Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The great adventure

Tundra_Queen
October 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Had some excietement here thru the night. Tegan and I went downstairs to get some stuff and normally she sits at the cellar door and waits for me to do my thing. But this time she got up really fast and ran over to me. Very strange for her. I asked her what was wrong and she looked worried, she wanted to be with Mommy. O'shawnnessey was waiting for us at the bottom of the stairs,,I have a board across the basement door so the cats can't get into the basement too much crap down there.

OS didn't want to come upstairs with us. Another strange thing. I thought maybe he had rolled a toy around the board and wanted to get it.

I went upstairs into the kitchen and Darby was by the patio door staring at a cabinet that has dishes and such in it...she's just sitting there staring and she does a little noise like she does when she watches the birds. Mirabelle is at the side of the cabinet trying to get to the back...OS is on the other side trying to get to the back. I figured a mouse...there has to be a mouse or maybe a toy they want,,,though I've never seen them do all this for a toy. So I pull the cabinet out a bit so they can get behind it. I put a stick under it too, but I didn't hear a squeak, no movement just cat toys under neath. LOL
Tegan is also laying beisde this cabinet trying to sleep and willie is also watching the front of the cabinet. I go back to the computer and then Tegan comes running into see me. I go check it out again and all of a sudden the cats start chasing something under the kitchen table. I thought I saw something like a mouse,,,but it didn't seem to be moving so I thought it was just a stuff mouse and they were just on one of their nutty sprees. Darby was going crazy....her and Mirabelle were playing hockey under the legs of the table passing this toy back and forth. I thought...YEAHHHHH Darby is really learning how to play with Mirabelle...that is great! Then OS went behind the piano and Mirabelle joined him. I figured the girls knocked the toy behind the piano and it got stuck. Darby and Willie were at the front of the piano trying to get at it from there.

By this time I figure it has to be a real mouse they can't be going this nutty for just a toy and seeing as I didn't want to have another mouse run across my feet I went and hid in the livingroom,, hoping that was I mistaken.

I checked back a few minutes later and there was a poor little tiny mouse dead on the floor. *sigh* I picked it up and put it outside just in case it just fainted and it would wake up soon. I just didn't want it waking up in the house.

So I found out that my 75lb yellow lab is a scared of meeces...but my herd of kitties can keep mommy safe! Now I'm just thinkin how many more are lurking down in the basement waiting to come upstairs. I have taken the wood board down so they can get into the basement. LOL

I guess when we had the downpour the other night the mouse came in thru the foundation. I know the spot I think they come in and that is where Tegan was sitting when we were down in the basement.

So that was the adventures in this house during the night. And I hope there are no more critters like that in the house.

Debbie

Melinda
October 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM
its the time of year for mice to try to get in, we had one a few weeks ago, figure it came in the door Brina opens when she wants in, I woke up at 2 am to a loud crunching, little mouser was helping himself to brina's food outside our bedroom door. Oh and of course Brina was laying there with her tail just awagging!! Figured it was another rescue for her to protect, we had to drag her away and lock her in another room while we cornered her new friend in a wastebasket .....cute sight seeing hubby walk out in his undies to toss it in the field *L*.

Can you seal the spot with expanding foam where the mouse came in? for some reason, mice will not chew through that stuff.

Love4himies
October 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
:eek: You can always tell something is up by the way the furry ones are acting.

Poor little mousie :candle:

We had one in our bedroom last Sunday night. Jasper work us up trying to get it.

Tundra_Queen
October 30th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Melinda, yes I guess I could spray some of that foam in the crack, it's big enough. I was actually going to get some hydraulic cement because when it really pours a bit of water comes thru there. Our first crooked contractors didn't do things right...but that's another long story. I will have to put that on son's to do list. *S*

Since the cats found the mouse I keep thinking I'm hearing noises coming from the kitchen......:laughing: I hope it's just my imagination. I keep getting up and checking but when I go in there the noise stops.

L4H, that little mouse was so cute and so tiny. I'm wondering if there are more in the basement. The last time we had mice in the house was before we got OS and Mirabelle and Willie killed 4 of them. That was about 5 years ago I guess. That was the time he wanted to show Mommy how good he did and brought it into the living room and then let it go and it ran over my foot!! :eek: It was the first time I jumped up on the couch and squealed and acted like a real girl! :laughing: I kept telling him to get it and stop letting it go. Mommy didn't like that! LOL

luckypenny
October 30th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Poor Tegan :(. Don't worry sweetheart, the kitties will protect you from the evil mice.

Funny, I think mice are adorable too....I'd much rather admire them from afar though...couldn't handle seeing one in the house :yuck:.

Melinda
October 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
when the need arises here we use these grey live traps, there is a ramp looking thing inside and when the mouse goes in it closes, it will hold up to 4 mice (we know from experience) we used them in the sun room ceiling (drop ceiling) last fall till we got it all sealed up, you can put them against a wall (what they reccommend) then you just slide the top off and toss out the mouse, they say you should do this at least 500 feet from the house, hubs would cross the road and let them out in the bush.

chico2
October 30th, 2010, 05:06 PM
we had mice in my kitchen-cupboards a couple of years ago.
i noticed because something had been chewing on my potatoes and one night i was watching tv,the cats were going crazy and all 3 were after this little guy.
i opened the patiodoor and he took off.
usually if there is one there is more..we put humane traps i
n the cupboard,but we never caught any mice.

we figured out,they had chewed through the sealant where the a/c hose goes
in to the house,we to used the foam-stuff and it's still there.
they are awfully cute with their white little feet,but they are cutest outside :laughing:

Chris21711
October 30th, 2010, 06:42 PM
You're afraid of mice TQ.......:laughing:

rainbow
October 30th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Call Frenchy ....she'll get rid of them for you. :evil:

Tundra_Queen
October 31st, 2010, 04:20 AM
I like mice actually EXCEPT when they are in the house and run across my foot! I think they are very cute except in the house. I was blaming the cats for chewing a hole in a bag in the family room and I guess it was the mouse.

chico, I would of opened the patio door, except the kitties would of all run outside, especially Willie. I'm thinking like u, where there is 1 there is usually more.

rainbow, frenchy has a rep for getting rid of mice? I think there is a story behind that statement. :laughing:

Melinda, I'm going to pick up one of those traps tomorrow. I didn't like to see that poor little thing dead. :(

Tundra_Queen
October 31st, 2010, 04:22 AM
You're afraid of mice TQ.......:laughing:

Chris, any I catch I'm sending down to u! I'll even pack them a lunch! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM
Well, at least your cats are looking out for you. I have to protect hubby and the Pack from any mice that get in our house. :rolleyes: :laughing:

:candle: mouse

Tundra_Queen
November 1st, 2010, 03:43 AM
hazel, u even have to protect hubs? :laughing: uh oh

hazelrunpack
November 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM
Yep, last mouse we had sent hubby and the Pack all running down the hall with Mr Mouse in hot pursuit. :o :laughing:

Tundra_Queen
November 2nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
:laughing: @ hazel

chico2
November 2nd, 2010, 09:53 AM
hazel,i can just picture that in my head:laughing::laughing::laughing: