Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pregnant bulldog question

emmababy
November 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hi Im new to this board and was hoping that someone could give me some idea here on my dog.....

she is a french bulldog and we breed her on sept 2nd so if she were pregnant she would be on day 60 today the thing is she dosent look pregnant at all other then her teats are bigger but no milk that we can see and the back ones are the only ones that seem like theres a small pouch under them her stomache isent any bigger really but when the vet felt her stomache roughly 1 1/2 weeks ago she couldnt feel anything in her belly but said she felt 2 or 3 things that felt like possable puppies she was 90% sure has anyone gone through this with a dog that didnt apear to look pregnant but was?

also i took her temp yesterday it was 98.7 then this morning early it was 100.4 and i checked it again just recently and its 98.4 so im really confused and shes still eating and drinking but for the last 4 weeks it seems shes being picky and not wanting to eat her own food unless i mix it with wet food then she only eats the wet stuff and leaves her she never was like that before

Love4himies
November 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43483

Signs of pregnancy in cats and dogs
To all newcomers - Welcome.

Most members on this forum are VERY pro spay/neuter and are against backyard breeding, and as one of the ADMINS I always like members to encourage spaying or neutering in a diplomatic way.

We also try to encourage others NOT to put 2 dogs or cats together just to have some cute kittens or puppies because straight up, THOUSANDS of these types of kittens/puppies or the children of these puppies and kittens end up in shelters where they are euthanized (killed). This practise is called BYB (backyard breeding). Shelters all across Canada and the USA are filled to capacity and animals are euthanized to make room for new animals that come in every day.

Spay/neuter is crucial because there are way too many puppies, dogs, cats and kittens and NOT enough homes for them. Not spaying/neutering your family pet, or deliberately breeding your pet for fun adds EXPONENTIALLY to this already horrible situation. Thousands and thousands of pets are euthanized (put to sleep) each year because they are unwanted. Spay/neuter PREVENTS the accidents which happen all the time. Some members on our forum might not share the point of view in the above paragraphs and that's okay. We just wanted to let you know where the majority of active members stand on this issue and hope you will join us to try to help the global pet overpopulation problem by spaying/neutering your pet.

Spaying/Neutering has other benefits besides unwanted or accidental pregnancy that happens all the time. Marking behaviour (spraying urine indoors and outdoors to 'claim' a territory) roaming behaviour and aggressive behaviours are normally reduced with spaying/neutering. Pyometra in females and testicular cancer in males are eliminated or greatly reduced when pets are spayed/neutered.

Despite our best efforts though - mistakes do happen and here is a list of 3 articles that members or guests can refer to, when other members ask for pregnancy signs in dogs or cats.

Signs of dog pregnancy
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogpregnant.htm

Pregnancy signs in cats
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-expecting.htm
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-catbirth.htm

Thanks everyone,

Marko
ADMIN

emmababy
November 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hello thank you for getting back to me I know alot of people are agaist this but we didnt breed them to have puppies to sell we wanted another puppy for our daughter and we love our dog so much we thought it would be nice to have one of her puppies to keep and the breeder we went with is keeping the other we figured she would only have 2 or three at most so it was not for the purpose of making money which i know alot of people do it for that reason i just posted on here in hopes that someone could answer us about what shes going through and to let us know if they have gone throug this before

Masha
November 1st, 2010, 01:50 PM
You mentioned that you are dealing with a breeder on this. In this case, I urge you to contact your breeder with such questions. A breeder should have the answer to such a question.

emmababy
November 1st, 2010, 01:54 PM
we have tried getting in tough with her but cant seem to and with it being 60 days now were a bit concerned cause we already know she will need a c section and the vet wasent even 100% sure she was pregnant

Marty11
November 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Bulldog breeds have complications delivering so please keep in touch with breeder and vet when the time is close.

rainbow
November 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Yes, a reputable breeder would know .....otherwise take your dog back to your vet in case there is a problem. If there is then you would not want to breed her and then could have the puppies aborted and her spayed at the same time.

14+kitties
November 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM
If you are not sure the dog is even pregnant would it not be a good idea to take her to your vet and have her xrayed? :confused: That will answer your question once and for all. Your vet and your breeder are the ones you need to speak to. The sooner the better if you feel something is wrong IMO. Especially when you are dealing with a breed you already know needs a C section.

Dog Dancer
November 1st, 2010, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the Board. I would suggest that you take your dog back to the vet and ask them to do an ultra sound. I'm just guessing, I've never had a pregnant dog, but would not an ultra sound tell you for sure if the dog is pregnant? If your vet can't tell you I would suggest a different vet. As you already know Bulldogs have very specific pregnancy issues. We on this board will probably not be able to help you with these issues. If you can't reach your breeder you need to see your vet. Good luck to you, and once you've got your puppies please consider spaying and neutering them all.

Love4himies
November 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM
Yes, a reputable breeder would know .....otherwise take your dog back to your vet in case there is a problem. If there is then you would not want to breed her and then could have the puppies aborted and her spayed at the same time.

Good suggestion :thumbs up

Please take your pup to the vet, her life could be in danger should birthing (is it birthing or whelping???) go wrong :(.

emmababy
November 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM
thank you all for your replies i appreciate them we know she will need a c section we were told that right from the beginning so we have the money put aside for that all we really wanted to know is if anyone here has the same breed of dog and if so if they ever experienced the same thing where she appeared to not look pregnant but really was we already talked to the vet about the c section and she said just bring her in if she goes into labor right away so we know the things to watch for

Love4himies
November 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
thank you all for your replies i appreciate them we know she will need a c section we were told that right from the beginning so we have the money put aside for that all we really wanted to know is if anyone here has the same breed of dog and if so if they ever experienced the same thing where she appeared to not look pregnant but really was we already talked to the vet about the c section and she said just bring her in if she goes into labor right away so we know the things to watch for

I think what we are trying to tell you is that MOST members don't have experience with breeding (this is a pro spay/neuter forum), they are rescuers of all those unwanted dogs/pups, and, that you should be consulting with your vet.

aslan
November 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
emmababy as stated in Love4's first response,,this is a pro spay/neuter forum and we really can't help you out. If your vet can't tell if your female is pregnant i'd be finding another vet quickly. Please consider having your female fixed after all of this and if you don't i would highly suggest you NOT deal with this breeder again.

rainbow
November 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM
emmababy as stated in Love4's first response,,this is a pro spay/neuter forum and we really can't help you out. If your vet can't tell if your female is pregnant i'd be finding another vet quickly. Please consider having your female fixed after all of this and if you don't i would highly suggest you NOT deal with this breeder again.

I agree, especially since you cannot get in touch with her now even though you mentioned the breeder would be keeping one of the pups and obviously would know when they would be due to arrive.

marko
November 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM
Everyone has given really good advice here :goodvibes:
Your dog needs to be seen by a live veterinarian.

Good luck and please do consider spaying/neutering once this is over.