Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog's annoying potty behaviours

Teeko
October 27th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I have a 2-year old male Shih Tzu who is driving me crazy. Whenever he wants to stop at a post, he digs in his heels about 10 feet away, then he approaches it very slowly, spends forever sniffing every blade of grass around the pole and then may or may not pee. This process will be repeated at every post if I let him. I have tried various approaches but with no success. How do I get him to (a) stop digging in his heels, (b) stop spending so much time sniffing and get down to business and (c) stop being so selective on where to pee.

My other problem is that he still has accidents in the house. He is normally alone for about 10 hours and I realize that's too long time not to pee so I have a pee pad on the floor. Sometimes he uses it and sometimes he goes on the floor.

This little guy was raised in a kennel till he was 8 months old. I had a heck of a time teaching him to walk on a leash and house training - probably more because I didn't know the tricks of the trade.

He is a very quick learner so I know it must be something I'm doing wrong. What is it? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Floppy Dog
October 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM
First, is your dog neutered?

Second, how much stimulation and exercise is your dog getting? You're right, 10 hours alone is a very long time. It's possible that his outdoor "sniff" sessions are his way of entertaining himself before he's left alone for a long time. If you have, or know of someone who has kids, it's like the kids' antics at bed time, all designed to delay the inevitable.

May I suggest that you look into a doggy daycare or see if there is someone trustworthy in the neighbourhood who would spend some time with your dog while you're away.

Also, lose the puppy pads and change to a box with grass in it. It's much more like the outdoors and will reinforce good potty habits.

luckypenny
October 28th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Whenever he wants to stop at a post, he digs in his heels about 10 feet away, then he approaches it very slowly, spends forever sniffing every blade of grass around the pole and then may or may not pee. This process will be repeated at every post if I let him. I have tried various approaches but with no success. How do I get him to (a) stop digging in his heels, (b) stop spending so much time sniffing and get down to business and (c) stop being so selective on where to pee.

Ahh, but this is what dogs do :D. As humans, we use our sense of sight foremost to see/understand the world around us. Dogs use their noses :). It's perfectly normal and not something I'd want to deny our dogs.

When we take ours for walks, I try to set aside at least an hour. Approximately 40 minutes of that is to let them sniff to their heart's content, the remaining time is spent walking briskly next to me. Normally, I start out having them walk on a loose leash next to me. When we get to an area I don't mind them sniffing at the end of the leash, I ask for a sit and then let them go, "go smell," I say. When I want to continue on, I say, "here," have them sit again, then continue on with our walk with them next to me. We just repeat this throughout our walk. Releasing them is their reward for walking by my side and it's worked out rather well.

My other problem is that he still has accidents in the house. He is normally alone for about 10 hours and I realize that's too long time not to pee so I have a pee pad on the floor. Sometimes he uses it and sometimes he goes on the floor.

This little guy was raised in a kennel till he was 8 months old.

That's an issue lots of folk have with pad training and housetraining at the same time. It may give the dog mixed messages. Any way to remove the pad and have someone come home mid-day to help teach your dog to eliminate outdoors all the time?