Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whats up kitty's liver problems?

brianna079
November 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Just wondering if anyone has seen something similar. This is a cat at a coworkers house, and she has been to the vet numerous times (and going back again this week).

Kitty is about 5 years old, tested FIV/FeLV negative, blood work came back clean except for her liver being engorged. Cat is jaundice, and has an enormous appetite, except she keeps losing weight. When the jaundice happened about a week and a half ago, she was hospitalised for several days on iv fluids. She is now back at home, jaundice, losing weight, and keeps eating like crazy.

Any suggestions that may have been overlooked? My coworker is quite upset about kitty's condition.

kathryn
November 9th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Did the kitty recently (prior to becoming sick) gain or loose alot of weight? She might have a fatty liver. It can also be a result of a viral infection.

Sometimes livers do strange things. My friends kitten has a liver shunt, but he never had jaundice. He would just eat alot then go into a "coma" from it. You can always do an infectious profile panel to check the titers for certain virus's, but it's tricky with cats because alot of cats have been exposed to alot of things and sometimes are totally fine and other times a virus that would normal cause a case of the sniffles can cause organ failure.

14+kitties
November 9th, 2010, 08:00 AM
In Benni's case it's a matter of trying to get her to eat. I had been force feeding her for around three months. She is now eating plain tuna packed in water but I keep trying other foods with her. She can't live on that forever. She was pretty jaundiced too. It's finally fading after a course of many drugs. She's maintaining weight. In fact, she had gained an ounce last time we were at the vets. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
November 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Can cats get hepatitis?