Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need to rant

erykah1310
November 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
WOW

I really cant think of another way to start this.

At work today having a harmless chit chat about things, and bullies coming into the topic as we are about to leave work.
A co worker, who up until this point I really thought was an opened minded, level headed individual ( for the most part) drops a bomb shell on me.

Just as I'm walking out...
"Just so you know, no matter what ALL "Pitbulls" will snap, they were bred as fighting dogs and have no reason being pets"
My JAW DROPPED.

Yes, they were bred for fighting, but in that concept alone it would show you that they were bred to be dog aggressive, not human aggressive.

I looked at her and said " Funny how millions are healthy well balanced family members that live out their entire natural lives with out attacking anyone."

To which she replied " Oh no, they all have bitten someone I guarantee it, Rottweilers are the same. And think about it, if you get bit by a Shepherd it will let go, a Rottie and a "Pitbull" will not"

So now she also has a hate on for Rotties... anyone who knows me knows this is not going to go well from this point on.

Naturally, I bring up all the Rotties I have had the pleasure of sharing my life with up until this point in my life and how not ONE of them ever bit anyone. Growled at people, hell yeah, but all my dogs have given a growl at someone at some point, from my American Cocker Spaniel to my Tibetan Mastiffs.
Hasn't yours??? Thought so...

So apparently back in the day when she was meter reading she never had a problem with "pitbulls" but doesn't think they have any buisness existing.
Thats right, NO PROBLEMS BUT THEY SHOULDNT EXIST:eek:

With my job, and I have said this hundreds of times. The dogs I have the most problems with beside Shepherds ( and again, if you know me you know i am afraid of them and I must give them the heeby jeebies as well because everyone of them takes a little taste of me) Do I wish them dead and believe they have no buisness existing... NO, HELL NO.

Anyway... the breeds I personally have most problems with by walking into their yards as a complete stranger and most of the time right in the fence with them are as follows: ( this is no way a proper statistic or any judgement on any of the following breeds, and has been over the course of 4 years)
1- GSD's
2- Golden Retrievers
3- Shih-Tzu's
4- Poodles of all sizes
5- Random mixes

I have found that if I take some time with some good dog biscuits you can win over the most aggressive acting Rottie as long as their people are not around and it is not tied.

I have also found that if you accidently walk into a yard and not notice the "Pitbull" tethered to a dog house until you turn around and have to walk by it again... this time with it knowing you are there and a little weirded out by your presence in their yard, some excited talking to them really gets their tails wagging and the kisses will commence now.

This is not true for every dog, or every situation and I dont recommend anyone trying to just do this, it does help if you can "read" them as well.

This whole litle conversation with this woman just boiled my blood. I understand that not everyone will think the way I do, not everyone will agree with what I agree with or believe in, but the ignorance behind these media fed fears and trying to pass complete fiction as fact just blew me out of the water.

I didnt want to get into my entire probably 4 hour discussion on why she was wrong in what she was saying right at quitting time so I just started walking out of the building but before my parting I said to her in a highly sarcastic tone

" Well *insert name here* all I can say is it was nice knowing you, since my time is about to run out by your logic. I wake up at home every morning with a Rottie mix beside my bed whom I sometimes step on when stumbling out of bed, so she must definately have it out for me and is plotting her revenge, and with the jaws of a killer "pitbull" mere millimeters from my face, whom I must irritate all night long with my moving around in my sleep and pillow stealing, who also is just waiting for the perfect moment to rip my face off"

And I left.

Do I think every home should have a Rottie or Pitbull? NO
I dont even think every home that has a dog should have a dog?
Some breeds just dont belong with some people. If you arent willing to meet your dogs energy needs and are not an active person, a high energy dog is not for you.
If you are not willing to give rules, structure or proper love and attention to a dog and expect them to be perfect, get a fish.

I cant believe some people, and talk about a way for me to lose all respect for someone fast.
Spewing fiction as fact in a condescending manner:mad: And going after my dogs???? Well, I'm sorry but I wont stand back and let someone tell me a complete load of BS as if to "warn" me about what my future holds.
Eff, it was what I imagine talking to Bryant must be like.

/end rant

izzykan
November 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Some people are just prone to sensationalism. They only read the bylines and not the stories. Or they read only the stories that feed their misconceptions. The unfortunate thing is that you don't see news stories about people owning happy, healthy Pit Bulls and Rotties - it isn't, apparently, newsworthy - although I could do with one "good news" channel whose reporters only sought out stories of happiness and success.

That would piss me off too. :grouphug: If she bugs you again...start to growl...:mwaha:

Magicwildwolf69
November 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I really really hate how people separate types of dogs and say this one is like this blah blah. people really need to be educated!

:grouphug::grouphug:

aslan
November 9th, 2010, 07:04 PM
That would piss me off too. :grouphug: If she bugs you again...start to growl...:mwaha:

:laughing::laughing: i was thinking bite her...Erykah i'm with you with the GSD's,,apparantly at one point i was something good to nom on. got the scars to prove it.

Shaykeija
November 9th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Too bad some people have a high dose of BOYIAMSTUPIDANDWLLLIPOFFWITHOUTUSINGMYBRAIN-itis

Love4himies
November 10th, 2010, 07:17 AM
:wall::wall::wall:

Well, I have to admit, the one pitbull that I have met up close and personal did hurt me too :(. From trying to sit on my lap and give me kisses :yell: Do you know how much these guys can weight. :cloud9::laughing:

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2010, 09:32 AM
That's like saying human's have the potential to kill so they will ALL kill.

She's being judgmental on a subject she clearly knows absolutely nothing about. Her only experience seems to be out of the few times she's been approached by these dogs while she was reading meters, on property the dogs considered THEIRS to protect. So any dog, or hell even cat will get a bit bothered by you invading their space.

Perhaps also you might let her know that pit bulls were not breed to be fighting dogs, they were used in bull baiting, that was their main purpose until that became illegal. Then the dog fighting began. And you might want to also let her know that the reason they make such good fighting dogs are due to their EXTREME LOYALTY AND WILLINGNESS TO PLEASE THEIR OWNER!

It really frost's my ass when people base their opinion about something not by facts but by misinformation perpetuated by mainly the media who is in the business of selling their words! If you aren't interested in the story, you won't buy the paper or watch their news program, so it behooves them to embellish as much as possible.

I almost feel sorry for the stupidity some of these people show off on a daily basis.

Dog Dancer
November 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Oh yeah, I got hurt by a pitbull too! It was attacking my face with it's tongue and his nose hit my nose - boy did his hard head hurt!!

chico2
November 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Erykah,I can soo understand your fury and frustration,the best thing you can do is not even talk to ignorant people like that and there is a lot of them out there:evil:

In my old age,I have come to the conclusion,people who don't care about animals,ignorant people,are just not worth knowing.

BenMax
November 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Yep ..my rottie was very very dangerous...he went above and beyond when removing my make up.:laughing:

Just ignor the stupidity. People do this in order to get under your skin. I don't even bother addressing anymore.

erykah1310
November 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I have always been apposed to BSL, because of Kita teetering on the edge of it for her looks. Wrong person just has to point at her and scream "Pitbull" and I'm fighting for her life.
Now though it has gone to a whole new level with Elmo.
I'm not as bothered by it today at all, she was trying to talk to me today about horses because she is a self proclaimed expert on that subject as well and we kinda got on the subject of Hanoverians and jumping ( Calvin is a Hanoverian and a retired jumper) I was beginning to tell her about Miss Fe's love for jumping as well but i quickly and sarcastically said " Oh wait I'm sure you will have an opinon about that as well since she is a draft mix and drafts were only bred to pull so thats all she should ever do right?"
She didnt have an answer to that and I left because again it was quitting time.

erykah1310
November 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
And YES the pain I have felt from Elmo's attacks... running a quarter mile through the field at mach 200 and leaping into the air in hopes that I put my arms out and catch him so he can give mad kisses sometimes hurts my chest as his flailing legs borderline impail (sp?) me.

TeriM
November 10th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Yup, people are idiots. Sometimes you just gotta shake you head and walk away :shrug:.

Does this mean that Elmo is now a "permanent" foster :rolleyes:.