Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peanut!

BamaRama
September 15th, 2004, 01:22 PM
This is Peanut, my green-cheeked conure :)

dmc123
September 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM
What a pretty peanut!!

~~Diane

krdahmer
September 15th, 2004, 10:26 PM
What a stunning bird....and looks to be right at home...anywhere! :D

Cactus Flower
September 15th, 2004, 10:43 PM
THANK YOU for posting these! What an adorable little bird Peanut is!
Looks so happy!

iRONKNiGHT
September 15th, 2004, 11:07 PM
BamaRama i was wondering what kinda bird is Peanut? i've seen one like him before..they look 100 time better in person... pictures dont do them justice!

BamaRama
September 16th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks, everyone:)

Ironknight--Peanut is a green-cheeked Conure :D

Writing4Fun
September 16th, 2004, 11:39 AM
He's beautiful, Bama! So tell me - was he named for the 2 old men in the "peanut gallery" on The Muppet Show?? They were my absolute faves!!

BamaRama
September 16th, 2004, 11:47 AM
lol No..hehe..Though he should have a Muppet name, shouldn't he?!

No, I named him Peanut because the first green-cheek I ever met, years ago, was named Peanut, and I loved the name so much that I vowed that whenever I got my own, I would name him/her Peanut :) Not too original, I know!! lol.

Writing4Fun
September 16th, 2004, 12:34 PM
LOL! Well, now you can still call him Peanut and know he does have a muppet name after all! :D

I love birds, but want to wait until the kids are much older before getting them. I've already warned hubby. I'm getting a pair of lovebirds, and they will be named Sam & Ella (get it? salmonella?). Sick humour, I know. :o

glasslass
September 16th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Pretty bird! Pretty bird! AWK!! Pretty bird!

iRONKNiGHT
September 16th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Pretty bird! Pretty bird! AWK!! Pretty bird!

LOL you're SOOOO FUNNNNNNY!! lass!!

so much talk about peanut.. i feel like eating peanut butter... umm
I can see Peanut in an add for Peanut butter... he's saying "AWK!! Peanut it's good for you! AWK!!"

wAggie
September 16th, 2004, 08:38 PM
hahahha

one of my fave colours is green... *drooolzzz* ok, ok

:P

from where'd u get Peanut?

BamaRama
September 16th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I got Peanut from a green-cheek breeder out in Stoney Creek, Ontario...I dunno..I feel badly that I didn't try and find one in a rescue, but I got him before I started frequenting this site and educating myself... :(

wAggie
September 16th, 2004, 11:09 PM
hey now... don't feel bad

this birdie's a helpless "victim"

love him for who he is, not where he came from :)

(him, right? :o )

BamaRama
September 16th, 2004, 11:25 PM
lol, yes, him, thanks Waggie :)

Sneaky2006
September 17th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Cutie bird ya got there!
I've only ever knew one person to have a bird and he was so funny! He would chew on my husbands shoe laces the whole time he was there. He would stand on his shoe and 'walk' with him as long as he could chew on it.
He would also take cigs out of the pack and chew (not eat!) them to shreds.
I don't even know what kind of bird this was... all I know is, it was white and gray.
Does your bird do things like that?

BamaRama
September 17th, 2004, 10:46 AM
White and Grey...sounds like either a Timneh African Grey or a Congo African Grey :)

Peanut's funny, he loves to shred little pieces of paper (not eat them--just shreds them!) and if he's sitting with me while I'm here on the computer, he can't stand watching my hands typing and he will climb under my hands which makes it very hard for me to type:) Peanut also likes to take baths with me...hmm...what else does he do?! He often tries to compete with the sound of the vacuum cleaner...whenever it's on, he'll just start screeching like there is no tomorrow...and green-cheeks are generally quite quiet, as far as birds go. xcdddddx<---hello from Scooter.

What else? Hmm...His favorite foods include cucumbers, grapes, mcdonald's french fries (though we don't let him eat them, often he is too quick for us sometimes...!) bananas, crackers, pasta, chicken...he'll eat anything! The only thing he doesn't seem to like is broccolli, kinda like his Mom;)

Writing4Fun
September 17th, 2004, 11:44 AM
A bird eating chicken?! Isn't that a little cannibalistic?? :eek:

Kidding! He's beautiful. Wonder if he thinks that you "pecking" at the computer means you're upset with the keyboard?? LOL Tell Scooter we said "xcdddddx" right back!! :D

animallover
September 17th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Peanut is sooo cute!!!! I have four birds and they are so much fun. We travel with ours, their wings are clipped so they stay on our shoulders. We have a perch in our truck for them and a potable on that they sit on when we stay over night. We have only been refused in one place ( a hotel ) So if you see ppl walking around with parrotts on thier shoulders its just us lol. :p . They are a fun and amuzing pet. Just thought I would share.

animallover
September 17th, 2004, 11:54 AM
sorry spelling error

meggie1425
September 17th, 2004, 12:00 PM
What a pretty birdie!! (my cockatiels would LOVE him!! :D ) I think the next bird i get will be a green-cheek conure, i love their personality. I once saw one that would take a pellet from its bowl, carry it over to its water dish and dip it in the water to make it soft enough to eat!! :D VERY loud but VERY cute!!

BamaRama
September 17th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks all:)

Actually Meggie, green-cheeks are the quietest of Conures. Peanut only really screeches in the morning (wake up everyone!) and at night (Turn that damn TV off! It's my bedtime!!)

They're great birds:) I think ALL green cheeks take their pellets to their water--Peanut does! He dumps them all in his water and waits for them to get really soggy, then he'll eat them. A lot of the time though (to keep his water dish clean) I will pre-soak his pellets in orange or apple juice, it's such a special treat for him!!

If you're interested in a green cheek, check out this website I'm a member of, there is TONS of information on the forums there, and we're just in the process of writing a bunch of informative articles in the resources section for would-be green cheek owners: www.greencheeks.com

Enjoy!

animallover
September 17th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the idea of soaking the pellets, I have a fussy cockatoo that won't eat his pellets, but he loves squishy things to eat. I have to boil his fruit.

BamaRama
September 17th, 2004, 03:05 PM
lol animallover!! Try the apple/orange juice trick. It works wonders!!!

meggie1425
September 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks BamaRama, i'll definetly check out that site! Thats a really good idea about the pellets.. My cockatiels HATE pellets!! (Im in the process of swtiching them from seeds to pellets) Do you think it would be ok to soak them in orange juice or apple juice even if theres about 25% seeds mixed with it??

wAggie
September 17th, 2004, 08:24 PM
hahahaHAHAHAH

i had noooooo idea birds had such a COLOURful personality!!

:D sounds like my "kids" :D