Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Having accidents in the house

chico
September 15th, 2004, 10:18 AM
:confused: Our dog is trained to go out doors. We got him two yrs ago from shelter. We know he was abused. We crate trained him to stay when we are not at home. He goes out side to eliminate normally. He had accidents in the house occationally, mainly unrine. We removed the rug he used. Recently he started to eliminate in our kitchen when we were occupied doing something. Like being in the basement doing wash or handyman repairs. He does not like the basement. We have done the correcting, we try to remember to put him in the crate when we go to the basement or outside for a short period of time. Now he has started eliminating more often in the kitchen. We need suggestions. 1. What is a good cleaner for the kitchen floor to discourage him. 2. How can we stop this action. 3. Our living circumstances may change soon and he may need to be paper trained. We would like to have him do this in the garage. If he has to stay with a family member at this time they have garages. We may also be traveling with him in the near future and believe this would be best. If we paper trained to a large tray would he go out side on the tray with the paper, or would he want to be in a garage?

debanneball
September 15th, 2004, 10:35 AM
:confused: Sounds like you are planning a move in the near future. Maybe your dog is sensing this and thinks that he/she may be left out of the picture. Dogs do have feelings, so tell your puppy your plans. As for the cleaners, be careful of what you put on the floor. My dogs lick the floor sometimes (sounds gross eh), but if they are eating a cookie and drop a bit, Lucky is a doggie-vaccum and Stella is the wash cloth. So, my floor is cleaned then re-cleaned twice with plain water while the dogs are OUT of the house.

Delirium
September 15th, 2004, 06:43 PM
My Sneaky has always done this since I got her from THS. If were not looking, she's peeing on the carpet.

I'm still in the process of trying fixes, with limited success. Currently, i'm keeping her leashed in the house so she can't sneak off without me. She's usually with me anyway (aside from the 30 seconds she runs away and pees *sighs*) so its not a big adjustment. She just goes where I go. This Sunday, were getting old baby gates from my boyfriend's boss to gate off the stairs. This will allow me to let her have the run of the downstairs while were down there, without being leashed but preventing access to the yummy carpet she seems to like so much.

I'll let you know how that works. Of course my problem is different from yours since she doesn't use tile and therefore the kitchen is a safe place.

Dee

chico
September 15th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Yes there will be a change but it is nearly a year down the road, when our son graduates from High School. I don't think it is his sencing the move but that our household often has more turnmoil than most. I disinfected the kitchen floor again tonight. I told my family that if he does his job during the night again he will have to be in his crate from now on at night. He spoiled and gets to sleep with family members as he chooses. These night episodes just started since his treats where changed. So I also went and purchased his old treats. Still would like to know what others use to clean spots and oder that works really well as I would like to get my throw rug back down for the winter, as well as discourage him from using the kitchen floor.

chico2
September 16th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Oh nooooo,another Chico :D :D :D