Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scully not feeling whell... Again :'(

Koteburo
October 30th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Today morning she vomited looked like a little sausage with hairs and some bile, from there again lethargic and hiding looking for places where the heater blows air from around the place. This time I didn't wait to be trapped on Sunday with a cat health problem so we went to her vet.

She's been tested for

Kidney disease
Liver disease
FIV
Feline Leukemia

Today she had blood work for those 2 and I was so worried but both negative.
Vet still didn't take X-Rays because the vomiting is not frequent, nothing can be felt, she's not constipated. He did check inside her mouth and down for the possibility of a thread stuck in there, he found nothing.

One a kitten of mine eat half of a toy rubber snake yes... Crazy! And he made it perfectly good in the end, he got rid of most himself even but my point is I know how it is when they eat some object.
He said that if by Monday no improvement we will have to get X-Rays either way.

She is nauseous, she's sleepy and loses appetite but is none of the above
It's leading me to think is some sort of food intolerance or IBD of the upper part (because there is no diarrhea), gastritis, something of that sort which makes her nauseous and prone to catch bacteria due to tissue being swollen.

She got a shot for nausea and vomiting and this time antibiotics but oral so I'll have to give it to her.
I feel tired, waiting for those results was scary

This is puzzling :shrug:

catlover2
October 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
If it's some kind of gastric problem, apparently raising the food dish to just below head level is helpful. You might try that and see if there's any improvement. Hope you find out what's wrong with Scully soon. All the best. :pray:

Koteburo
October 30th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I tried tonight but she's not feeling good at all so all she does when I offer food is she starts smacking her lips but she won't touch the food.
I'll try tomorrow and see I'll offer the food just below the head again.
Thanks

growler~GateKeeper
October 31st, 2010, 02:16 AM
I wonder if she's having a reaction against the food transition? There may be an ingredient in the Wellness that she can't handle. :shrug:

If you still have a couple of cans of the Friskies try offering that for a couple of days. If you get positive results, try a new brand/flavour of food, for example Evo 95% Venison (http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1665)

:goodvibes:

Myka
October 31st, 2010, 02:54 AM
Aw, poor Scully! :wall:

It does seem like a food intolerance of some sort doesn't it? Could you try a simple home-made diet of a single protein source...say boiled chicken or turkey or duck or even rabbit? You can put it in the blender with the water used to boil it to get a pate type food. Feed her only that meat, nothing else for a week. No oils, vitamins, medication, anything. That could really help to pinpoint any sort of food reaction, but probably wouldn't pinpoint foreign ingestion, IBD or some other disease. Worth a try?

Love4himies
October 31st, 2010, 06:15 AM
The little sausage with hairs sounds like a fur ball to me :shrug: or was it food? I would do the xray, my vet can see furballs/food in the gut when he does xrays on Sweet Pea and Puddles.

Nature's Variety Instinct has Rabbit or Duck flavour if you want to try a novelty meat and doesn't have potato in it, which can cause issues with cats.

Your cat has very specific anino acid needs and if you do try fresh meat, it should be raw or slightly cooked and very raw inside. Cooking destroys some of the amino acids and vitamins.

Koteburo
October 31st, 2010, 08:46 AM
Vet said the little sausage was a furball too. She slept with me, got up like 10 before 7AM and sat on the floor so we went to the kitchen and I offered the old Friskies chicken flavor and she didn't reject it, she ate a bit, not much, like 1/8 of the can but better than nothing, I was getting ready to force feed her later but this is way better than that. Hopefully she'll want another tiny bit later.
I will definitely try the chicken or duck pure, no rice, no potato just pure and see if it's a food intolerance.
I remember she liked the evo flavours so I might try it. I'll decide today. When I clicked on the link I liked this "High digestibility and decreased waste"
I think I have to prevent the vomiting because she always starts feeling bad after she throws up which is not everyday but seems to come with bad effects for her.

sugarcatmom
October 31st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Slippery elm bark can help with hairball and vomiting issues (it's also soothing to the throat).

If you don't feel like going through the whole process of cooking and blending some meat, you can buy some plain meat baby food. Beechnut is a good brand and is available at Superstore. You can get Heinz at Safeway.

Myka
October 31st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Well, a fur ball is a lot less distressing than your worries! That is good news. :D

Your cat has very specific anino acid needs and if you do try fresh meat, it should be raw or slightly cooked and very raw inside. Cooking destroys some of the amino acids and vitamins.

Aren't all canned cat foods cooked?

Love4himies
October 31st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Well, a fur ball is a lot less distressing than your worries! That is good news. :D

Aren't all canned cat foods cooked?

Yes, but they add the amino acids (vitamin pill) after the cooking process.

Myka
October 31st, 2010, 04:13 PM
Yes, but they add the amino acids (vitamin pill) after the cooking process.

Amino acids breakdown when exposed to air/heat/light within several hours though.

Love4himies
October 31st, 2010, 04:39 PM
Amino acids breakdown when exposed to air/heat/light within several hours though.

Yes absolutely.

http://www.vetlord.org/taurine-is-essential-for-cats/

Taurine gets destroyed at about 120 degrees F, it is an essential amino acid.

Cats have the highest requirement for B vitamins per body weight than any other animal and some B vitamins get destroyed with cooking.

A can can only exist on a cooked diet of the B vitamins and taurine are replaced by chemical additives after cooking. Vitamin A I think is fairly stable with cooking, but I am not sure about that one.

Myka
October 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM
I will be the first to admit that I am not a cat expert, but I am trying to learn mostly just as a hobby since I haven't owned a cat in about 8 years. So if someone fed a cooked diet exclusively with nothing added where you want to determine something specific like in the case of Scully, how long would it take for the lack of Taurine and B vitamins to be detrimental? Surely a week is not long enough...? In the case of these essential nutrients, both of these could easily be bought and sprinkled on top of the food in the correct proportions.

Koteburo
October 31st, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi :)

I was reading all your posts. Well we tried and for now she is on BABY FOOD, she wont be permanent on that of course but she accepted it, she ate half the jar (the small standard ones, not the longer ones) it's plain chicken with chicken broth, no vegetables, no nothing, no onions and she eats it.
She's better than yesterday but still not back to her own self.
I went to a store to get the EVO 95% Venison but i couldn't find it :wall: that's why of the options available I took baby food.
Myka made a very good point about how long can we go on this without being detrimental to her nutritional needs.
I think for now it's all right for her stomach to settle once again.
Thanks to Love4Himies for that link with the proportions needed in taurine.
I might try for now maybe whiskas milk for cats. It contains taurine. What do you think? I don't want to make a mistake on this. I know is lactose free while she's on her baby food diet.

Today it was close to impossible to administrate the antibiotic. My husband and me wrapped her in a towel, she became a bit of a mad cat, we kept failing and she kept spitting the little pill back, and that just made it worse cuz all the bitterness was in her little mouth. In the end she returned a mini piece and I decided to stop it was so bad for her, too rough.

After the antibiotic episode she went to hide under the couch for like 2 hours then I carried her gently to her bowl with baby food, fed her in little portions and she ate. Then again she went under my bed and she won't come out. But I think it's because of what happened, she's probably scared to be forced again. :(

I think we're doing a bit of detective job here. And your opinions and suggestions help a lot. We might be able to get on the right track here.

I myself have questioned if I'm just acting like a crazy person and thinking she's sick but there's the lack of activity, lethargy and the worst lack of appetite, a bit of fever and a slight higher count on her white cells.

Thanks a lot for your help and concern.
I'll be in touch to inform tomorrow morning :lovestruck:

Myka
October 31st, 2010, 09:25 PM
I myself have questioned if I'm just acting like a crazy person and thinking she's sick but there's the lack of activity, lethargy and the worst lack of appetite, a bit of fever and a slight higher count on her white cells.

That sounds like plenty enough to be concerned to me!

catlover2
October 31st, 2010, 11:10 PM
Just wondering if your vet considered Scully might have pancreatitis? Vomiting, loss of weight, lethargy can be symptoms.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=334

Koteburo
November 1st, 2010, 01:41 AM
You know, funny thing is no weight loss. (also a good thing) or at least there hasn't been any weight lost so far.
She maintains a stable weight because the lack of appetite is not permanent but only lasts certain amount of days. But if this doesn't change then I guess more tests or urine and a more extensive blood analysis.

Love4himies
November 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM
What is she on antibiotics for, is it because her white blood cell count is high?

Clavamox comes in a liquid, which is much easier to administer to a cat than a pill.

When an animal is sick, it really is of utmost importance for the body to as much of it's vitamins as it should, for cats under stress, Vitamin B is really important. Also, the more you stress your cat, the more it will get turned off and go into hiding.

You can try getting a can of multiple flavours from different manufacturers to see what Scully will eat. It is quite possible her appetite is just not very high :shrug:. If she is like Puddles, she will go off her food for a bit before a furball and sometimes it takes up to a week to get a furball out.

Did you look for some Almo Nature? http://www.almonature.eu/pages/en_GB/

Koteburo
November 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM
What is she on antibiotics for, is it because her white blood cell count is high?

Clavamox comes in a liquid, which is much easier to administer to a cat than a pill.

When an animal is sick, it really is of utmost importance for the body to as much of it's vitamins as it should, for cats under stress, Vitamin B is really important. Also, the more you stress your cat, the more it will get turned off and go into hiding.

You can try getting a can of multiple flavours from different manufacturers to see what Scully will eat. It is quite possible her appetite is just not very high :shrug:. If she is like Puddles, she will go off her food for a bit before a furball and sometimes it takes up to a week to get a furball out.

Did you look for some Almo Nature? http://www.almonature.eu/pages/en_GB/

This really left me thinking.
She always seems to feel bad when there's a furball involved, and she's normally not the hungriest cat. She's like one of those people that don't like food too much (I wish I was like that :p ) After the antibiotic failure she continues to recover without it. I got the Evo 95% today and she seemed to like it better than other foods so far. She ate in a moderate amount, she had a little vomiting reflex like 5 minutes after but it lasted like a second and she didn't puke.
She's better than yesterday and better than a day before yesterday.
In her case she throws up the furball then she feels sick for some days but after and her appetite is not very high normally. Why the nausea tho?

We moved in the end of September, we rescued Luna (a lost kitty I found who was returned to her owners) and we got Mulder. Could all these events be related? Plus she's always been pukey.

Koteburo
November 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Today she vomited another furball but this time no signs of feeling bad and hopefully it'll stay that way :pray:
This makes me want to post about how often in average would furballs be expelled in cats. I know depends on the cat, some just eliminate the fur when they poop.
I've had cats all my life and I've never seen so many furballs in a short period of time like Scully.
I have a theory, at some point there was too much fur in her digestive system, not causing blockage but enough to make her feel ill and cause lack of appetite, I think I'm going to change my brush I probably left an overload of lose fur and she ingested it all.

On a side note she loves Evo 95% I don't think I've ever seen her eating so happily and eagerly.

Any thoughts on this?

:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: Come on Scully keep feeling good so we can solve this X-File.

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
You are right, every cat is different and I think it depends on the amount of shedding and grooming the cat does.

It took Puddles two fur balls last time to start feeling well, which is about a week. This happens to her about twice a year.

Koteburo
November 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
You are right, every cat is different and I think it depends on the amount of shedding and grooming the cat does.

It took Puddles two fur balls last time to start feeling well, which is about a week. This happens to her about twice a year.

3 furballs here and hopefully we'll be all right now:pray:

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
How is she doing today, Koteburo? :goodvibes:

Koteburo
November 5th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Perfect! Haven't seen her so happy in a while. She eats more than usual even. She plays more, she moves more, randomly I hear a meow from the living room and it's her wanting some snack.
Before all this started she wasn't too thrilled about her food anymore but now she's doing so good. And the positive thing about this experience is that I finally found a food she likes a lot.

Thanks for asking hazel :cloud9:

I really hope my girl continues to do so well as now. She's like renewed:lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
November 5th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Glad to hear she's doing well :highfive:

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Yay!!! :highfive: