Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some suggestions

mastifflover
November 4th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Well I got a job yesterday doing a feature film but here is the kicker it is in Sault Ste. Marie only a mere 9 hours from Toronto. I have a friend Scott who is going to come and stay at my place with Clark. This is going to be for about 45 days and I am worried that he will think I have deserted him. Clark likes Scott but he is mommas boy. I may be able to take him but it is a 9 hour bus ride and he would have to travel in baggage which is really not an option as far as I am concerned especially for that amount of time. I think that would do more damage to him than him staying in the city. I do not have the option of flying even though I am trying to get them to pay for it I am even going to offer to pay for the return flight if he can stay at the hotel with me. But if that is not an option he will stay here my other choice was boarding and I do love my kennel but it is a long time. What are your thoughts and anything I should do for Clark to make my departure a little easier for him. I think staying in his own home is the best option but I value your opinions and would like to hear from you. I leave next Wed. or Thurs. not a lot of time
Or do any of you live in the Soo? :D:pawprint:

Winston
November 4th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Mastifflover I always say if they cant go with you then its best and probably more comfortable for Clarke to stay in his own environment.....Dont worry he wont forget his Momma! he will prpabably go bananas when you come home!!! :thumbs up

Good luck!

Masha
November 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Can you drive there? We drove there from toronto last summer and it took us 7 hours. Its an easy road to get there and you can take breaks for your boy. We drove there with Jermy. btw its a beautiful town, we really liked it :)

breeze
November 4th, 2010, 10:02 AM
IMO if he can not go with you I would let him stay in his own home and let your friend Scott come and take care of him. (less stress)

personally I don't like kennels we did that for a week on my first dog and it was not a happy experience ( not saying all kennels are like that I would just prefer their own environment

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

pbpatti
November 4th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I too would choose to leave Clark at home if that is possible (sounds like it is) or maybe you can get rides to the Souix...hint,hint, you know how everyone car pools for furbabies???hint hint...I would help but being 3 Provinces away is pretty far. patti

14+kitties
November 4th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I would opt for the staying home too. Do you get a day or two off you can go home part way through the film making? Maybe you could sneak in for a quick visit. Clark won't forget you anyway but maybe then the time would not seem so long for you.

Dog Dancer
November 4th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Another stay at home vote here. I think that even if they're a bit stressed, it's still better that they're at home.

mastifflover
November 4th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks guys really appreciate your opinions. I do not have a car other wise he would surely be coming with me. But you cannot take dogs on the bus they travel as cargo (not happening) way too risky especially with the cold weather. No trains to the Soo bus 11 hours and 45 min or plane 1hour 30 minutes and flying there is more expensive than flying to Europe between 800 and 1200 so I won't be able to come home. I only hopefully have weekends off. But I think he will be okay I am just adding one more thing to get stressed about. But if I can get a cheap flight I will fly home since I won't be spending any money up there. But I will be home just in time for Christmas so you can guess who will be getting majorly spoiled :fingerscr:pawprint::pawprint:

TeriM
November 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Why don't you just rent a car? I would imagine that it would probably be about the same price as your bus fare would be :shrug:.

mastifflover
November 4th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I am going to be gone for about 45 days and returning a rental at a different location costs a premium. Also production pays for my transportation and I have a rental car for me in the Soo. Due to tax credits for the production I have to use products and services and hire as many locals as possible. This is a fairly low low budget. If it was a bigger budget I would be flying and Clark would be coming for sure providing the hotel gave me the okay they seem to be on the side of saying yes since we are renting so many rooms for so many days.

rainbow
November 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I opt for Scott coming to your place too.

Regarding your question about anyone here living in the Soo .....doesn't NoahGrey live there?

mastifflover
November 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM
So things are changing Clark is now going to go home with Scott. He will come back to my place a week before I get home. I actually think this will be good for Clark as Scott lives in a rural area which will lower Clarks stress level. He is going to keep working on socializing him and getting him tons of exercise since there is lots of hiking trails around him. He has 2 pugs.

Floppy Dog
November 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I have one suggestion to add. Make sure you pack something, like a favourite sweatshirt or pair of pants, that you wear often and smells like you. It will comfort Clark while you are away. G-Man does this all the time with our dog Lady, and my step-son's dog Carter and it works like magic.