lives depend on it. The key is to monitor the traps regularly, as Love4 said, and to cover it with a blanket. Don't set the trap if you don't think you can check it every couple hours. Seriously, I think the only way you're going to get your cat back is to get a trap.

As for the rabbits eating the cat food: did you actually SEE the rabbits do it? And if you set the trap with something like sardines or tuna, you aren't going to catch a rabbit. :rolleyes:

shirley1011
December 9th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Now that you mention it SCM, there was a group up in Orillia that trapped all winter....it certainly doesn't hurt the animal even if it's Peppy L'pew....but at least that way Cayenne you wouldn't always wonder..what if I tried a trap! I have those regrets everyday with what I didn't do! I was surprised to see how inexpensive the traps are when I saw them in a farm flyer a few weeks ago...well inexpensive compared to the cost of advertising and gas costs that I spent.

chico2
December 9th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Cayenne,I don't know if you've already done this,but I would go and knock on every door in the neighborhood where he was sighted,check their backyards.
For him to have survived this long in the cold,someone must be feeding him..some people just don't look at posters:shrug:

As for Animal Control,they must know,an animal can freeze to death just falling asleep in that cold,whether it be a trap or just under a bush....he needs to be found.

Actually,when I was trapping a little stray,Humane Society told me not to leave it out after I've gone to bed and I usually brought it inside after midnight.
I still managed to trap the cat,since it got dark really early
Luckily he was micro-chipped and his owners picked him up,at HS.

14+kitties
December 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM
just witnessed rabbit eating cat's dry food. I put it just outside my backyard (we facing the ravine). Went to check, and yeah...the food is gone...maybe rabbits in our area are special? :shrug: maybe it is just the quality of the food...

Oh my! Yes, a rabbit will eat dry cat food. You do not bait a live trap with dry cat food. You bait it with tuna, salmon, really stinky cat food, even catnip if all else fails. Dry cat food will not attract a cat. :shrug:

14+...

Hate to say it but Animal Control doesn't always know what they are doing. The purpose of a live trap when catching a cat is not to leave it alone for hours upon hours. Especially in winter weather. You also do not put a live trap out in the open. Most cats on the prowl will stick to areas where they can slink from one sheltered spot to another. It's a question of survival. A live trap should be set as close to a heavily sheltered area as possible, covered with a heavy blanket to cut as many drafts as possible, and monitored hourly or constantly from a safe distance (as to not scare away the cat). The rescue I work through to get my cats fixed - over 60 so far - uses traps all year round. They have a very proven track record.

It is also cruel to let your cat die of starvation, or get hit by a car, or caught by coyotes, or freeze to death. Need I go on? Animal control is right, an animal can freeze to death in a trap, this is why you would need cooperation from the people where the trap is set to be checked on regularly. When I set my trap out in the winter I use an old wool army blanket to put around the trap to keep any critter protected from the cold and wind.

I know if it was my cat, I would be doing what ever it took to get it back home.

THANK YOU!!!

I sincerely hope this is your cat. It's amazing what a child would consider a "tiger cat". You also must remember you are dealing with a breed that is not so far off being a wild animal. JMO I wish you luck.

BenMax
December 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have set out live traps for cats in the winter, wrapped in heavy blankets and in sheltered areas away from the elements. When I set the traps (close to my office) I checked every 15 minutes. I dismantled them when I was not there. I was able to trap the cats and get them somewhere safe.

14+K, Sugarcatmom, Chico and other cat savvy people seriously know exactly what they are talking about. I sincerely hope that you follow their instructions as they are an incredible wealth of information.

Cayenne
December 9th, 2010, 07:01 PM
ok, I finally found the place where I can rent a trap - exterminators. I will pick it up tomorrow, set it up, and will get my boy back (this is my mantra.:)...I rely on your experience).

As for the rabbits eating the cat food: did you actually SEE the rabbits do it?

Yes, I actually saw a rabbit eating the food. I was watching through the window and then went to check it..The rabbit only ate the portion without bacon grease, so at least the stinky stuff is still out there

Cayenne,I don't know if you've already done this,but I would go and knock on every door in the neighborhood where he was sighted,check their backyards.
For him to have survived this long in the cold,someone must be feeding him..some people just don't look at posters:shrug:

Yes, Chico, I did talk to neighbors and still talk to whoever I can spot in my area, even if a person is passing by.
I know for the fact that some of my neighbors did set up some food in their backyards - I asked them to - right after my boy wen missing.So I hope the food is still out there.

Anyway, gonna go for search soon, hope to spot at least some of his foot prints, because I start doubting that my baby in the area. It snowed last night, so I went early in the morning to see any footprints in the ravine and just around our neighborhood. Found tons of rabbits footprints and some of dogs ones, but nothing that would look like cats. I just hope that he is hiding somewhere, and trap will work tomorrow.

t.pettet
December 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Time is of the essence and a humane trap is a pretty sure-fire way of getting him safely home so best of luck tomorrow.

Cayenne
December 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM
when is the best time of the day to set up a trap? morning, evening? during the day (it is pretty quite here during the day)

sugarcatmom
December 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
ok, I finally found the place where I can rent a trap - exterminators. I will pick it up tomorrow, set it up, and will get my boy back (this is my mantra.:)...I rely on your experience).

Yay!!!! When you set it up, put a blanket underneath, a large blanket on top, and if it's snowing you can put a garbage bag over that to keep it drier. Make sure nothing interferes with the door swinging shut (practice springing it just in case). Put a thinner blanket (like a baby blanket) on the floor of the trap, lightly covering the trip plate. In the back of the trap, put some really stinky food (the aforementioned sardines or tuna, Whiskas pouch food, fish flavoured Fancy Feast, etc) in a small plastic dish like an old sour cream container.

when is the best time of the day to set up a trap? morning, evening? during the day (it is pretty quite here during the day)

My experience has been that dusk and dawn are the best times.

Cayenne
December 9th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Thank you SCM...I will do everything you say

But what I don't understand is two things:
1) when I go out an call my baby's name, all dogs inside can hear me (they start barking), some cats and even kids can hear me too (they run to windows and watch me)...but somehow my baby cannot hear me :confused::cry:
2) I checked all food containers I put out around the area my neighbor saw my cat at, but everything is untouched...does it mean that he is not in the area??? (the food is not frozen, I checked and made sure it is loose)

I checked some neighbors backyards with sheds and hottubs (!)..well, at least there are warm areas in our neighborhood, so my boy would not freeze :goodvibes:

have high hopes for tomorrows trap

sugarcatmom
December 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM
But what I don't understand is two things:
1) when I go out an call my baby's name, all dogs inside can hear me (they start barking), some cats and even kids can hear me too (they run to windows and watch me)...but somehow my baby cannot hear me :confused::cry:

He may indeed be hearing you, but be too scared to come out to you. Here are some really good articles on lost cat behaviour and how best to find them:
http://www.pawswithheart.com/finding_a_lost_cat.htm
http://www.sonic.net/~pauline/profile.html

2) I checked all food containers I put out around the area my neighbor saw my cat at, but everything is untouched...does it mean that he is not in the area???

Depends on the food you're leaving out. If it's kibble, he may not be finding it, or perhaps he's found a better food source. Or he's too scared to approach the dish. Leave out the stinkiest food possible, which tends to be fishy stuff. Some of those Fancy Feast and Whiskas flavours are so rank you could smell them a mile away. Put out fresh food frequently so the odour remains strong.

Marty11
December 10th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I'm praying for you Cayenne :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:
I am hoping to wake up to good news......................

Dog Dancer
December 10th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Good luck Cayenne :pray: We're all praying that you get your kitty home soon. Please don't get discouraged if you don't catch him the first time. It may take a few days and lots of patience.

Love4himies
December 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Good luck :goodvibes::goodvibes:

rainbow
December 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I've been following your thread but haven't posted as you were getting information from the best people here. Cayenne is absolutely gorgeous and I hope that you catch him soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Cayenne
December 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM
thank you thank you thank you :grouphug:

I set up the trap, checked in twice so far, but have not caught even a rabbit (not that I want to :) )
Will it help if I sprinkle a little bit of sardines oil around the trap?

Love4himies
December 11th, 2010, 07:22 AM

I set up the trap, checked in twice so far, but have not caught even a rabbit (not that I want to :) )

No, I would put the food inside the trap, the trick is to get them inside and not to have anything outside the trap to distract them. If there are sardines inside the trap, a cat will be able to smell it just as good as outside the trap.

How is the weather?

14+kitties
December 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM

It would not hurt to have a line of oil from the can leading up to the trap. Not sprinkled around it. When I finally managed to trap my wiliest girl it was by taking the liquid from tuna and dripping a line up to the door or the trap. It will not be as effective in the winter because the scent would essentially "freeze" but every little bit helps. It has been my experience that I have caught more cats with tuna than sardines. Not many of my gang even like sardines. :shrug:

rainbow
December 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
My cats won't eat sardines either although they do like the smell when I open a can. :shrug: They much prefer tuna over anything. :thumbs up

Good luck Cayenne ......hope today is the day. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Cayenne
December 11th, 2010, 05:01 PM
day 1 (well, night 1) was no luck. I will try to do a trail of sardines oil tonight, it might help.

I also have a question: where is the best place to set up the trap? does it have to be it bushes, or it can be somewhere in the open (the area where my boy was seen last). I would not set it up in neighbor backyards, because all of their yards are enclosed, I did not find any open area (hole) that a cat might squeeze into. So I was wondering should I set up the trap on a pathwalk that leads to a ravine or should it be some bushes and trees area in the ravine itself?

chico2
December 11th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Cayenne,I put mine in my frontyard,between 2 bushes and covered it with a blanket,except for the opening.
A lost cat,is more likely to stay out of the open spaces,but you never know.

Where do you keep the trap,is it where he was spotted,or at your house??
Is the neighbor-lady helping you??
I hope it was your cat they saw:pray:

I would think,if someone is feeding him or has him in their house,$1.000 reward would be an incentive for them to call you,but maybe they have not seen the poster....Cayenne:grouphug:to you and good luck:pray:

Cayenne
December 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Where do you keep the trap,is it where he was spotted,or at your house??

I put the trap where he was spotted, not near my house. Even though the trap is set up in a ravine (park), it is still quite away from my house.

Is the neighbor-lady helping you??

No, my boy was spotted near an old fellow house, and the guy is not in the mood of helping. The person who called, lives just couple of houses away from that old fellow, but his backyard is completely enclosed, there is not entrance point for a cat. So, I set it up in the bushes near the place my cat was seen. I just wonder if it would be better to set up the trap in exact location (which is a pathwalk), but it has some small bushes, not enough for coverage though

I would think,if someone is feeding him or has him in their house,$1.000 reward would be an incentive for them to call you,but maybe they have not seen the poster....

Well, I just hope that that is the case. I would imagine that it would be pretty good Christmas present for someone...For me, it would be the best Christmas ever to get my "baby" back :)
It seems that many people saw my posters (I walk out at the evening, and talk to everyone I spot). There are people who call me also: some call me genuinely concerned, some just call with something like: " I have information about your cat. How much you gonna pay me?"

chico2
December 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Cayenne,I hate to say this,but it's very likely someone will steal the trap,if it's in the open and not near your house:frustrated:after all,those traps are about $100.
Maybe you should leave it in your yard..

Cayenne
December 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Cayenne,I hate to say this,but it's very likely someone will steal the trap,if it's in the open and not near your house:frustrated:after all,those traps are about $100.
Maybe you should leave it in your yard..

I chained it to a tree.

My second day was not successful either. It is getting very cold during night, and snowing every day :(

chico2
December 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Cayenne,you have no idea how much I wish he would come home for Christmas,I've never met you and him,but I can understand your pain:(

Please,please come home Cayenne:pray::goodvibes:

rainbow
December 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Praying for a happy ending. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Cayenne
December 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Four days straight and I have not had any success with the trap.

I am getting angry and frustrated - not the best mood for holidays :cry:

shirley1011
December 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I understand your frustration....but you feel worse if you give up...and if you are anything like me you can't give up!
Sending prayers for a speedy return of Cayenne

chico2
December 14th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Awww Cayenne,I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you:grouphug:But we keep hoping your determination and love for your beautiful cat,will bring him home:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes:

cpietra16
December 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
please don't give up...is it possible that someone lets him in at night...maybe in a shed to give him some shelter from the cold??
hard to beleive that you have not caught anything?? usually you might get the wrong cat, but nothing:shrug:
If he was spotted in the area, is he still there?
I wish you all the luck....my wish to you for Christmas day.....he'll be home!:pray:

Cayenne
December 15th, 2010, 12:57 AM
thank you guys, I am not gonna give up, I just start doubting that my baby is in the area...I mean, just one person saw my cat in the entire neighborhood? and nobody else?

Cayenne
December 15th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I also would like to get your opinion on the following:
As you know I plastered posters all over my area. I also went to put additional note "still missing" as I realized that people might think that I found my cat, but have not take down the posters. However, there is an area, where my posters are being constantly removed - I put up my 5th flyer there today. And even put "Please do not remove" on the poster.
And it is actually two spots - one is near the mail boxes (we have centralized mail boxes, not like mail box at each house), and then there is another spot (close to the first one) on a bus stop.
What do you think it means?

cpietra16
December 15th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I know that there are certain areas where the city workers take down posters because you are not allowed to have them there. Maybe Canada Post does not allow posters too close to their boxes???
:shrug:

Cayenne
December 16th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I know that there are certain areas where the city workers take down posters because you are not allowed to have them there. Maybe Canada Post does not allow posters too close to their boxes???
:shrug:

well, I am not sure this is a case since all other posters (which I posted like that) are still at their places. I check them all the time.

Well, I did not set up the trap today. It is craaaazyeeee weather, snowing, windy, and really chilly.

I am still doing the same routine: checking websites, spca and animal control center, going out at night to see for footprints, bugging everybody in my neighborhood, calling vet clinics, checking my posters to make sure they are still up, etc.....but it seems like :wall: I am running in circle, or missing something...
I honestly have this weird feeling that I am overlooking something:confused:

chico2
December 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Cayenne,I think if you have lost something or someone,in this case a very much loved kitty,you will always have that feeling:(

I don't know if you live in a house,but if you do.why not put the trap in your own yard,if he is out there,he would be moving around,unless someone is feeding him every day..
Still hoping for a Christmas Miracle:pray:

shirley1011
December 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I think if you have a bad feeling about where the signs are missing you should go to that area and canvass the homes...we did that once when we thought the same thing....hand them a personal flyer and at least you will have the area covered if the posters are in fact being taken down for a reason. Trust me, I know what you are thinking...the mind just never shuts down.

Cayenne
December 16th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I don't know if you live in a house,but if you do.why not put the trap in your own yard,if he is out there,he would be moving around,unless someone is feeding him every day.. [QUOTE]

thanks chico, I did it...the first two days I was setting up the trap in the ravine, then I set it up on a pathwalk (almost in the front yard of a guy's house where my boy was seen last). Then, I put up trap in my backyard right near the missing fence, so it would be close to ravine. I was very upset when I did not even found a footprint near the cage. I know that all dogowners who walk with their dogs at night in that ravine, they check the area all the time... Most of their dogs played with Cayenne in summer.

I wish I can upload a video so you can see how much fun it is!!! :)

[QUOTE=shirley1011;971372]I think if you have a bad feeling about where the signs are missing you should go to that area and canvass the homes...we did that once when we thought the same thing....hand them a personal flyer and at least you will have the area covered if the posters are in fact being taken down for a reason. Trust me, I know what you are thinking...the mind just never shuts down.

:thumbs up that's a great idea!! I will go to those houses tonight and will spread the flyers. It also will give me an opportunity to talk - my boy always runs to my voice; he can be hiding, and my husband can search for him non-stop, but the moment I open the door and say :"I am home", Cayenne appears from nowhere, ready to go outside, play, eat, sleep on my lap or just follow me around :) awe, sweet memories.....
so...if I will talk to people, and 'my baby' is in fact in someone's house, he will run to the door.

Cayenne
December 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
here are some pics taken with my phone

Dog Dancer
December 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Those are great pics of the pups playing with Cayenne. I too am praying for a Christmas miracle. :pray:

14+kitties
December 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
How long do you keep the trap set? An hour? Two? All day? If it is set back in a sheltered area you can leave it for the day and make sure you check it (not up close) frequently. You don't want to scare away the cat.
I really feel after this amount of time that someone has taken your kitty. Probably someone in the area where the posters are taken down. The person doesn't want anyone knowing the cat they have belongs to someone else.
Just a word of warning. If you do find the house where Cayenne is they will refuse to give him to you. You will most likely have to get the police involved. It may be a good idea to have your husband or a friend with you while checking door to door. That way if you find him one of you can phone the police if something happens. JMO of course.

chico2
December 16th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I agree with 14+,if someone has him,they obviously don't care about the reward-money,they want to keep him,because he's a very beautiful cat.
Love the pics,with the dogs:lovestruck:I guess that means he is known to the neighborhood,not many cats go outside and play with dogs,I know mine never would..
That makes me think even more that someone has him...

Cayenne
December 18th, 2010, 11:38 AM
How long do you keep the trap set? An hour? Two? All day? If it is set back in a sheltered area you can leave it for the day and make sure you check it (not up close) frequently. You don't want to scare away the cat.

usually I was setting up the trap for about 4-5 hours, when I put it in my backyard, it was set up for almost all day.

I really feel after this amount of time that someone has taken your kitty. Probably someone in the area where the posters are taken down. The person doesn't want anyone knowing the cat they have belongs to someone else.

That's was my feeling all the time. I know my baby, and trust me, he is no ordinary cat...I would say he is more like a dog - he fetches, takes showers, loooooves ride in vehicles, go for a walk...So I knew that he would not stay stray, he would approach a person or would go after a dog.....

So...after hundred houses I did not get any results (well, I talked to people, handed out flyers) but have not seen my baby...

chico2
December 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Cayenne,you must be heartbroken,I really feel for you:(but please don't ever lose hope you'll have your beautiful kitty back:pray::grouphug:

Cayenne
December 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM
wow, that's a new kind of scam I am facing with. I got a message-reply on my internet ads about lost cat. "A lady" was asking if I am still searching for a bengal kitty, and if yes, then I should send her my information. I sent a message back asking to explain what is that she wants from me. The lady came back with this story:
"Good day, well i have a Bengal cat cat i have been wanting to give away for 3 weeks now to any one who has had a good mastery of this breed of cats, so when i saw your add that you had lost one , i thought it perfectly well that you will take mine and replace it to yours.i am actually giving the cat out because it belonged to my daughter (Jenner) but with a heavy heart i lost Jenner last three weeks and she was all i got to take care of this cat .
Jenner died in an accident last 3 weeks on her way back from her piano classes and i have very bad memories when i see this Bengal cat(Telly) around me , because she was always together playing with her and since i am always busy with my work , i will really need to give her out to someone who can really care and love her just the way Jenner used to .Telly has been very lonely since Jenner passed away so the best thing i decided on as my colleagues advised me was to send the cat to a loving home . so i will really count on you if you can be there for this Bengal cat . I am located in Victoria . Please may i also ask you a few questions ?"

...then she asked personal questions like if I am married, do I have kids, where do I live, etc...

"please just do not mind me asking you all this i just want to be insured Telly gets into the right home , so why not prove to provide her with one and you will leave to enjoy her ever after . also will you kindly provide me with your full delivery information which i will be using to deliver the cat to you if need be !!,
i look forward to reading from you . just get back to me also for more
of her pictures .Kind regards
Nicoline"

The second message I receive clearly showed me that this person is a scam: "Good thing to know that you come from Edmonton [I didnot tell her ANY personal information, never mind where I am from], so it will be very easy for me to have a scheduled door to door delivery for the Telly to be delivered to your home address in Edmonton,my goal was to raise the healthiest, happiest baby Bengal kittens possible and place each of them in a loving home. I have ensured that appropriate health certifications have been performed to check for serious hereditary health defects. As well as provide routine preventative health care and regular examinations by a licensed Veterinarian. Your new cat will arrive up to date on vaccinations, vet checked and microchip in case she gets missing . I also feed only premium , all natural , cat food to the kitten . For this reason I am able to offer up to a two year written and signed health guarantee with confidence for the newest member of your family.
I am experienced at getting your cat to you quickly and safely . I can arrange flights to most major CA airports for just $ 200 and your pet will be delivered at your door steps . Not only do I want my baby Telly to have a good home, I want my new owners to be as happy as my cat is ! I strive to make your adoption as pleasant and simple as possible .
All what i will require from you to certify her delivery papers will include you providing me with the details below"

I am so tired of people trying to scam me, offering me to buy their cats, so I can "replace the loss", asking me for money implying they have information of my cat, and so on....
I am just questioning myself was I wise to post such big reward? The person who has my boy is now laying low waiting while I will exhaust myself, and meanwhile I am being bombarded by greedy dishonest scammers! :wall::yell::cry:

Love4himies
December 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
Oh no, aren't people just horrible :grouphug:

Please don't give up hope, you never know when he might turn up :goodvibes:

shirley1011
December 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
I know I also offered $1,000 reward, and although I didn't get any scammers, it didn't seem to matter.
I was advised by the newspaper to advertise with a large cash reward rather than an amount.
Don't give up hope, I know it is hard and the mind never stops with the "what ifs". You are not alone, we are all praying for Cayenne's safe return....and I'd be there helping you if I was closer.

chico2
December 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Cayenne,we know some people just are void of any morals or compassion,I know it must be difficult dealing with these scammers,but don't lose hope for your baby.
We are all :pray:and hoping you'll see a little Christmas Miracle coming home:goodvibes::grouphug:

rainbow
December 21st, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hang in there, Cayenne. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

luckypenny
December 21st, 2010, 08:31 PM
I was thinking, who had your cat microchipped? Was it you or the breeder? Is the breeder local? Have you tried to contact her? What about other Bengal breeders in your area and cat rescues as well?

Also, have you registered with petlynx? http://www.petlynx.net/

Praying you'll be reunited soon.

Cayenne
December 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Thank you guys, :grouphug: , I am not giving up. I keep coming back on this forum to get more energy and hope.
My husband asked me "what if we will not find Cayenne&", I said "We will...even if it take a year. We have resources, we have desire to find him, we have other people looking for him...So we will find him!"

I talked to one lady at Animal Control Center yesterday, and she said that sometimes people find animals, keep them, but after some time they realize how much work and responsibility it is to own an animal , so they turn them in to SPCA...after 3-6 months!
You see, Bengals are highly active cats; you have to be prepared to play/spend almost all day with them. They are involved in everything you do, you have to play with them (and when I say play, it involves a lot of hide and seek, running, playing fetch, wrestling, etc), to walk with them, jog with them (well, at least that's the case with my boy), be prepared that he will sneak in to a garage and jump in a vehicle for a ride with you....so basically, it is a dog in nature, but a cat in appearance.
So, I know that it is way to much work to keep my baby happy, and unless a person, who has him, works/stays at home, s/he will very soon realize that s/he cannot keep up with my boy. I just hope they will not turn him loose but will contact me (:fingerscr for the reward), or will bring him to spca.

I was thinking, who had your cat microchipped? Was it you or the breeder? Is the breeder local? Have you tried to contact her? What about other Bengal breeders in your area and cat rescues as well?

Also, have you registered with petlynx?

I microchipped him, and I am making sure that the chip is activated as "Missing Cat".
Breeders in my area, and not only in mine, are all aware of my story. You see, Bengal community is very close one. This is why it is impossible to scam me with someones else pictures (I know right away whose pictures I am sent, and whos cat is on that picture) So they are all looking out for me, close and far!
I am on petlynx and all other sites.

I also filed a police report of stolen cat, so if I will ever find my baby in someones house, I will have a rightful ground to call police and they can proceed with action...and maybe charges.

luckypenny
December 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
Another thought. Have you been looking at classified ads where ppl are selling Bengal cats that may match the description of yours?

There's a neutered 1 yr old male posted on Dec. 2 on Kijiji (Edmonton area).

Or, you can post an ad pretending to want to purchase one and see if anyone responds (you'd have to use a different email address so it doesn't pop up as one of your "other ads")?

rainbow
December 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
That's a great idea about the ad, LP. :thumbs up

Good luck, Cayenne. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

NoahGrey
December 22nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Cayenne, I once picked up a stray cat. Brought it back to the shelter and it turned out the cat was chipped. Lost and found called the owner. The owner was shocked and emotional. Her cat had been missing for a year. It was obvious that someone had taken her cat in.

Love4himies
December 23rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Sending some :goodvibes: that you are soon reunited with your kitty.

14+kitties
December 23rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
Still praying every day for a reunion. :fingerscr

Dog Dancer
December 23rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
Cayenne, just to let you know that I'm still thinking of you and your kitty. I have not given up hope that one day you will be together again. Sooner than later would be the best though. Stay the course.

Cayenne
December 25th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Merry Christmas to all! :cat:

chico2
December 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too and wishes you'll soon have your baby back home!:pray: