Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ceasar Milan Seminar

Sylvie
November 1st, 2010, 06:29 PM
Has anyone gone to the seminar in Canada???

Melinda
November 2nd, 2010, 06:07 AM
I'm going tomorrow night, seems that a few are unhappy about it, not about his training , but about his comparing dog training to women, or to lazy people, dogs in america are like fat spoiled wives etc....so we shall see.........I only found one review about his seminar and they were quite down on his conversations.:confused:

BenMax
November 2nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Going on Thursday! Looking forward to it.

TeriM
November 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
I actually went to this last week. I went with a friend who went to a Patricia McConnell seminar with me so was keeping my mind open. My expectations were not that high but surprisingly found the seminar to be very enjoyable. He has a very strong "presence" and there was a lot of humour. I suppose there might have been a few odd comments but I certainly didn't find anything offensive.

I have conflicted thoughts about Cesar. I really buy into the keeping calm and exercising your dog but at the same time I totally think he over simplifies with the dominant theories. That said, he was quite good with the cases he presented (no dog-dog dominant cases) and was very good at reading the dogs and picking up any nervous body language from the dogs he worked with and gained their trust very quickly.

The venue we saw it at in Vancouver is a beautiful new 1000 seat theatre so was a great place to see plus we were fourth row (friend is a big fan). There were a lot of cameras so I think he might have been taping for a possible future DVD? He is visiting much larger venues elsewhere.

Apparently he was served with divorce papers while touring in england :eek:.

Melinda
November 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
oh now I really look forward to seeing it! imagine being on tour when you're served.....sad really

Sylvie
November 2nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
I went to see on Saturday in Hamilton. I really enjoyed the whole thing. I did not hear anything that was offensive, but then I was laughing so hard, maybe I missed it. He made fun of everyone, that is what humour is all about unfortunately. But we still laugh.

Melinda I am sure you will have a good time.

Myka
November 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
I wanted to go to the seminar in Edmonton, but if I remember corrently it was $170. I am not willing to pay that much.

Sylvie
November 2nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
I did not pay $170 and we were in the second row.

Melinda
November 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM
I paid 65 and were first row on the side, 170 was if you wanted the pack ticket where you stay after the show for a Q/A period, also if you went through ticket master they were almost doubled. In ottawa some tickets are 25 dollars

Sylvie
November 3rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Melinda, we had the tickets that you could ask a question, but they still were not 170, I guess the prices vary at the different cities??

BenMax
November 5th, 2010, 09:32 AM
So - I went to the show last night. It was high level so I did not come out of there with anything new as far as training goes. What I did get out of it is some insight on how dogs interpret our gestures. Beyond what anti Caesar people say, he actually does advocate letting dogs be dogs with structure in order to intergrate within a family/human dynamics. He is just one of those people that have a special 'something' with animals that I think most of us wish we had. His demonstrations with dogs he never met was good and it was more about teaching the people, rather than teaching the dog.

I can understand why alot of trainers do not like him...he is personable, humble, not full of himself, and actually showed some things that we have learnt from trainers that are silly.

He was definately inspirational and optimistic. He spoke briefly about puppymills, breed bans and spay/neuter...something that we all hold dear; Caesar fan or not. I can say that coming away from there, I heard many comments from those that have given up...that they will try harder with their dogs. There is no doubt in my mind that within this sold out show, dogs have been saved from going to shelters...and there are going to be dogs adopted OUT of shelters and rescues.

All in all, good show, great message and it was great to be amongst followers and non followers. We all came out with something positive.

mastifflover
November 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I am also a fence sitter I like certain things he does and says and some I do not agree with. But bottom line is he genuinely loves dogs and works hard to save them from going to shelters when families have thrown in the towel. He is also a huge supporter of rescue especially Pits and Staffs so that goes a long way with me. I also think he is very personable.

Etown_Chick
November 7th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I saw him in Edmonton and thought the show was great!
I got a lot out of it. Maybe nothing that he doesn't cover in his shows, but the clips are always so quick. Plus I figure there are things going on the background that we don't see.
He really does have a way with dogs. I tried what he said at the dog park today, and it was like I had a totally different dog.

Loki Love
November 8th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I tried what he said at the dog park today, and it was like I had a totally different dog.

I'm curious as to what you tried and how it worked. How was your dog different?

Melinda
November 8th, 2010, 06:46 AM
we had 27 over on saturday for hubs bday, normally I give Brina a huge marrow bone to keep her occupied so everyone can get in without being kissed to death, but this time, I told everyone as they entered to pleaseeeeee listen to me this time and do not talk to brina till after they come in and sitdown, and if she calmly walks by them they can talk to her and pet her, you know his "no talk, no touch , no eye contact....".............holy mother....you'd think she was a different dog, only one person got her hyped up and one snap of my fingers calmed her down and she sat. She was so well behaved I was amazed.:shrug: so, like he said at the seminar, train the people who enter our home....and correct the dog.

Etown_Chick
November 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Loki,
I gave him a shot of brandy before we went! hee hee
Seriously, SCruffy is ball-obsessed. He will drop it but jumps and snaps at us as we try to pick it up with teh chuckit.
I've gotten in the habit of moving between him and the ball to 'claim' it before I pick it up, but this time I made him sit first and be calm before I threw it.
He still played and had fun but was way less possessive and growly. I took him again tonight and he was still much better. I guess I'm lucky in that he catches on quickly when I change things. Now I have to keep it up.

oldbraincells
November 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
I believe most critics are those that haven't given the time to actually watch more than once .. all the claims of 'kicking' and 'hanging' are simple ignorant rants. The usual clips are usually those from the show that include THE MOST intensive cases like the husky which is actually (if you watch the whole episode) a wolf-hybrid with some pretty strong 'self assertiveness' issues. The positive training methods that will work on your naturally placid golden retriever just won't apply with some fairly head-strong dogs. Tired of all the propaganda with words like 'punishing', 'kicking', 'hitting' and 'strangling' that seem to be used throughout the criticisms against Millan. It typical human nature to attack the most knowledgeable, even more so with formally educated so called professionals against those with so called informal education (such as Millan). His knowledge was/is gained by experience and observation..there is NO SUBSTITUTE for experience and I am not talking about classroom or white room experience. The behavior laboratory is ongoing and exists outside the 'controlled' environment. Many of the professional critics act contrary to their rants.