Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any ideas ?

Stewart
September 15th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Occasionally I have noticed my GSD while lazeing she is just stareing into space and slowly lick her lips nose area real slow and not after having been fed anything ...... is this tasteing the air I wonder ..... its so strange ....her tounge also appears to quiver ..... ive seen other dogs do this,Anyone know why ?....just curious lol Is this a type of yawn otherwise ?

Bugsy
September 15th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Maybe it's the equivalent of a human half yawn? You know
when you almost yawn but don't...then swallow right
after.

Sneaky2006
September 15th, 2004, 07:02 AM
It does sound like a yawn type deal. Although dogs are quacky enough to taste the air too!

GsdDiamond
September 15th, 2004, 08:24 AM
If she's staring into space, maybe she's daydreaming about treats gone by! Lip licking may be just a side effect!!! :D

Writing4Fun
September 15th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Did anyone else yawn when reading the first couple of replies?? :p

I think she was just half-asleep, and the licking was a kind of comfortable, happy thing. Like what horses do when they're calm and happy. I bet if she was cuddling with you at the time, she would have been lazily licking your arm. It's just that at that particular moment, there was nothing nearby for her to lick, so she was licking air. :D

raingirl
September 15th, 2004, 08:38 AM
When I was in high school, my best friend had a poodle.

I don't remember how we figured this out, but if you blew into his face, he would lick the air!! It was so funny!