Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breakfast at our place.

Goldfields
October 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Superb Spring morning here and all our pets seemed to be enjoying their breakfast. The lamb had just finished her bottle of milk,( can't you tell ? :D) but still had to nibble on the Kurrajong tree.

Goldfields
October 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Even the birds joined in for breakfast, while some had eaten earlier and were happy to just chew their cud.

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2010, 08:30 PM
The pony and the lambs are so cute, Goldfields! (Yes, I know...it's Betty...but believe me, hazel's walnut-brain won't remember that past tomorrow :o So I gotta stick with what I can see! :D )

Are those corellas (?) or something like that--the birds? I remember you posted pics of a rosy-faced gray bird earlier but can't remember the name :o

are you beginning to see a pattern here? :laughing:

luckypenny
October 26th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I love how the little lamb's belly sticks out on either side :cloud9:. Hmmm, breakfast in Australia....I wonder what lunch and dinner look like :D.

Goldfields
October 26th, 2010, 08:52 PM
The bird on the left is a Corella, the other is a Galah. They flock together with Corellas far outnumbering Galahs, and Corellas are much noisier and more destructive.

My own memory is bad at the best of times, Hazel, annoying, isn't it? Comes with the grey hair. :)

Goldfields
October 26th, 2010, 08:56 PM
LP, I'm beginning to understand why Aaron asked me did I want to save all 3 lambs when we knew we were going to lose the ewe. Feeding two and fending off the third, if you have no help, is difficult, and once they get to this age they'll slice your hand open with their razor sharp little teeth. But still, they're super cute. The fat milk belly is a real hoot. LOL.

cpietra16
October 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM
GF, what do you mean your were going to lose the ewe???:shrug:

Goldfields
October 26th, 2010, 09:54 PM
She lambed when the floods were on and was probably one of hundreds to die due to the appalling weather. They get twin lamb disease(pregnancy toxaemia) , won't/can't eat, , go lame, get down, get cold and wet and that's it. I stopped a farmer driving slowly past our place through floodwater to ask him to help me get her on her feet and into the milking shed and he said he had another 40 just like her in his paddock. Such a terrible loss for farmers, when they won't try and save the lambs like we do. I called in a farmer friend to put her out of her misery and operate to save her lambs at least. She was a lovely ewe too, I hated losing her. :( He makes the judgement though, knowing far better than I whether they aren't going to make it. We were lucky to save her triplets, they were very weak.

TeriM
October 26th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Wonderful pics :lovestruck:.

Goldfields
October 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks, Teri M. There is so many nice things you see when you go outside here. Swallows nesting, young magpies learning how to fly, carol and find food, and I saw the sweetest little Pardalote getting a drink from a horse trough. They are very dainty little birds, usually after the blossom at the top of big gum trees, so not often seen close up.

LP, lunch here is quieter. Ian feeds the ponies, I let the dogs out and give the cattle dogs their biscuit, and the shelties their liver treats, and the sheep just do their thing. Dinner is far more time consuming, ewe supplement pellets for the sheep, Ian does the ponies while I do the lambs, but the dog's meals take longer to prepare than our own. LOL. Spoilt rotten they are.

Melinda
October 27th, 2010, 07:29 AM
wow..brings back memories of life on our farm, mind you, our birds were either crows or pidgeons *L*, the poor ewe, at least the babies were saved, a boring life you sure don't lead *L*