Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Elevated Amylase?

luckypenny
October 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I just received Penny's blood test results.

Amylase Five months ago was 338 and now it's 1228 (ref. range 290-1125)

Lipase Five months ago was 271 and now it's 654 (ref. range 77-695)

Our vet will be calling me tomorrow but, in the meantime, does anyone know what this means :shrug:?

All I could find on the www so far is these two have something to do with the pancreas :confused:.

Love4himies
October 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Oh no, poor Penny :(

Did your vet also do a urinalysis? Yes, it could be indicating an issue with the pancreas. :grouphug:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/labreports.html

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BLOOD-TEST-EXPLAINED.HTM

Pancreas (Glucose, Amylase, Lipase, Triglyceride)
These tests are abnormal when there is something wrong with the pancreas or carbohydrate metabolism (examples are diabetes mellitus and pancreatitis).

diandpat
October 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM
AW LP, haven't got a clue what any of that means :(
:goodvibes::goodvibes: with your vet call tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.
:grouphug:

Rgeurts
October 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Thorin had elevated lipase last month. They said he was most likely in the early stage of pancreatitis. He also has colitis (and IBD), which can also elevate the lipase level. Pennys isn't too high. Thorins was 2016 (or something like that) and the high norm was 1800. Our vet said if he had pancreatitis, it was either very mild or just starting as she said the typical lipase level is over 10,000 and the amylase should be elevated too. His was back to normal after 2 weeks, so his was probably brought on by colitis.

There are 2 types of pancreatitis, acute and chronic. She said with chronic you would see a slow rise in the levels over time.

But the elevated enzymes can mean a few things like pancreatic trauma and pancreatic duct obstruction . I hope you get good answers tomorrow. :grouphug::grouphug:

luckypenny
October 28th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Did your vet also do a urinalysis?

No, we just had a technician draw her blood to be sent to an outside lab.

Pancreas (Glucose, Amylase, Lipase, Triglyceride)
These tests are abnormal when there is something wrong with the pancreas or carbohydrate metabolism (examples are diabetes mellitus and pancreatitis).

Glucose is up slightly and Triglyceride quite a bit from 52 to 183 but both still within the reference range.

Our vet said if he had pancreatitis, it was either very mild or just starting as she said the typical lipase level is over 10,000 and the amylase should be elevated too.

That's the info I've come across as well. Although the current levels aren't alarming, it's the increase since her last blood test that has me concerned :o.

Winston
October 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
LP I just went through this with Tabitha. She was given 30 days of medication and recheck showed she was within normal range again. It was just the beginning stages for her as well. The vet prescribed Orbax.

Apparently it is quite painful when full blown.

Is this the blood work you sent to Dr Dodds? Give Penny a hug and smooch for me please....:thumbs up

Let us know what the vet says tomorrow...

Cindy

hazelrunpack
October 28th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I hope the vet has good news tomorrow, LP! :goodvibes: Give Penny a smooch and hug from hazel, too, please, and slobbery kissies from the Pack!

Kodie's Mom
October 29th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Sorry no advice, but I hope everything turns out well.

Dog Dancer
October 29th, 2010, 01:07 PM
LP, sorry I have no advice on this, but it does sound like it's been caught early anyhow. Hopefully you'll have good answers today. Fingers crossed that Penny snaps right back.

luckypenny
October 29th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Our vet just phoned and told me not to worry since we're not seeing any clinical signs of illness. We do, however, have to keep an eye on her thyroid levels as they're showing a downward trend :shrug:. We retest again in 6 months unless we see any signs that she's not well.

Thank you for all the good wishes everyone.

diandpat
October 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Well, I guess no news is good news in this case. Hopefully just something a little off and will right itself before the next tests. :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
October 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Whew! Glad to hear that nothing is direly wrong, LP! Sending a few more :goodvibes: and lots of kisses for Penny from me and the Pack, just cuz! :D

TeriM
October 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hopefully it is just a little blip and beautiful Penny will be just fine :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:.

growler~GateKeeper
October 31st, 2010, 02:28 AM
Was Penny fasted or had she eaten recently before this blood test? What about her food intake compared to the previous tests?

Info on pancreatic group blood panel http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/chem/amylip.htm

The pancreas produces and secrets amylase to aid in digestion. Elevated blood levels can indicate pancreatic and/or kidney disease.

Vet written article on Low Thyroid http://www.2ndchance.info/doghypothyroid.htm

:goodvibes: