Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat cooing

bonbon1472003
November 6th, 2010, 05:27 AM
my 17 year old cat has not stopped cooing since i brought her back from the vet. She pretty much stopped eat. I had her at the vet on day 2 of this. said her wbc was up and prescribed clavaseptin and her liver count was off and prescribed Denosyl and cyproheptadine to get her eating again. She had all her pills yesterday and had a little bit of food and has been pacing the floor and cooing all night. I know she is trying to tell me something but I cant figure it out. checked all the drug profiles and there should not be a problem there. I'm thinking she can only be getting better but in the meantime she is scaring me.:confused:

Winston
November 6th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Welcome....what do you mean cooing? meowing? Does she eat wet food or dry? Can you add some water to her food or put something on it to entice her to eat? even some parmesan cheese? kittys can go down hill quickly if they dont eat for a couple of days so I would do whatever I could to get her to eat. Her tummy maybe upset from the meds with not alot of food.

Why dont you give you vet a quick call and explain her pacing and problems eating to see what they say.

Ideally the vet is your best bet..

sugarcatmom
November 6th, 2010, 09:28 AM
prescribed Denosyl and cyproheptadine to get her eating again. ...........

........checked all the drug profiles and there should not be a problem there.

Actually cyproheptadine can indeed cause restlessness and yowling in some cats. Could be the dose is a bit too high for her (how much did the vet tell you to give her?). There is another appetite stimulant that might work better (but it also has the potential to cause restlessness) called mirtazapine.

Has your kitty had any other lab work done, like a urinalyis? Any ideas why she may have stopped eating?

Here's some info for you on cyproheptadine: http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#cyproheptadine

The most common appetite stimulant used in cats is cyproheptadine (Periactin), an antihistamine which in cats may have the side effect of stimulating appetite. Unfortunately it can also have several other side effects, such as making the cat agitated, causing howling, making the cat breath faster, or having the opposite effect of causing lethargy. In a small number of cats it may cause reduced urination or an increased heart rate or temperature. If you see such symptoms, check with your vet - the dosage you have used could well be too high.

Since cyproheptadine is not really designed to be an appetite stimulant (and indeed may not work for all cats), dosage can be rather hit and miss, so you should be guided by your vet. Since the body of a cat with CRF eliminates cyproheptadine more slowly than that of a healthy cat, you should start with a low dose, increasing it only if necessary you are aiming for a dosage which stimulates your cat to eat whilst ideally not making the cat agitated or lethargic.

bonbon1472003
November 6th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Just as I was writing this the vets office called and said to reduce the cyproheptadine to half pill 2mg in the morn/night. I gave her 4mg yesterday morning and 4mg last night and again 4mg this morning. Hopefuly as the day wears on it will get out of her stomach. She only weighs 5.6 lbs.
They said she has an infection and her liver and white Blood count both not where they should be. She has eaten about a table spoon of the critical care food from the vets and she is drinking.
Yowling does describe the sounds she is making and since she is doing it quiet often the vet heard it while on the phone.
thank you both for replying and Sugarcatmom you hit it right on the nose and as much searching for answers I did not find it till your link
Thanks again
i will keep you updated

bonbon1472003
November 7th, 2010, 07:27 AM
yowling and agitation continues. she is eating (the reason for the cyproheptadine) she is drinking she is urinating but she has not pooped since this all started on Friday. when she is in the the box she is urinating and does not appear to be trying to poop. I smooth the litter and check it often and watch her when she is in it. I was reading about the dosage and preciuos was way overdosed for her weight. I hope she poops soon. this has me all stressed out that. I now don't trust the vet and I'm afraid for her.

bonbon1472003
November 9th, 2010, 05:46 PM
precious is all better. She has all normal functions again. She will remain on a low protein diet. Thanks all:thumbs up

sugarcatmom
November 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
precious is all better. She has all normal functions again.

Fantastic news!

She will remain on a low protein diet.

Why?