Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

FOUND Husky/MalamuteX - Calgary - Max Bell Area

Raffi
November 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM
We found this beautiful dog yesterday.

It looks as though she may have been on the run for a while as she is quite thin and ragged looking. She was also VERY tired.

She is very timid but has come around a bit after a good sleep and some food.

We have posted information a few places - Craigslist, Kijiji, Petlynx and here.
We will most likely bring to the City of Calgary Pound today if we do not hear any responses.

Raffi
November 9th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Forgot to say:

Please identify tag and collar to claim.

BenMax
November 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM
She is definately malnurished. Did you go to a vet or SPCA to have her scanned for a chip?

Please - if no one claims her try contacting a rescue group in the Calgary area. This way she will not be in danger of euthanasia if not claimed.

Huskies and malamutes are at high risk for being destroyed based on their breed.

She is absolutely stunning and when she is well...she will be even more so.

Thank you so much for taking her and not looking the other way.

Raffi
November 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks BenMax

She is not licensed and she does not have a tattoo. Perhaps the Humane Society will be a better idea than the City Pound.
We actually have some information about her that lead us believe she was initially used for breeding and when was unproductive she was given away to a family this summer.

We are considering trying to adopt her if the owners do not come forward.
We do not know much about the system but it seems that if we bring her in and indicate our interest in adoption then after the holding period (4 days) she will be ours.

We do have a dog who is getting along very well with her.

Marty11
November 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Can you keep the dog yourself till someone comes forward? Am I wrong to think that the chances of you adopting once you surrender her is small? I never worked with HS, maybe someone here knows.

BenMax
November 9th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Thank you for your reply.

The best course of action is to advise the shelter and/or pound in your municipality that you have this dog and will hold for the days required by law. You are not obliged to bring the dog.

Based on the medical condition of this dog (just by the photo) (I am not a vet) I can safely say that this dog's immune system may be compromised as she has been neglected and/or not fed. In a shelter or pound environment she will be suseptible to various 'bugs', namely kennel cough. She may be too weak to endure any virusus or bacterias.

I would keep her with you. If not claimed then she is yours or this will also give you an opportunity to seek out a good reputable rescue to assist.

Dog Dancer
November 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I agree with BM, I would hang on to the dog myself if that is an option. She could catch any number of things even in a short time at the pound. Plus mistakes happen there, she could get adopted out to others as well. Thank you for rescuing her anyhow. She is a beautiful girl! I would try taking her to a vet to get scanned for a chip just to check though.

Tundra_Queen
November 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM
What a kind soul u are for rescuing this poor dog. She is very pretty and in a nice home eviroment she will recover quicker than being in a noisy scary pound or HS. Not to put any pressure on ya. :D

chico2
November 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Raffi,first off thank,you for taking this girl in,she looks like she needs a lot of TLC.
With food,rest,a brushing and lots of love,I am sure she will be gorgeous,not that she is not already.
If I were you,I would do what many here say and not put her in a shelter,it looks to me like she's been through a lot already.