Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I train my dog to not pee while I am not home?

Cheeks
October 28th, 2010, 06:05 AM
First off my dog is a very good dog. We have only had him since May and he came from a very loving family who trained him well. He can be stubborn at times but is very smart and very loving. He is a 3 year old boxer x mastiff in perfect health. So now to my problem, as soon as we leave the house he pees or poos! Only in the hallway or on his blanket so it is very easy to clean but still it needs to stop. I can tell it is abandonment issues; if we leave him alone in the house for even 5 minutes we will come home to a very excited dog and a big mess in the hallway. We have started to leave him outside while we go to work but I fear this will have to end soon because we live in a very northern community that gets very cold and he has a short coat. I know he knows how to hold going to the bathroom; he can go 15+ hours while we are home without going to the bathroom. Well, if we close the bedroom door he will pee and poo at night, but so long as we leave the door open he is fine. He doesnt even sleep in bed with us just needs to know we are there. We do not want to put him in a kennel while we are out because my husband feels it would be cruel for a dog his size who grew up without such a confinement. Is there any hope of training him to not revenge potty anymore?

luckypenny
October 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi Cheeks, welcome to pets.ca :).

I don't believe dogs are vengeful for their family member leaving them alone. Rather, it would seem your dog is experiencing separation anxiety. It's not unusual for dog to lose control over bodily functions when experiencing extreme anxiety.

Here's an excellent PDF article that you can download, "Diagnosing & Treating Canine Separation Anxiety". It should be the first one on this link http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22diagnosing+%26+treating+canine+separat ion+anxiety%22+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=C0V&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&&sa=X&ei=bKPJTOWqMoT7lwfkoYD5AQ&ved=0CBoQBSgA&q=%22diagnosing+and+treating+canine+separation+anx iety%22&spell=1&fp=a032a2d43df45523

A book I highly recommend is "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell. It helped us immensely with one of our dogs who suffered extreme SA when we first adopted him. http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB667