Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

unpredictable tantrums

iamhappy
November 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM
i do not know the exact word for this one actually. so "tantrums" would be employed.

anyways, stan, a two month old really bouncy and round aspin (philippine native dog) x terrier puppy came to the house just yesterday.

really a lovely well-behaved boy. my dad got him for me from a friend who cannot afford to have an additional dog because her grandma has lung issues. he is so well-behaved that dad held him on one hand while they were riding his bike and stan had no ill-movement at all during that 15minute trip.

when he first came, i met him at the gate, carried him inside, placed him on my moms lap and we really found him adorable. he walked around the house and played, had his water and milk. he rests and sleeps beside his crate. no unnecessary barking except when puti (my four year old cat) walks by.

we bathe him just this afternoon. it was his first and yet he never threw a tantrum.

accidents? countless. he'd pee in the living room and poo in the kitchen. i had not dealt with the issue yet coz i've read somewhere it is normal and my boyfriend told me so. each time he goes however, i'd clean it up and wax the floor.

now, just this evening, he was hysterically barking at my sister. he was running around and my sister got furious and she panicked and had to make me up. he was jumping around and was barking all the time. he even managed to jump off the the wood board we covered the backdoor with so he cannot go out the backyard. then, he nibbled on the mat and tore my moms kitchen floor mat.

i did not know what else to do but to throw at his direction something and that is my hello kitty stuff toy which he nibbled in one ear, left near the fridge before peeing under the table. then, he dragged the toy near his crate and had his "arm" over it. i tried taking it away but he'd wake up.

i know he is a baby. but i cannot certainly predict his behavior for now. what if the hello kitty stuff toy won't work anymore? :wall:

by the way, dad taught him sit and he responds to it most of the times and, he somehow responds when he gets called by his name. :lovestruck:

luckypenny
November 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM
:laughing: :laughing:

I'm so sorry, Iamhappy but what you're describing is perfectly normal puppy behavior :laughing:. They can be quite the little devils though :D. You have your work cut out for you but it's so worthwhile in the long run :cloud9:.

It would seem this is your first puppy? If so, you're going to love this book that can be downloaded for free. It's full of information and ideas on how to live with and raise a healthy, happy puppy. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it tremendously :).

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

iamhappy
November 11th, 2010, 03:34 PM
well thanks luckypenny.:D (just got the printer running.)

yes, he is my first puppy. we had dogs then when i was younger but never a puppy.

and by the way, stan is a little angel for now, snuggly cuddled on my feet. he got off of his crate and had me a really good smelling company.

and another thing, i would love to know should i get him to a walk like each day? to get his energy channeled more positively? i just had this talk with my mom who doesn't want him out.

also, with the accidents, we tried putting a diaper on him after the poo, coz he'd just go anytime and anywhere in the living room. (it's a human diaper actually, my mom's idea.) is this okay?

thanks for helping out. :thumbs up

luckypenny
November 11th, 2010, 05:05 PM
... should i get him to a walk like each day? to get his energy channeled more positively? i just had this talk with my mom who doesn't want him out.

Stan is two months old? Has he had he first vaccination yet? What reasons does your mother not want him to go out? If he's had his first vaccination, there shouldn't be a problem taking him for short walks (10 minutes or so) in very clean areas (not where other dogs may have peed or pooped) just to get him used to a leash. Do you have a safely enclosed front or back yard where you live? It's much more ideal for a puppy to expend it's energy if he/she can run and play off leash rather than a walk.

also, with the accidents, we tried putting a diaper on him after the poo, coz he'd just go anytime and anywhere in the living room. (it's a human diaper actually, my mom's idea.) is this okay?

The problem with a diaper is it will not each him where to go to the bathroom. If you start teaching him now, it will be much easier than if you start later on when he's older. Here's a video that will show you how. Make sure your whole family sees it, ok? Patience and consistency is the key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI&feature=player_embedded

You'll also get all sorts of ideas from the link to the book I posted earlier. It covers just about everything you need to know about puppies :).

iamhappy
November 14th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Stan is two months old? Has he had he first vaccination yet? What reasons does your mother not want him to go out?

He hasn't had his first vaccination yet. the vet says he had to be 3months before they can give him that. Mom says she doesn't want him to get dirty. Well, i think he has to be exposed to "some few germs" to build his immunity against them. We actually have this wide backyard but most of the place has my dad's crops. WE let him put once and he nearly nibbled off the cayenne plant! :crazy:

The problem with a diaper is it will not each him where to go to the bathroom. If you start teaching him now, it will be much easier than if you start later on when he's older.

No more diapers.:D he'd go nuts each time we try putting one on him. The good thing is, during certain times, he'd go inside the human toilet (the one we have downstairs) and do his business. Also, we noticed that he doesn't pee or poo when nobody is around to clean his mess up. We had to leave this morning for church and we came back the house was clean. But just right after he had his lunch, he had a pool in the living room. :laughing:

Stan is a very attentive dog. He knows when he just cannot get something he wants. Whenever he begs for food or for a game, and we give him a no, he go sit or lie on his tummy. He whimpers and i feel sorry for him,but i know we are actually doing him something profitable. :angel2:

Dog Dancer
November 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Because Stan is a puppy he will want to do his potty issues often. Always as soon as he wakes up from a nap take him outside on a leash and guide him to an area you want him to use for potty. Tell him to do his business and do not go back inside with him until he has. When he goes business outside praise him like crazy "good boy, what a star" give him a cookie, play with him a bit. Make him realize "Hey this going poop outside is a great thing!" When he has an accident inside do not punish him, just put him elsewhere so he can't see you and clean it up well with vinegar and water. If you see him actually squating to go, a sharp yell NO will often startle them enough to make them stop and then you can pick him up and take him outside to go and reward him. He will need to go after waking up, after eating, after drinking and after heavy play time. Puppies are fairly consistant with that. If possible he should not be left alone in any area of the house until he is trained or he will simply go when and where he wants. Many people will attach a leash to their dog and tie it around their waist so that anywhere you go the puppy also goes. If you stop to do dishes the puppy lays at your feet. This way you can always be aware of what he is doing and catch an accident before it happens. If you are going to be out of the house like when you went to church is there a smaller area that you could put a baby gate up and confine him to one area (like a kitchen or hall area) where he can't make too much mess? Good luck to you, puppies are a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. Also please note that mental exercise is very important for your puppy. Train him with obedience and a few tricks and work with him regularly.