Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

TV PROGRAM PET PHARM CBC Prozac

pbpatti
November 4th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone, there is a program on CBC right now about pharaceutical products for our animals...if you are interested......:shrug:

luckypenny
November 4th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I didn't get a chance to see it, did you Patti? Here's the description of the documentary. I imagine it should be made available for online viewing in a couple of days.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/doczone/2010/petpharmacy/

erykah1310
November 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I saw most of it and sadly it will be the way of the future, its already been easier for people to medicate their children as apposed to bring them outside away from TV's and video games and burn off excess energy, for a while every kid had ADD, then ADHD. Ridalyn seemed to be in everyone I know's cupboards.
It only makes sense that as a society that expects everything to be easy with minimal work we will start medicating our animals as apposed to fulfilling energy requirements.
I mean, the white poodle??? C'mon from what I saw in a few clips of him, they reinforced his anxiety and barking and started making excuses for his behavior then picked him up because he was "anxious"
As for how the one Dr. was in Asia trying to sell the drugs to them because they will pave the way for the American market. What starts off big over there does eventually make its way here.
I found the whole thing disgusting really, of what I saw anyway but cant help but think its coming and its coming fast.
Think of it, no one will have to train or excercise their dogs again, just pop some pills into them and voila, perfect zombie in fur.
Easy for our lazy society right

erykah1310
November 5th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Oh and at the end when one of the Dr.s ( cant remember their names) was saying something along the lines of " these dogs are no longer bred to protect livestock and so on, but are now bred to play tug of war in the living room, that is their jobs" I dont think so. Its still in our breeds, their origional purpose has been bred into them for generations upon generation, just because we feel they no longer should be working for what ever reasons whether it be too cruel or what ever. The fact is, they still are quite capable and probably would be more balanced if they did have the adequate outlet for their energy and I highly doubt tug of war in the living room is going to satisfy their instinct.
I believe we as humans are treating our pets too much like how we feel they should be as apposed to what may truely be best for them and in turn we are solely to blame for their behaviour problems.
I made this point earlier on someones Facebook regarding Ceasar Milan and techniques. Seems to be coming up a lot lately, how dogs are messed up and we refuse to see that it very well may be the way we are housing and restricting them

krdahmer
November 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I didn't get to watch, but I can imagine the gist. There's a pill for everything now.... which in some cases is good. I've had two of my guys take a prozac type pill for two very different reasons, and in both cases all it did was make them sleep more... there was no real effect on the actual problem. They did better with a pherimone plug in and some extra attention.

Now when it comes to people, I seriously think that a lot of issues would be solved if the government just put the prozac right into the water supply! :laughing:;)