Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

To tube or not to tube ...........

14+kitties
November 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM
...... that is the question. :rolleyes:
As a lot of you know I am dealing with liver issues and not eating with Benni.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72561
While I pray we have the liver issues under control :fingerscr and will continue with hepatic support for Benni's lifetime we need some help with the eating situation.
Benni has been eating dry food in increasing amounts for a while now. She is up to about 20 to 25 pieces of dry food and treats a day. However, that is by far not enough to keep her going. Not to mention the whole dry food issue. I have been force feeding her for quite some time which is very stressful on her and me. I try not to show my stress but when I have to fight with her to eat it's difficult some days.
The vet has mentioned a feeding tube before. What I would like from you good folks is how you would deal with the situation. What would you do in my situation - tube or not tube (continue to force feed)?

Dog Dancer
November 1st, 2010, 04:06 PM
14+, I have no experience in feeding tubes so I cannot offer you any opinion on this. What I can offer you is my full support in whatever you decide to do for Benni. You obviously know what is involved, and you know the relationship between yourself and Benni. If force feeding is too stressful and the feeding tube is a non-stressed fix then go with it. I would assume (and I could be totally wrong) that if the tube didn't work out or help you could have it removed. Would Benni be in any discomfort from a feeding tube? Trust your gut my friend. You know Benni better than anyone. Bless you for continuing to care for her as you do. :angel2:

chico2
November 1st, 2010, 04:10 PM
i of course have no idea,but if that's what it takes to make her well and lessen the stress on both her and you,i would go for it.
i am pretty sure i've read here that someone was doing it to her cat,maybe growler:shrug:

aslan
November 1st, 2010, 04:26 PM
14+ i think it was Sugarcatmom who had to tube at one point. My only question since i have absolutely no idea about this..if you feed her through a tube how is it going to get her eating again if she's already full?

14+kitties
November 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM
When the vet first mentioned the tube I said only as a last resort. I have done quite a bit of reading on them since then and think this may be the answer but am still torn. I know I can continue to do what I am doing. BUT is it better for Benni? That is why I am thinking the tube may be less stressful for her and may get her eating on her own.
This is one of the articles I have read. Seeing as it's part of the same one we keep telling folks about and it's by a vet I tend to put merit to it.
http://www.catinfo.org/?link=feedingtubes

Oh, and aslan - it will answer your question as well. ;)

14+kitties
November 1st, 2010, 05:19 PM
Mmm, well I guess the whole idea is on the shelf at the moment. I just spoke to the vet. She wants to see Benni and do another blood workup to see if things have changed. I am taking her in tomorrow at 4. She then said a tube would not be done without an ultrasound and possible biopsy first. Funny it was her that mentioned it a few weeks ago though. :confused: I can't do all of that. It is just not feasible. So....... hopefully the blood work will show something. :fingerscr

Koteburo
November 1st, 2010, 06:06 PM
I had to make that choice one with my Peanut (dog), in his case it didn't work because his illness was of a different nature than Benni's. Peanut was a victim of a mysterious immunologic disorder that make his immune system depressed and he wouldn't eat, he was hospitalized for about 10 days and at some point the vet talked to me about the tube. I said yes because I wanted so badly to do whatever possible to save him.

Now about the tube itself it does the work, Peanut's was on the side of his neck/shoulder they keep it covered until food is inserted.
It doesn't look as brutal as I imagined. I think if Peanut had a chance the tube would have been a good thing for him.
I don't know how uncomfortable that could be for them and emotionally.

sugarcatmom
November 1st, 2010, 06:13 PM
I'm a big fan of feeding tubes and wouldn't hesitate to put one in, if the situation warranted it. In fact, I've had to resort to tubes on 3 separate occasions for 2 of my cats. There is just no way I could possibly have force fed them for as long as they needed it (3+ months average), and because food aversions can develop with force feeding, tubes bypass that possibility. Meal times actually became a bonding experience.

If you do go for a tube, offer food by mouth before each feeding. Most cats adapt very quickly to wearing a tube (surgical socks help keep them in place). The other thing that's really great about having the tube is that you can put certain meds and liver support supplements through them, avoiding the stress of pilling. This can also help speed up the liver's recovery.

Hopefully the latest blood work provides some answers for you.

the gang
November 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
:sorry: no tube on my end, brenda and the pins

rainbow
November 1st, 2010, 10:42 PM
Mmm, well I guess the whole idea is on the shelf at the moment. I just spoke to the vet. She wants to see Benni and do another blood workup to see if things have changed. I am taking her in tomorrow at 4. She then said a tube would not be done without an ultrasound and possible biopsy first. Funny it was her that mentioned it a few weeks ago though. :confused: I can't do all of that. It is just not feasible. So....... hopefully the blood work will show something. :fingerscr

Good luck tomorrow 14+ .....hopefully the blood work will shed some new light. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

I know you've probably read these websites but thought I'd post them just in case you haven't ......

http://www.assistfeed.com/WhatAreMyOptions.htm

http://www.lbah.com/liver.htm

Dog Dancer
November 1st, 2010, 11:01 PM
Aww, Gerri, I sure hope the vet's blood work shows what it needs to show. You know we are all pulling for Benni and praying for you that things work out for the best. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers tonight and tomorrow. :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
November 2nd, 2010, 03:33 AM
i am pretty sure i've read here that someone was doing it to her cat,maybe growler:shrug:

Nope wasn't me :shrug:

:goodvibes: for Benni's tests tomorrow

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
I have no advice to offer but just wanted to send :goodvibes: and :fingerscr for Benni's vet visit today and lots of :grouphug:s for you, 14+.

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
Lots and lots of :goodvibes: for Benni. I know for my previous boss, tube feeding was the life saver for her cat.

Tundra_Queen
November 2nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
14+ have u tried prednizone? When willie would not eat he was put on prednizone and before that he was given diazapam. The diazapam made him very hungry but also very wobbly,,,but he ate up a storm. Because I was scared of him being so wobbly we went to the prednizone and that helped tooI don't know how that would effect a cat with liver issues. :grouphug:

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the good wishes folks. I'm hoping there's some good news. I weighed her last night and she was at 7 pounds so maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. I was afraid I wasn't getting enough in to her.
Tundra - she's been on two courses of Pred. I really don't want her on more. It's not a great med for a continuous course. Really hard on the organs. I've been reading that sometimes with liver issues the course of antibiotics should be for six months. Benni was only on them for about a month. :shrug:

Tundra_Queen
November 2nd, 2010, 08:03 AM
14+ willie was on prednizone for five years...I finally got him weaned off it just a while ago. I didn't know it was that bad for him until I started reading things in here about it. I still have to watch him to make sure he doesn't stop eating though.

OOPS forgot this...maybe u could ask your vet about diazapam today for a couple of days so Benni could gain a bit more weight? Put him in a place where he couldn't hurt himeself? Just a thought. :grouphug:

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
14+ willie was on prednizone for five years...I finally got him weaned off it just a while ago. I didn't know it was that bad for him until I started reading things in here about it. I still have to watch him to make sure he doesn't stop eating though.

OOPS forgot this...maybe u could ask your vet about diazapam today for a couple of days so Benni could gain a bit more weight? Put him in a place where he couldn't hurt himeself? Just a thought. :grouphug:

Thanks TQ. :thumbs up We'll be doing lots of talking today. And umm, Benni's a girl. But I won't tell her you called her a boy. ;):laughing: Benni is after George Lopez's mom on his old show. You know, she was a real biatch. Benni on her good days is too. :D

chico2
November 2nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
growler,i knew it was one of our cat-gurus,either you or scm.

14+good luck with benni today,feeding-tube seems like a good idea,why all those expensive tests,like a biopsy before,would that be a liver-biopsy?
:grouphug::pray::goodvibes::fingerscr:cat:

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Well, the whole feeding tube may be unnecessary after all because SHE ATE TUNA!!! :D She did the normal turning her face away from the food and trying to bury the dish but I put a little of the broth on her lips. She seemed more interested then so I took some tuna and put it in front of her. She probably ate a good tablespoon or more! :thumbs up Now I'm praying she will move on to other foods too. :fingerscr

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Do you have a Global around? or a place you can find some Almo? They have a tuna and shrimp flavour and the advantage of Almo is no salt.

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Do you have a Global around? or a place you can find some Almo? They have a tuna and shrimp flavour and the advantage of Almo is no salt.

There is a Global not too far away from the vets if I remember correctly. And Pet Valu has BC which I understand is nutritionally complete now? So after the vets I will run in there and grab her some. I am just :pray: this keeps up. I just went out to the kitchen a few minutes ago and she was grooming herself. That's something she normally only does after she eats so maybe she ate a bit more.

Chris21711
November 2nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
:pray: 14k that finally Benni has overcome her phobia to eating and that she is on the road to recovery....hang in there m/f :grouphug:

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
There is a Global not too far away from the vets if I remember correctly. And Pet Valu has BC which I understand is nutritionally complete now? So after the vets I will run in there and grab her some. I am just :pray: this keeps up. I just went out to the kitchen a few minutes ago and she was grooming herself. That's something she normally only does after she eats so maybe she ate a bit more.

Yes, she perhaps needed her liver to heal enough so that enough toxins were being flushed from her system to regain an appetite. :pray:

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
There is another canned that my cats just love:

http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=155

It is GO, by peturcan. It is a fish flavour, but that may be what she loves. And this is nutritionally complete.

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
All fingers are crossed!!!

Dog Dancer
November 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
My toes are crossed too! Keep up the good work ladies.

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr :goodvibes::goodvibes:

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks ladies. As we "speak" she is eating more tuna. :cloud9::D I can only hope she will keep it up. Going to go get some food in a few minutes. That way if I'm late getting out of the vets I have it.

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
I am crying :cry:

More and more and more :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

The GO Trout flavour if you can get some at Global is lip smacking good to kitties.

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
I am crying :cry:

More and more and more :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

The GO Trout flavour if you can get some at Global is lip smacking good to kitties.

Me too. :D But happy tears.

rainbow
November 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
Zippety Do Dah !!!

Wowzers ......that is great news. :thumbs up

Sending lots of :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: that Benni has finally turned the corner. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

chico2
November 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
aww 14+ i am soo happy for you and benni,all your stress and hard work paid off,or benni just started to realize,if she does not eat,she'll never get out of there:cat:

sugarcatmom
November 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Go Benni, Go!!! (doing the happy-eating-dance over here). Try some canned salmon and sardines while you're at it.

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Food/eating-42.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Food-Smileys.html) http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Food/eating-36.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Food/eating-01.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Food-Smileys.html)

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2010, 05:56 PM
And the verdict is - blood work is wonderful except for slightly elevated calcium which could indicate cancer. I *think* it is supposed to be 10 or 11. Benni's is 12.1. The vet is not concerned. She said considering what the workup was the last time this is a major improvement. She said just keep doing what I am doing and bring her back in six months for more blood tests unless of course things change.
Benni was pretty worked up on the way home. I have never heard her rattle the bars on her carrier before. When I got her home and opened the doors she headed immediately to her hard food. I know, hard food. But at least it's food. She was hungry! I can't tell you how that makes me feel. :cloud9:

Now poor Orbit.... I took him along because I have UTIs going through the catuary. He is the worse with his breathing and not being able to eat. :( They hydrated him there. I am going to be doing it here for a few days too just to get him back to what he was. He is on a few doses of Metacam (only a few), Clavaseptin and Buprenorphine. She also sent me home with some extra Clavaseptin for the other kitties that are sick and five bags of food she had donated to her rescue. That will help out a bit. The cost of the visit, bloodwork and meds was $360. :eek: 'Course I would pay it again in a heartbeat for the good news today.

aslan
November 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
YAAAAY benni you go girl.....14+ i've been watching this thread and i'm soooooo happy Benni is starting to eat on her own..:thumbs up

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
YAY FOR BENNI.

What is up with all the elevated calcium lately :shrug: Puddles was at 3.26, normal 2-2.9. I don't know how that translates to your range :shrug:. When I changed her diet, it slowly went down.

Sending :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: for Orbit :grouphug:

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
I don't know L4. I thought maybe the salt in the tuna may have been enough to do it? :shrug: Hopefully when she is tested in six months it will be fine. :fingerscr
I forgot the important thing. Benni has actually gained an ounce. Here I thought she was losing and I wasnt' feeding her enough. Whew!!!

I got her some GO trout, some BC chicken, and a can of the Weruva tuna and shrimp (I think). They were out of the BC tuna :(. So far she has turned her nose up at the GO trout so I gave her a feeding. Of course she didn't eat much but I figure what she's eaten on her own today is great!! Let's hope she keeps it up now. :fingerscr

Koteburo
November 2nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
Awesome. I often remember Benni's case and wish her luck and to be well. Nice to hear :pray:

rainbow
November 3rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Woooo Hoooo Benni :thumbs up

You must be so relieved ....I hope she is soon eating completely on her own. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Now poor Orbit :( :grouphug: ....I hope the AB's work quickly to get rid of his UTI and the rest of the catty cats. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
How is Benni doing this morning?

Chris21711
November 3rd, 2010, 08:48 AM
How is Benni doing this morning?

14k shouldn't be on the comp this morning L4H....she should be getting ready to come to my place :crazy:

Sylvie
November 3rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
14+ I am so happy for Benni and for you.

I remember the stress and worry trying to get Briar to eat. It is nice to hear good news.

I know you won't read this till you get back, hope you remembered your camera.

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
14k shouldn't be on the comp this morning L4H....she should be getting ready to come to my place :crazy:

But I gotta know :yell: :frustrated:. OK then a quick update when she gets to your place :o, patience is not a virtue I have :p :laughing:

rainbow
November 3rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
:pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Benni :grouphug:

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
14+, I'm so happy to read Benni has decided to eat! :thumbs upI was going to write also that Meow had been using a tube for Simba for quite some time. I know she's on Facebook often so if you have a chance, maybe just email her there.

As for the tuna, I now and then buy my gang the Bumble Bee w/olive oil as a treat. I don't know if they sell that there, but maybe that would be another alternative if she gets tired of the regular stuff in water. :shrug:

14+kitties
November 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM
LOL Sorry L4. :o Benni would not touch the BC chicken or the Weruva Tuna and Shrimp. I opened another can of plain tuna in water and she ate about the same as yesterday. PV was out of the BC tuna when I went down. I'm hoping it's back by the weekend. Funny thing is she seems to want me standing close to her when she's eating. I guess not so funny when you think for the last two plus months I've been force feeding her.
Chris sent me home with a can of Instincts rabbit. I will try her with it tomorrow. :fingerscr

Sylvie - my batteries are just about done. They are the rechargeable ones but they don't hold a charge much anymore. I have to get new ones when I remember. :rolleyes: kr took tons of pics though. :D

Just want to say thanks a ton for the continued support. It means a lot to me. :grouphug::grouphug:

Love4himies
November 4th, 2010, 06:50 AM
You know, Jasper wants me to sit or stand beside him when he eats :shrug:

That's too bad, she didn't eat :frustrated:, maybe she was waiting for you to feed her :laughing:. Did you try putting the food on a spoon?

I do think she is on her way to recovery, it is just going to take some time. :grouphug: :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

chico2
November 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
14+That's what I did with Rocky,let him lick the food off a soup-spoon,maybe that would be easier for Benni too:shrug:

14+kitties
November 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Y Did you try putting the food on a spoon?

14+That's what I did with Rocky,let him lick the food off a soup-spoon,maybe that would be easier for Benni too:shrug:

Been there. She turns her head.:rolleyes:

I opened the rabbit Chris sent me home with yesterday. No luck. Not even the juice. Sooo, we're back to tuna. I always leave another food in with her hoping one time she'll try it. Always the tuna. But she's still eating it so I guess that's what she eats. I hope PV had the BC tuna in now.

Love4himies
November 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Been there. She turns her head.:rolleyes:

I opened the rabbit Chris sent me home with yesterday. No luck. Not even the juice. Sooo, we're back to tuna. I always leave another food in with her hoping one time she'll try it. Always the tuna. But she's still eating it so I guess that's what she eats. I hope PV had the BC tuna in now.

You could try the NOW Trout flavour? I'll try to remember to pass on some Almo tuna and shrimp to who ever I am dropping off Heidi to and perhaps somebody can get the food to you :shrug:. But I am old and the memory just isn't what it used to be :o. I'll put in some NOW also.

Love4himies
November 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM
My cats didn't really like the Rabbit either, but since I started putting half raw in it they will eat it :shrug:.

BenMax
November 4th, 2010, 11:36 AM
How about stinky sardines in a can?:shrug:

14+kitties
November 4th, 2010, 11:37 AM
You could try the NOW Trout flavour? I'll try to remember to pass on some Almo tuna and shrimp to who ever I am dropping off Heidi to and perhaps somebody can get the food to you :shrug:. But I am old and the memory just isn't what it used to be :o. I'll put in some NOW also.

I have tried the NOW Trout. It is one of the now 8 partially eaten cans in my fridge. :rolleyes: No go. I will be using them for the other kitties or blending them up to force feed her. I have found a better way of doing it so it's not as stressful on her or me. I put her in her basket and just hold her head up gently to feed her. She seems to accept that better than being wrapped in a blanket. Go figure. :laughing:

14+kitties
November 4th, 2010, 11:38 AM
How about stinky sardines in a can?:shrug:

She hates stinky sardines. Not too crazy about salmon either. This girl is very picky. Very picky. Good thing I love her. :cloud9:

Dog Dancer
November 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Well tuna is better than nothing right! I hope she keeps snacking on the tuna 14+. It's good that she's willing to let you feed her without wrapping her, I think that's a positive sign really. Keep up the good work with her, it will pay off. :grouphug:

krdahmer
November 4th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Ah carp...i didn't think of bringin you some almo tuna from Global...even when palomine is being finicky he'll eat that and it's a smaller can than the people stuff, there is a tuna and cheese flavour too that I get when he's off his food.

Oh and I soooooo loved getting to snuggle Benni yesturday....such a treat! :cloud9:

loopoo
November 4th, 2010, 02:45 PM
glad to hear she is starting to eat on her own :) just a thought what about mixing the tuna with another fish flavor canned? start off with 3/4 tuna, 1/4 new, then to 1/2 / 1/2 after a couple days if she is eating all and so on till you are on the new food total?

Tundra_Queen
November 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks TQ. :thumbs up We'll be doing lots of talking today. And umm, Benni's a girl. But I won't tell her you called her a boy. ;):laughing: Benni is after George Lopez's mom on his old show. You know, she was a real biatch. Benni on her good days is too. :D

OOps sorry Miss Benni...my apologies. :o

Well, the whole feeding tube may be unnecessary after all because SHE ATE TUNA!!! :D She did the normal turning her face away from the food and trying to bury the dish but I put a little of the broth on her lips. She seemed more interested then so I took some tuna and put it in front of her. She probably ate a good tablespoon or more! :thumbs up Now I'm praying she will move on to other foods too. :fingerscr

YEAHHHHHHHH Benni!! *doing the happy dance*

14+ Willie likes it when i'm with him when he eats, so does Mindy. :)

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Glad to hear she's eating, 14+! :thumbs up Good job, Benni...now you gotta work on variety! :D

luckypenny
November 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I'm hoping Benni's appetite increases soon, 14+. Is she still eating a little dry food at least?

beckiandthetrio
November 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hi 14-

I hope Benni is still doing well and eating on her own. I just wanted to add :2cents: though.

About 1yr ago my cat Janie decieded not to eat. She lost 2lbs in a pretty short amount of time. I tried force feeding her but she and I hated it!! Plus she wasn't gaining at all and only maintaining. Sooo, after many vet visits and lab work it was discovered she was in liver failure also, likely because of the not eating and developing fatty liver disease. I then made the choice to have a feeding tube placed. BEST CHOICE EVER!!! Im sooo glad SCM suggested it as well as my vet. It made life soo much easier for both her and I. I gave all her meds down it and the whole process took maybe 5-10mins. After about 6weeks one day I tried not feeding her and she started eating on her own and has since. She also gained all her weight back.

If you end up in that situation I would go with the tube for sure. Plus, its not really that expensive in the grand scheme of things too.

Becki

rainbow
November 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
How are things going with Bennie today? :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Magicwildwolf69
November 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM
14+ so glad to hear she ate!!! Hope she will keep eating on her own or letting you feed her the easy way. You are in my thoughts lots with all your little kitties! hang in there! :grouphug::grouphug:

14+kitties
November 5th, 2010, 11:01 PM
LP - Benni still eats some treats and a small amount of dry every day. At least she is maintaining weight now.
Becki - Thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate it. :grouphug: I am very glad Janie started eating for you. I'm hoping soon Benni decides she needs more than just tuna. It's been a very long haul but I'd do it again.
rainbow - She has eaten almost a whole can of tuna today! I am still giving her other foods as well but she is still turning her nose up at them all. Stubborn girl!
MWW - Thank you my friend. :grouphug:

I am just very glad her blood work came back so much more improved. Of course I am keeping an eagle eye on her. She is getting a lot more exercise too. She still hates all other cats but loves to spend time with me walking around the house. When I pick her up she gives me little kisses on the cheek. Oh, I forgot. She shared a little bit of pear with me today too. I figured it wouldn't hurt.
Thanks for everyones' continued prayers. I believe they are helping. :grouphug:

Love4himies
November 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I am so glad that Benni is eating something on her own. That is HUGE progress. Can you mix a wee bit of cat food in her tuna and slowly increase the amount of cat food?

chico2
November 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I think Benni is fooling you,she loves all the attention and tuna(just kidding):cat:
Good news on the bloodwork:thumbs up
With such a truly dedicated mom I am sure little Benni will eventually be ok:pray:

14+kitties
November 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
L4 - Just wanted to say a huge thank you again for sending food along for Benni. I really appreciate it! I will try her with it with her next feeding. I tried mixing a very tiny amount (around 1/4 of a tsp) of food in with her tuna the other day. She refused to touch the tuna. :rolleyes:

Love4himies
November 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
You are welcome. Hopefully she will eat some of the Almo. It is not nutritionally complete though.

14+kitties
November 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM
:frustrated: Almo tuna and shrimp - nope!! Can you say stubborn? I am leaving it with her. Hopefully she will eat some later.:fingerscr

Love4himies
November 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM
But it is just tuna with a few shrimp in it :shrug:, no salt though :shrug:, could it be the salt?

14+kitties
November 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM
But it is just tuna with a few shrimp in it :shrug:, no salt though :shrug:, could it be the salt?

I have wondered if it's the salt myself. I hope not. I'm beginning to think she has kidney issues too. She pees a lot and I am not SQing her. The vet told me to stop because she was afraid her kidneys would get flushed out. But nothing showed up in the blood work. :shrug:
I'm not giving up. Will keep on trying. She has to eat something sometime.

Love4himies
November 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I have wondered if it's the salt myself. I hope not. I'm beginning to think she has kidney issues too. She pees a lot and I am not SQing her. The vet told me to stop because she was afraid her kidneys would get flushed out. But nothing showed up in the blood work. :shrug:
I'm not giving up. Will keep on trying. She has to eat something sometime.

You would think, but now that I have witnessed Sweet Pea not eating, I know how easily cats can get turned off food :shrug:.

Puddles prefers her tuna with sodium, but will now eat the Almo.

rainbow
November 8th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Benni, stop being so stubborn. :yell:

Magicwildwolf69
November 9th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Come on benni you gotta eat!!!! :grouphug::grouphug:

14+kitties
November 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Benni's eating BC Chicken!!!! Yay!!! I have tried every single food I could buy for her. BC chicken she's turned her nose up I don't know how many times. I finally left some of it in her crate with her and her bowl of tuna. The tuna was gone when I got home from work and I didn't fill it up right away. I just went out to the kitchen again to put cat food away and clean and she was eating the chicken!!! Whew!! This has been a long haul. I hope this is the start of a turn around. :fingerscr

Love4himies
November 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM
WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, what a long haul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Now I just want to shake that girl for giving us such a scare :yell:, but really it would turn into just a huge hug and kiss :cloud9:

14+kitties
November 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Now I just want to shake that girl for giving us such a scare :yell:, but really it would turn into just a huge hug and kiss :cloud9:

You and me both!! Actually I waited for her to eat what she wanted and I did give her a hug. :D Now we just have to wait to see if she stays eating.

Tundra_Queen
November 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM
LP - Benni still eats some treats and a small amount of dry every day. At least she is maintaining weight now.
Becki - Thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate it. :grouphug: I am very glad Janie started eating for you. I'm hoping soon Benni decides she needs more than just tuna. It's been a very long haul but I'd do it again.
rainbow - She has eaten almost a whole can of tuna today! I am still giving her other foods as well but she is still turning her nose up at them all. Stubborn girl!
MWW - Thank you my friend. :grouphug:

I am just very glad her blood work came back so much more improved. Of course I am keeping an eagle eye on her. She is getting a lot more exercise too. She still hates all other cats but loves to spend time with me walking around the house. When I pick her up she gives me little kisses on the cheek. Oh, I forgot. She shared a little bit of pear with me today too. I figured it wouldn't hurt.
Thanks for everyones' continued prayers. I believe they are helping. :grouphug:

Are u concern that with her eating all the tuna she is, that she might become addicted to tuna? I know your just giving her the tuna cause she will eat that,,,but I didn't know if u knew about the problem with some cats, that they become addicted to tuna.

Debbie

chico2
November 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM
TQ,I am sure 14+knows that.like we all do,but Benni ate chicken,which is great news:thumbs up and :pray:that she continues:fingerscr

14+kitties
November 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Are u concern that with her eating all the tuna she is, that she might become addicted to tuna? I know your just giving her the tuna cause she will eat that,,,but I didn't know if u knew about the problem with some cats, that they become addicted to tuna.
Debbie

No TQ. I am concerned about only tuna because there is no taurine in it and way too much salt. She wouldn't touch the tuna for cats. It had to be human grade. That means salt added unfortunately. I wanted something a little more nutritionally complete and she wouldn't touch raw either. :shrug:

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Yay! I'm so glad she's finally eating.

Chris21711
November 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Great news 14k :thumbs up