Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toilet paper rolls

dashn'us
November 5th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Dash really enjoys chewing the cardboard toilet paper rolls. Does anyone else have this problem? He just chews on them and leaves pieces everywhere. I'm not sure if this is bad for his tummy or not but they are constantely on our floor.
Maybe it's just cause he's teething but I'd like to get him out of this habit. Despite all the other toys we have for him he still seems to prefer the toilet paper rolls and empty water bottles.

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM
All our dogs loved shredding cardboard tubes when they were teething. :D

We made sure they couldn't get at the empty tubes, redirected with another toy if we caught them with one, and with patience and consistency, we eventually convinced (most of) them that cardboard tubes were really not all that delightful.

That being said, I have one who still prefers the cardboard tube with the toilet paper still on it...sigh. So now we have plastic shields over the rolls to prevent theft and ingestion by bratty Brier. :dog:

Gail P
November 6th, 2010, 04:47 PM
My dogs love shredding rolls and any other kind of cardboard. When the toilet paper is almost gone Flurry will bump it with his nose "asking" for the roll. And Lightning just goes nuts for a big cereal box, he will tear around the house with it for a minute growling and then rip it to shreds. They love it...I let them...it all works out. I just have a mess to clean up later...so what else is new? :rolleyes: :laughing: I kind of figure it allows them to rip something harmless up...better cardboard than something important.

Melinda
November 6th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I toss em and paper towel rolls for brina all the time *L* she loves them, timothy (chinchilla) gets one a month to shred, 'brina's favortie time of year is coming up, xmas.....those rolls are deadly *L*