Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Excessive Drinking.,,

Vinnie_07
November 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a 4 month old tea cup Pomeranian puppy. Since we got him he is always drinking. He drinks like he never has enough and goes through several bowls of water a day. he pees a lot too but it makes me wonder why is drinking so much and acting like he never drank before????

Thanks for any advise or solution!

Alina and Vinnie ( puppy)

Shaykeija
November 12th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Get him to a vet and have them check his kidneys.

t.pettet
November 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I also have poms and since I've had to put the furnace on they're consuming more water. I imagine he's very active and also wearing a wooly undercoat so a thorough grooming every week with a moulting comb will keep him more comfortable but I would also have his urine checked out at vets.

ScottieDog
November 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM
You do want to pursue this with your vet. You will need to have an idea how much your pup is drinking per day. Measure the water (ounces or cups, but with a toy breed, you are probably looking at ounces). Also, note the color of the urine--clear and water-like (kidneys are not concentrating the urine), rusty or bloody (sign of infection, stones or cancer), etc.

There are many reasons for increased water consumption (polydipsia) which in turn leads to increased urination (polyurea). There is an excellent article on this forum written by Dr. Lee (a wonderful vet who lends his expertise to the board at times :thumbs up). It is stickied at the top, but I'll try to link:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52691

I had an older dog who drank excessively. In her case, she flushed the salts from her kidneys and needed her water monitored to get her body back in balance. She was a nervous dog and this happened when she came to our home following her owner's death.

However, there can be some serious health problems. Diabetes is a concern. One type of diabetes (diabetes insipidous) requires the dog to have access to water at all times, so until you find out the problem, you don't want to limit his access to water. Urinary tract infections can also make some dogs drink more. It dilutes the urine so it isn't as painful to pass. Kidney disease is also a concern and very serious.

Not a lecture on the teacup dog, but know that when these pups are intentionally breed down into smaller than standard size, the dog's health can suffer and the little guys can crash quickly. Please get this checked and good luck.