Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trying to find some answers

DJR
October 29th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hello. We brought our 15 year old kitty for a checkup and yearly shots 2 days ago. She has ALWAYS been an inside cat, but for the past month she has been trying to get out when we bring out the dogs. She'd usually just take a walk around the pool and come back in, or sit in the sun for a few minutes. Anyways, Over the last 6 to 8 months, we noticed that she was drinking more water and if she got locked in a room for a few hours, she couldn't hold it. Also, we noticed she slept alot more. Her eyes were still bright and she was still playful and very loving as always, slept with us every night since 1995. She has lost some weight, but we also had her on Blue buffalo because she was a fat cat and her weight seemed to stabilize at 12.5 lbs from 16 over the last 3 years. We figured that we would give her a checkup at the vets while she was getting her shots. Normally, after her shots she will sleep alot so when she went missing, didn't come to bed, we figured she was in a closet or the office on the couch sleeping. Well, the morning rolls around and we still couldn't find her. we searched the house for hours, then went to the front and back door calling her. Finally went out searching. We found her :( She was about 100 yards from the house laying on her side dead. She has gotten out a few times over the years but has ALWAYS come to either the front or back door and meowed, and when we let her back in, she gave us an earful. It kind of seems that this time she went out and didn't want to come back in. we were in and out that evening and night and didn't see or hear her. She has never wandered more than a few feet from the house itself, yet this time she was in the neighbors yard in the gully near the road. I looked her over and there was no physical trauma to her no cut or bite marks. it just looks like she layed down and went to sleep. we called our vet and he was upset too. Came in on his day off to get the results of her blood and urine work and said the tests came back in normal. My wife and i feel really guilty because we weren't there and that we had no idea she had gotten out. Like i said, after her shots shed sleep alot so It was completely out of character for her to go wandering. I know I will never know exactly what and what happened, but any ideas? It bothers me alot to think she might of died because something we did or didn't do..

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs772.snc4/67203_1498880909485_1158018321_31149893_5698034_n. jpg

SuperWanda
October 29th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'm so sorry about your Lucy.

It sounds like you provided the best care for her and that she was in good health based on the blood results.

Could she have died from natural causes -- you may never know the reason but I wouldn't blame yourselves. It sounds like you are very caring and conscientious pet owners.

I know it's difficult sometimes in hindsight -- you worry about what you did or didn't do but I'm sure you have made the best decisions for her and her health and I'm sure she knew she was loved and that's really the most important thing.

Dog Dancer
October 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of sweet Lucy. You didn't let her down in any way, so try not to blame yourself. I agree though it's hard when we're not with them when they go, we feel they went alone and lonely. Sometimes though that's what they want, and they wander off to pass away alone. Lucy will be playing at the bridge now, free from the aches and pains of old age, but always knowing how well she was loved.

pbpatti
October 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your Lucy. She is a beautiful cat and was loved by you and your wife for 15 yrs. :rip:Lucy... patti

DJR
October 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
We loved her very much. My wife was almost hysterical when i told her the news. It was very sudden. I will miss her alot.