Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dash is dry heaving

dashn'us
November 4th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Our six month old mini schnauzer has been dry heaving all throughout the night. Other than that he seems to be fine. He's eating and drinking normally and nothing seems out of sorts. But it's really loud when he does and it looks and sounds quite painful. Does anyone have any idea on what this could be?

All answers could be helpful! Thank you!

Love4himies
November 4th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Can you record it on video and show it to your vet? Could it be coughing or asthma?

breeze
November 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM
With the cooler/cold weather upon us and we turn on the heat it could be that the air is dryer?? or it could be a start of a cold,?? or kennel cough??

your best bet is to take him to the vet and let him/her listen to the dry heaving to be safe..

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Is it a dry heave, dashn'us, or does it seem like uncontrollable deep and rapid inhalations? Is his nose up when he does it? I'm wondering if the dry air has brought on a bout of reverse sneezing?

breeze
November 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM
how is the dry heaving today dashn'us

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

dashn'us
November 5th, 2010, 09:25 PM
He's a bit better today. It seems to be worse throughout the night. I googled some home remedies and have been giving him some honey. It's said to help his throat not feel so sore. If things keep getting better then we will leave it be but if it gets worse we'll have to take him in to the vet.
We will definitely be getting him the bortadella shot asap. He loves the dog park and I don't want to take that away from him! So we'll just have to keep him healthy and safe for now!
Thanks everyone!

erykah1310
November 6th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Kennel cough vaccine really will not protect your dog as much as you may think it will.
Also the bordetella is usually accompanied by another infectious agent such as Adenovirus or Parainfluenza
Not all strains of Bordetella is covered by the vaccine either and it does need to be boosted something like every 6 months.
all in all, as long as it isn't accompanied by anything else it really is just like a common cold.
Not something I am willing to inject or intranasally put into my dogs on a regular basis in hopes that the strain of the virus that they come into contact with is one of the ones covered by the vaccine.
Just my 2 cents.

If indeed this is what your dog has and there is a place near you that sells livestock "stuff" see if they have Zev, a bit of Zev ( for horses and dogs and ...) with a bit of honey really helps calm the cough.