Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rough night with dog...vomitting and diarrhea

OxyMK
November 10th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone-

First, let me just say that I already took my dog to the vet today but I am still worried.

Yesterday, Oxford started throwing up, which is not all that abnormal. But as the day progressed, my husband said she kept throwing and had been all day and eventually had blood in it. He took her water dish away and food. As the night progressed, I woke up at 2 am and found her downstairs staring at where her water dish would be. So I gave her a little water. About 20 minutes later, she threw up reddish vomit and I went downstairs only to find a puddle of bloody diarrhea. I mean it such a dark red, it looked like tar and smelled HORRENDOUS. It happened again 2 hours later. We took her to the vet first thing in the morning and he drew her blood and ruled out poison and said that he blood cell counts and everything else looked normal. She did get into the trash and ate a little chicken, but thats happened before and nothing this bad has ever happened. He put her on Chlorpromazine (nausea and vomiting) and Metronidazole (for infections). We also got some gastrointestinal food. He said just monitor her and she should be fine in a couple of days.

I trust my vet, but its hard not to worry about why she is having these symptoms. Shes never been this sick before and shes so lethargic. All she wants is water and she wouldnt even touch the dog food. I just took her out and she threw up once we got out there, but it was foamy vomit and didnt look like there was blood, which is good, but then she had the same dark red, bloody diarrhea right after that.

Any insight or experiences would help calm me some.

luckypenny
November 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM
It sounds very similar to what Buster suffered with last week http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73471

The bloody diarrhea would worry me too, OxyMK. If your vet was unable to determine a cause, if it were me, I'd be seeking a second opinion asap. Praying Oxford recovers quickly :grouphug:. Please let us know how she's doing.

hazelrunpack
November 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
How is Oxford today, OxyMK? :grouphug: If her symptoms are not better today, I'd sure be at least checking back with the vet, if not bringing her back in. We always treat tarry stools as an emergency... I hope she's doing better today! :goodvibes:

OxyMK
November 11th, 2010, 06:17 PM
She's better. She hasnt thrown up all day and finally ate a little bit of the I/D food, but my husband said he had to feed to her with a fork...haha. She did seem to have a little leakage coming from her backside, but it wasnt red! She's still lethargic but it could be because she hasnt eaten much in the past few days. Things seem to be looking up, but we arent healed all the way yet. I'll keep you posted!!

Marty11
November 12th, 2010, 09:35 AM
If my golden had any bones, smoked from the store, raw from the butcher, it didn't matter he threw up for couple days after that. It's like his body did not digest the bone matter. I don't remember it being red though. Watch the trash it could lead to problems.