Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy nipping at rabbit too aggressively!

lepabee
November 10th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I have an 8 week old Jack Russell Terrier and a 4 month old rabbit. Doesn't really sound like a great mix, but I really love them both and want them to get along. The puppy is just as fast and will nip at him, sometimes the rabbit provokes the dog...

Ive tried putting my rabbit in his cage, but he's free-range and will try knawing his way through...

Marty11
November 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I hate to be the one to tell you, terrier breeds are hunters of rodents. Get very assertive with the socializing right away. I do have one terrier that is cat friendly and one terrier that would probably kill a cat. They are young enough though and I'm sure someone here has good training tips for you.

14+kitties
November 10th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I would definitely be keeping them in separate rooms unless you are there to keep an eye on them both 100% of the time. Even leaving the room for 30 seconds, given the right circumstances, could lead to disaster.
The fairest thing you may do for your bunny is to rehome it IMO.

cassiek
November 10th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I really think this situation has the makings to become bad real quick :shrug: I absolutely would never, ever leave them alone together. I imagine the experience is fairly stressful for both animals as it is.

I have a large rabbit run built for my bunny, both indoors and out. I understand you want her to have free-run but it could end up being very traumatic. We built a fairly large outdoor run that's a few feet wide and about 15 feet long - she has tons of room, but she's also safe.

Best of luck!

lepabee
November 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I really think this situation has the makings to become bad real quick :shrug: I absolutely would never, ever leave them alone together. I imagine the experience is fairly stressful for both animals as it is.

I have a large rabbit run built for my bunny, both indoors and out. I understand you want her to have free-run but it could end up being very traumatic. We built a fairly large outdoor run that's a few feet wide and about 15 feet long - she has tons of room, but she's also safe.

Best of luck!

Thanks, i thought this was helpful, while im gone ive been putting the rabbit in his cage (its quite a decent size) he's a little pissed at time, but hes okay, i also let him our for a few hours in the morning and again at night... thanks a lot, ill try building that pen :)