Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mamma and the last kitten!

krdahmer
September 15th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Ok...so I have them both now which brings my cat count up to 8!!! And man are these last two wild! The little guy sliced me and diced me pretty good when I nabbed him, but has since got a dose of Revolution and is hangin with his brothers and sister. Mamma on the other hand scares the crap outta me! I got her into a cage then transported her into my bathroom...where I let her out and she went nuts (I am ok...just tried to duck and cover so as not to get killed!) :( I can't get the Revolution on her without full body armour so I made a vet appt for tomorrow and they said they can keep her for the day and try to get that on and give her some shots. But I am not sure we can swing these added vet bills as my three also need shots etc next week (and they have to come first).

I am so frustrated, I have tried to get in touch with the Animal Assistance program and left messages for over a week now with no answer. I really want to give her a chance, without resorting to the humane society's answer (pts). She is barely a year and half! So if any of you are in the Niagara Region and can think of someone who might be able to help...please please let me know ASAP.

And on a lighter note....the three kittens seem happy to have their little brother back! :o

Lucky Rescue
September 15th, 2004, 08:30 AM
I don't know of any place that will take feral cats.:( There are three options I can think of: either you tame her first, then rehome her,find her a good barn home, or if your property has a warm and secure shelter and you will feed her and care for her, you can release her.(but I would try taming first)

It takes enormous patience to tame them, but it often can be done.

If you want to try taming her, drop me a line and we can discuss it!
laurent376@hotmail.com

chico2
September 15th, 2004, 08:56 AM
KrDahmer,I think I said it before,but you are an angel in disguise as a human :D
I know nothing about feral cats,but can imagine a hissing,spitting angry,terrified cat(I've experience with that!!) and it is very scary and painful.
All I can do is wish you the best and I hope with the help of Lucky our residence "cat-saviour" you'll do allright :D

krdahmer
September 15th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Ok...I already let Lucky know, but I have decided to put Mamma back out and pray that God will help me catch her again when I am better able to handle her. I also put in yet another call to animal assistance. So I am back down to 7 cats, and I imagine Mamma is fast asleep somewhere....lol...she had a trying morning! Poor thing :o
I totally still plan to help her and her little boyfriend before winter but I think I need to thin the herd so to speak here first (get the kittens adopted out).
Then she can have her own room and I will have the extra cash to feed her, get her shots, and fix her.

You know, I had a great high paying job with awesome benefits...
and I have never ever felt this good about what I'm doing! There is no pay, actually negative pay... I am covered in scratches....everyone I know thinks I'm nuts (save for my hubby)....AND I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS LEVEL OF JOB SATISFACTION!!!

I just thank God that I have an understanding Husband who supports me in all my crusades and capers!!! And for Pets.ca for affirming to me that I am in fact NOT crazy!!! ;) :D

Oh and here is a pic of mamma if you haven't seen her yet!

Lucky Rescue
September 15th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Did you put her outside unspayed?

krdahmer
September 15th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Yes, and I know that is a terrible no-no, but I am planning to try to catch her again in a month or so and do just that (should she be pregnant at that time I will take responsibility for the kittens as although my vet does abort, I'm not sure how I feel about that). Here in the falls there is no one to help with the cost of spaying or neutering (no catch/spay/release programs) and we cannot afford it now. I am hoping that this Animal Assistance place will get back to me soon, if not when the time comes I will work something out with my vet. Also she had to go back out because I do have three other cats that need to come first. I want to be able to get her healthy and taken care of, but I need a space to do that in. I want a chance to try to tame her and see if she could be someone's companion. And ditto for her little b/f, who was at one time an indoor kitten. (That's why I will get him second as it may not take as long to get him to come around to indoor living.) :o

krdahmer
September 15th, 2004, 10:01 PM
And the fourth kitten is doing much better after just one day....fleas are starting to croak, he is eating....and I cleaned him up a bit with a flea comb and some warm water and baby shampoo. He even had this HUGE piece of crusty in the corner of his eye that was making it look swollen shut. Now he looks a bit brighter and is even starting to interact more with his litter mates! :D

Mamma did such a good job! And once her kittens are in their perm. homes it'll be her turn for some TLC, mind you it'll have to be through full body armour at first! :rolleyes: :o

chico2
September 16th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Dahmer,I think you are amazing,it's unfortunate you had to let mama go,probably to get pregnant again...but I can also understand why.
She's a very pretty cat and I hope you'll have a chance to have her spayed soon.Unfortunately we cannot always do what we need to do,but I am happy the kittens have you..
Does the mama-cat stick around your house all the time??and the father??
I know you also have your 2 beautiful girlies and the black/white kitty,how are they reacting to all these kitties??
I can also understand the enormous satisfaction you must feel,worth more than any money in the world.

krdahmer
September 16th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks Chico...and no they don't hang out all the time, they really only come at certain times of day for food. We are in an apartment building that is full of kids (and some pretty rotten ones, like the ones that were hurting Buddy), so Mamma and Pappa usually come early morning before school and later on in the evening. Now that the kids are gone all day I have seen them during the day as long as their is no work being done outside (not like now where the parking lot is being paved).

I hope to get Mamma ASAP. I am really working on getting these kittens good homes. I think I may have even started to sway my mom into getting Cordelia a companion! Cordelia is 6 years old now and has been alone for about 5 of those, and now that my parents are retired and travelling a bit more, I said a little friend would be perfect because although I take care of her when they are away, she spends most of that time alone compared to constant companionship when they are home. And my brother his wife and their cat Rosco just moved into a new house....so that's lots of room for a new kitten! (Plus he said he wants one!) And they both work full time so Rosco is another alone-most-of-the-time kitty. My best friend pland to take one of the little orange tabby fellas soon. And the last may just stay right here! (just dont tell hubby that yet!!! Of course he has always talked about training one to come with him in the Truck!)

As for what my kitties think of all these "houseguests", well they have never seen them and I am trying to keep them completely apart. They are used to the spare room door being closed to them, and I have placed a towel under it so that they can't share too many germs under the door. I know they are curious as to why that room keeps "jingling" :rolleyes: and why I take really good smelling food in there, but for the most part the girls are too preoccupied with what Buddy is up to, to care what is behind door #2!!! ;)

I've taken some more pics of the little gaffers too, so hopefully I can post those soon. :D

glasslass
September 16th, 2004, 01:59 PM
I admit I was laughing visualizing you needing to use that little room while mama was in it. How do you go with full body armor? :D LOL! Would your vet give you a discount for multi-vaccinations? Will he let you make payments for mama's spaying?

chico2
September 16th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Glasslass,it's funny you should say that,my husband said the exact same thing.
We had a semi-feral orange unneuterd cat following us around everywhere in Cuba.One day he came with me into the hotel-bathroom,I closed the door and he attacked,got a big chunk out of my foot :eek: He was otherwise a big suck,especially with hubby,but the closed door drove him nuts!!

krdahmer
September 16th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Ok....so if I had of waited one more day....grrrrr. The lady from Animal Assistance finally called me today and we made the arrangements to get Mamma spayed and shots, etc. Now I just have to make room (re-locate the kittens to their new homes) and catch her again....which may prove tricky cause now she knows what that cage is for! And is she ever a smart cookie!
And I also discussed Mamma's boyfriend with her too...she said that next time I leave a message that I need to stress that it is a stray cat I am calling about so that she gets back to me sooner. I guess they take care of them first when returning calls. So the ball is rolling....and once I catch her I'm sure I'll be on here often for support and advice because this is my first 'wild-cat' capture! Nothing would make me happier than to see Mamma in a loving home. And this Animal Assistance program is the one that works with PetSmart to adopt out their animals.

I even talked to the cats (my furbabies) about how they felt about all this!! LOL...sure sign that I am so ruled by kitties! Windy is sleeping away wrapped around my feet as I type....and I just want all cats to have a safe place like this with someone to love and care for them. :o

pug lover
September 16th, 2004, 06:38 PM
good luck and congrtulations