Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Housebroken pup won't go at new house

StephGresh
October 27th, 2010, 10:08 AM
My pup is almost 6 months and is completely house broken - and she will only pee at my parents house. This is a huge problem not so much for when we take her on long walks or anything, but when we are not at my parents house, she refuses to go. I've tried everything I can think of. I bought 'pee-posts', I got her to pee on a puppy pad so I can bring her scent over to the apartment where she will be living, I've sat outside with her for hours on end (and it's starting to get rainy and cold) petting her and trying to make her feel safe enough to do her business at the new place.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions on how I can fix it? I'm going crazy trying to find something I've missed/have done wrong....

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM
We've had similar problems with English setters as pups. They seem to have a lot of poop/pee spot fidelity....wish they weren't so loyal sometimes. :rolleyes:

So I take it you haven't moved to the new place, yet, and you're both still at your parents'?

StephGresh
October 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
She's going to go live at my boyfriends apartment (because shes half his too), but she sstill officially living at home.

I take her there for sleepovers, and all day visits, but she still refuses to do her business.

I always end up taking her back to my parents though, because I'm worried something bad will happen in the health department if I keep her there and she still won't pee.

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Have you tried scheduling a few visits when you can spend more than one day, then just waiti her out? Eventually she'll have to go, and when she does, praise her as you did when she was just a wee little girl and just learning to be housebroken. She just needs to learn that the yard at your bf's apartment is a 'proper' place to pee. Right now she's focused on her spots at your parents' house as the only proper place to pee. She's a good girl :D Learned her lessons well! :thumbs up

You could also try collecting some of her urine when she pees at your folks, then sprinkle it on the grass where you want her to go at your bf's place. If she smells it, she may get the idea. :fingerscr

StephGresh
October 27th, 2010, 11:16 AM
lol I trained her a little too well it seems :P

I'll try getting a bit of it when she goes next.. maybe get her to stay over night at his place tonight and tomorrow...

At this point I'm willing to try anything

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Good luck! Eventually, with lots of patience, she'll get the idea. :thumbs up Let us know how it goes! And if you get a chance, we'd love some pics of the lil darlin', too! :D

StephGresh
October 29th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Well... she pee'd on the kitchen floor of his apartment the other day. It was odd, we were so excited and we praised her for peeing.. not too thrilled about where, but at least it was on the tile and not on the hardwood floor...

It's a step in the right direction I think. Little darling got two cookies out of it, and a small piece of cheese.

And I'll work on the pictures :P (she really is quite adorable)

Dog Dancer
October 29th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Well, okay, I guess that's a step in the right direction! You'll have to keep working on that though as you don't want that to become her habit. Outside lots, if you can catch her just waking up from a nap take her out and to a specific area and tell her to go. Don't play with her, just walk her around and remind her to do her business. When she goes reward (as you did) and have a pawty with her. Then go and play as part of her reward. Patience!

StephGresh
October 31st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Still hasn't gone since she pee'd in the kitchen.

Raked up all the dead grass (where she pees) in the back yard and gonna bring it over to the new place, gonna put it out and hopefully that will encourage her to go.

I'm worried about when she gets fixed on November 15th... If she still refuses to pee, won't that lead to more complication post surgery?