Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

L4H,how is Sweet-Pea

chico2
November 9th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I am just wondering if she had her dental-surgery yesterday,or not..I hope she did,so she can hurry and get her appetite back:fingerscr
I know you were very worried:grouphug:

Love4himies
November 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Thank you for asking, chico :grouphug:

Sweet Pea ATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :D :lovestruck:

She came home and ate :thumbs up. She had two teeth extracted, one was broken down below the gum, with the pulp exposed and lesions. The other was broken with the pulp showing, but not down below the gum line.

The vet is very concerned about her weight loss and wanted her eating again, which she is. :thumbs up. He said that her pain now will be so much less then her pain before that she will eat.

diandpat
November 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
GREAT NEWS L4H!!!! WooHoo...hopefully she will get her appetite back for good and get back to a healthy weight!!!!

It would be nice to have "before/after" pics :shrug: :rolleyes:

14+kitties
November 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Oh such good news!! YAY!!!!!!!!! She must have been in so much pain. :( I'm glad this new vet reacted so quickly and took care of it. I know you will be very much relieved!! :grouphug: Sweet Pea, you just be a good girl and gain that weight back quickly. :cloud9:

Love4himies
November 9th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Thank you everybody, Sweet Pea has eaten her second tiny meal :D.

I am hoping to maintain her weight, she was actually 4 lbs overweight :eek:, now only 2.

hazelrunpack
November 9th, 2010, 10:34 PM
What a relief that must be to have that over with! And then to have her eating again so soon after! :highfive:

Heal quick, Sweet Pea! :goodvibes:

rainbow
November 9th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Great news :thumbs up ....speedy healing Sweet Pea. :fingerscr :grouphug:

Dee-O-Gee
November 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Great news L4H!

Are there any signs to watch out for as far as infections or adverse effects?

Wonderful she's eating again and hopefully the Vet was right in that her pain now will be less now than what it was. :fingerscr

Love4himies
November 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Thank you everybody for your well wishes.

KLM: The vet has given her liquid clavamox to prevent infection.

She won't eat :(. She keeps trying, but the pain must still be too much for her. I watered down her food so she doesn't have to bite anything. I also raised her dishes just in case the clavamox was making her nauseous.

The vet didn't want to use the fentanyl patch on her unless absolutely necessary as he felt he may be over medicating her, but he would put a half patch if necessary. He was hoping the mirtazapine would stimulate her appetite enough to get her to eat.

The tip of her tongue is sticking out, does anybody know if this is normal.

14+kitties
November 10th, 2010, 08:16 AM
It could be she just isn't hungry right now L4. She still has all the crap in her system from the operation. It could be making her feel a little nauseous. Can she go into a room with her food and lots of water so she can rest and the others can't get her? I bet she will eat sometime during the day.
:fingerscr :goodvibes:
The mirtazapine doesn't work on all kitties. Benni has been on it twice and it never helped.

Winston
November 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Poor SP...I hope she is on the mend!

L4H its my understanding when they stick their tongue out that they are smelling? not sure if its true though?

chico2
November 10th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Did you take her to a different vet?

When Vinnie had a tooth extracted,he was just a little dopey,but he had not been in pain like SP,could the tongue sticking out be because of the missing teeth,or because she's sore,poor little girl..
I am sure she is still in pain,but it should get better:pray:

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I hope Sweet Pea continues her road to recovery fast. I agree with the others, she's likely still feeling the affects of the anesthesia and it might take a few days for her to feel herself.

Love4himies
November 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Did you take her to a different vet?

When Vinnie had a tooth extracted,he was just a little dopey,but he had not been in pain like SP,could the tongue sticking out be because of the missing teeth,or because she's sore,poor little girl..
I am sure she is still in pain,but it should get better:pray:

Yes, I took her to a different vet. After speaking with him when I picked Sweet Pea up, I was glad I changed vets. He said that Sweet Pea would have been in a lot of pain and should have had those teeth removed ASAP.

Love4himies
November 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I hope Sweet Pea continues her road to recovery fast. I agree with the others, she's likely still feeling the affects of the anesthesia and it might take a few days for her to feel herself.

Yes, I realize that, but the problem is that she hasn't really eaten for over a week and the vet wants her eating pronto because she is at risk for fatty liver disease :(.

hazelrunpack
November 10th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I hope if she still has pain when you get home tonight you can get the pain patch for her! :fingerscr I wouldn't want to eat after dental surgery, either!!

Sending more :goodvibes: for Sweet Pea!!

luckypenny
November 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Get well quick wishes for Sweet Pea. :fingerscr she's much better tonight.

TeriM
November 10th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Hope Sweet Pea had a good night :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:.

Love4himies
November 11th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Thank you for all your well wishes :grouphug:

She is going back to the vet this morning, she still won't eat :(. She wants to, she keeps going back to her dish to try to eat.

Melinda
November 11th, 2010, 08:11 AM
*sending up prayers for sweetpea* I hope he can give her some pain meds that help her eat , poor pet.

breeze
November 11th, 2010, 08:27 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes: for sweet pea at the vets this morning :goodvibes:

:grouphug:

chico2
November 11th, 2010, 10:04 AM
L4,I am so sorry,for both you and SP,hopefully the new vet can help her:pray:
I don't know if she'll let you feed her,like 14+ and Benni,but somehow,she has to eat:fingerscr:grouphug:

Love4himies
November 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Thank you everybody.

No, I can't force feed her as the teeth that were pulled are where the syringe would go into her mouth so I risk tearing open her stitches :(.

The vet won't do the fentanyl patch :frustrated:, this is very frustrating indeed.

Chris21711
November 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Does he have any alternative meds he will give her L4H?

Love4himies
November 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
He is giving her anafen, which is still not one of SCM's fav pain meds for cats. And I trust SCM.

Why won't he just give me the 1/2 fentanyl pain patch :yell:. If it is too much for her, then I can take it off. :frustrated:, but I need her to eat :yell::yell::yell:

Melinda
November 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM
what about baby food ? beef or chicken?? Timothy had to have his teeth done (chinchilla) a few months ago and he couldn't eat so i fed him baby food with a tube letting it drip into his mouth, he really loved it and would "bark" at me for more.

cpietra16
November 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Oh L4H, how frustratiing for you and poor Sweet pea...having met her, you woul dneve rknow she was in so much pain. I hope she eats soon. If she doesn't eat soon, have they given you suggestions? At this point she needs food and calories poor baby.
Can the vet help in any way?

Tundra_Queen
November 11th, 2010, 06:27 PM
L4H,,,I'm sorry sweet pea is still in such pain. :(

Could u put food on your finger and let her lick it off or would that hurt her too?

Love4himies
November 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
She ate a bit more for dinner. I am watering down her food so she doesn't have to do any chewing.

Hopefully by tomorrow the pain from the extractions will subside enough for her to eat more :pray:

14+kitties
November 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
These kitties of ours! Good thing we love them so much.
Can you put a bit of food on her paws and have her lick them off? I know it would take a while to get anything substantial into her but I did try that with Benni. It may have worked if she hadn't kept flicking her feet. :rolleyes:
Sending lots of :goodvibes: for SP and for you. I know how hard it is. :grouphug:

rainbow
November 12th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Did your vet give you a reason for not using the fentanyl patch? :confused:

I hope Sweet Pea is feeling well enough tomorrow to eat on her own. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
November 12th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Did your vet give you a reason for not using the fentanyl patch? :confused:

I hope Sweet Pea is feeling well enough tomorrow to eat on her own. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Yes, he thought it too strong of a med for her. But they could do half a patch. The thing I liked about the patch is that it gives constant pain relief, not just once a day :frustrated:.

She ate a bit this morning and the swelling has gone down on her face. Her eyes are brighter and she seems to be getting some of her energy back. So hopefully it is uphill for her from now on :pray:.

DH left work early yesterday so he could come home and get her outside while it was still warm out. Fresh air and a bit of exercise can really enhance the appetite. :D

Love4himies
November 12th, 2010, 07:53 AM
These kitties of ours! Good thing we love them so much.
Can you put a bit of food on her paws and have her lick them off? I know it would take a while to get anything substantial into her but I did try that with Benni. It may have worked if she hadn't kept flicking her feet. :rolleyes:
Sending lots of :goodvibes: for SP and for you. I know how hard it is. :grouphug:

That is a good idea :thumbs up. I am going to try that for her meds too :cool:

breeze
November 12th, 2010, 10:42 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Chris21711
November 12th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Things sound a bit more optimistic this morning L4H :thumbs up

Love4himies
November 12th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Thank you, Breeze

Things sound a bit more optimistic this morning L4H :thumbs up

Yes, my mother called and asked if Sweet Pea could eat some more (she was previously restricted to a certain amount of food due to her being so overweight) as she seems to be hungry. So hopefully SP will eat more :pray:

Chris21711
November 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Yes, my mother called and asked if Sweet Pea could eat some more (she was previously restricted to a certain amount of food due to her being so overweight) as she seems to be hungry. So hopefully SP will eat more :pray:

Sounds like she is on the mend :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
November 12th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Oh, that's great news, L4H!

rainbow
November 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Glad to hear that Sweet Pea is doing better. :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
That sounds promising. :fingerscr Maybe now both of our girls will stop being little biatches and start behaving. :fingerscr

Tundra_Queen
November 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM
She ate a bit more for dinner. I am watering down her food so she doesn't have to do any chewing.

Hopefully by tomorrow the pain from the extractions will subside enough for her to eat more :pray:

When u give her food do u warm it for her? It might not hurt as much if it was luke warm.

chico2
November 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM
L4,I am happy to hear that she's doing better,I am sure the pain will subside with time,but she still has to eat:fingerscr
I always fed Rocky his first bit in a soup-spoon,with his meds and he always licked it up,when he was well enough.

Love4himies
November 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
She ate a full meal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally after almost two weeks :D Now to keep those 2 lbs off of her :frustrated:

Yes, they always get their meals warmed up. Before she had her teeth were pulled, I was making sure her food was lukewarm just in case she was sensitive to cold.

chico2
November 12th, 2010, 05:21 PM
WOW,that's a good girl Sweet-Pea:thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
November 13th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Yeahhhhhh Sweet Pea!! *doing the happy dance* Good girl!:D

L4H, I figured you were warming it up, but just thought I'd mention it just in case. :)

krdahmer
November 13th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Good to hear L4!!! :goodvibes: Way to go SP! :thumbs up

cpietra16
November 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
great to hear that L4H...a full meal sounds like good progress. YAH

Tundra_Queen
November 13th, 2010, 06:09 PM
L4H...how is sweet pea doing today? Did she eat more?

Love4himies
November 13th, 2010, 06:15 PM
She is now eating about 50% of what she was eating before which is great! Now I have to keep her food consumption to that and keep her weight down.

hazelrunpack
November 13th, 2010, 08:22 PM
:highfive: Yay!

chico2
November 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM
SP is on the road to recovery for sure and no more tooth-ache:thumbs up
Vinnie is over-weight too,but it's so darn hard:(