Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet bills

StellaDoxie
November 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
I adopted a miniature dachshund 5 months ago. I feed her only the best food, we go for 3 - 4 walks a day, I even hired a dog walker to help out when I can't come home at lunch to walk her.

Last Tuesday she began vomiting violently. I took her to the vet and she tested positive for pancreatitis. It's now a week later, 8 days to be exact, and she's still vomiting bile. She keeps her food down and she's pooping. I've spent close to $2,000 on vet bills already and now they're talking ultra sound and possible surgery (in case of blockage).

I love my dog, but I'm not a wealthy person. If she requires surgery, I'm looking at $4,000... And I just can't believe it.

Just wondering what you would do if you were in my shoes.

Thanks.

Cathy1
November 2nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
You can check this thread and see if it will help you.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50908

Rgeurts
November 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
I adopted a miniature dachshund 5 months ago. I feed her only the best food, we go for 3 - 4 walks a day, I even hired a dog walker to help out when I can't come home at lunch to walk her.

Last Tuesday she began vomiting violently. I took her to the vet and she tested positive for pancreatitis. It's now a week later, 8 days to be exact, and she's still vomiting bile. She keeps her food down and she's pooping. I've spent close to $2,000 on vet bills already and now they're talking ultra sound and possible surgery (in case of blockage).

I love my dog, but I'm not a wealthy person. If she requires surgery, I'm looking at $4,000... And I just can't believe it.

Just wondering what you would do if you were in my shoes.

Thanks.

Hi StellaDoxie,

I'm sorry to hear about your new baby. It's always tough when they take ill, but it's so much worse when you financially can't afford it. The links provided are wonderful. I would first check in to those.

You said you were wondering what some of us would do in your shoes... my husband and I got a new baby in April. He's an Alaskan Malamute. I won't go in to all the details, but we have spent over $12,000 to date and who knows how much more it will be, and there is no guarantee we will have him long term.

All I can say is that we are far from wealthy, but were lucky we had some money put away and we have the support of all the wonderful people on this forum who understand, and would do the same as we have (which is everything within your means). The money in savings and rrsp's is almost gone now, but we will find a way to continue treatment. We have decent jobs and only furkids, so all the extra money we have goes to him at this point. I feel blessed because I know not everyone is as fortunate as we are and I'm sure many people would have put him down by now.

We have had so many people around us tell us that we're "nuts" or "crazy", but it doesn't matter what anyone thinks except us. We love him. So do all that you can, and don't feel bad for what you can't do. Spending $2,000 already is alot for most people. Again, check out the links that were posted and good luck to you and your doxie. Please keep us updated on how she is doing :grouphug:

Cathy1
November 3rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I don't know where you are located but here is another
http://farleyfoundation.org/

BenMax
November 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Before going further, I would get a 2nd opinion. From there, it would be your decision to make.

It is a tough one as we all love our fur companions. I am not wealthy either and I did draw the line for my rottie who has since passed. My circumstances was cancer and trying to save a dog that was doomed. In the end, thousands of dollars spent with thousands more ahead and the end results was an unguaranteed 6 months more. I opted to stop treatment and just to love him for the one month I knew he would have.

Whatever decision you do decide to take, you will get nothing more than alot of support here..regardless of what you decide. We are all in different financial situations but our love for our pets is priceless...as is yours.

Strength to you, but please get a 2nd opinion. You never know.

totallyhip
November 3rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
I agree! 2nd opinions for sure! Some vets are just out there to pad their pocket books

StellaDoxie
November 3rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
Thank you all for your support. I do have some money saved up, just never dreamed I'd be spending it on my dog. But she makes me happy and has cheered me up at times when nobody else could.

I would get a second opinion, but I know they're not out to line their pockets. They took care of my cat during his final days. He was 16 yrs old and had a mass in his intestines. They actually recommended that I put him to sleep, that a surgery would not help him. Besides, if she's been vomiting for 8 days straight and an x-ray shows nothing... an ultra sound is the next step. I called around for prices and theirs is reasonable.

Thanks again. I'll keep you updated.

StellaDoxie
November 5th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Just a quick update. We skipped the ultrasound and went straight into surgery. They found a ball of something... something she ate that didn't digest. No idea what it is... but she's on the road to recovery!

14+kitties
November 5th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Good luck on her recovery. :goodvibes::fingerscr Please keep us updated. :thumbs up

Rgeurts
November 6th, 2010, 12:44 AM
That's wonderful!! Here's hoping she makes a full and speedy recovery :pray: :goodvibes:

mastifflover
November 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Glad to hear you baby is on the road to recovery. We love our pets but sometimes we cannot do everything for them but we try to do all we can. I am glad you could do this for your dog. They are truly worth every penny we spend on them.

hazelrunpack
November 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Sending along more :goodvibes: for a quick and complete recovery! When will she be able to come home?

StellaDoxie
November 9th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Another update! She's home now and back to wagging her tail with everything she's got. A definite sign that she's getting better.

I opted for the cone to keep her from licking her incision, but after 3 days, she seems to have lost interest in the stitches. Of course, when she's alone, I put the cone back on.

The bill is outrageous and will take us 3 years to pay off. But the way I see it, that just means less vacations and a lifetime of love from a wonderful dog. If I didn't see it that way, I would lose my mind ; )

Rgeurts
November 9th, 2010, 12:05 PM
That is how hubby and I see it as well!! And it's so true :D

14+kitties
November 9th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Vacation? What's a vacation? :rolleyes:
I look at it as I would never ever get as much love from a "place" like I do from all of my catty cats and house kitties. I might love the place I am visiting. It can't love me back. A place I am visiting would never make me feel like my life is perfect. That is what my pets give me. I would not change it for a million years.
And credit cards - my kids will probably still be paying off my cards after I'm gone. So what? They have good jobs. :D