Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog's Swollen Ribcage?

SageBear
November 15th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hi! My dog, Sunshine, has a history of tummy upsets, if she eats anything other than her regular (veterinary) food she starts to throw up and throws up for days afterwards, every time she drinks water.
We just got her over one of these episodes by giving frequent small meals and monitoring water consumption, but now it seems her ribcage is perpetually swollen. It looks worse right after she eats.
Anyone have any ideas? We took her to the vet the first time the vomiting thing happened, they gave her something to help her empty her tummy which helped immediately, the last vomiting spell (they were both exactly the same pattern) we took her back to the vet and this vet refused to treat without running a whole bunch of tests the first vet (the one who fixed her the first time) had told us not to bother running. I had wanted to do the tests on the first visit but the helpful vet told us it would be a waste of money without first trying those little pills that helped her empty her tummy.
Now she's not throwing up, but she is really swollen, and I don't know what to do. If we knew taking her to the vet would help we would, but we don't have a lot of money and the vet who was insisting on tests said they probably wouldn't show anything but she wouldn't treat without running them anyway. Her words. We will run the tests if we have to, but again, not much money and we'd be spending my tuition money for next semester for tests the vet thinks won't help :o(
Does anyone have any idea whats going on?

Masha
November 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I think you need a new vet that can give a second opinion.