Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shih Tzu's back legs have mind of their own

rebecca_c
November 3rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
I have a 1 1/2 year old shih tzu who is extremely active and hyper. He also seems to be very flexible, especially with his hind legs. My concern is that when he's standing he seems to lose control of his back legs in the sense that his legs try to go forward and meet his head. When his legs start to do this his body looks like 'C' shape and that he's presenting his butt to us. It's like his back legs get a mind of their own and try to go in the front. It becomes so uncontrollable that he will slip and fall. It does not last for very long, but it does happen often.

I'm afraid he might have neurological problems and that his neurons are sending misfires in his brain.

Does anyone else have this issue with their dog or is it a known problem with this breed?

Also, his hind legs are unusually long for his breed and i'm almost sure he is a puppy mill dog which might also be contributing factors to his problem.

Hopefully, i'm overreacting. Thank you to anyone who answers.

luckypenny
November 3rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum :). By any chance, would you have photos or videos of what you are describing?

Shaykeija
November 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM
Have you been to the vet yet? A check up is needed. And we demand pictures..LOL I have a soft spot for tzhu's.:cloud9: