Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet said what???

Dog Dancer
October 26th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Reading the Sept. Canadian Living magazine there was an article about getting woken at night by your pets. A vet by the name of Joseph Stookey from the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon suggests that if you want your pet to sleep through the night

" Knock off the Frisbee playing. There's a theory that says dogs are like athletes, says Stookey. The more you exercise them, the more they need it. If you want your dog to be a bit lazy, don't take him on so many walks, and feed him a little more."

WHAT!!!! A vet said that??? :wall:

He also goes on to say to kick them out of the bedroom or at least off of the bed. He doesn't go so far as to suggest locking cats out of the room or they will yowl. Well he has that right I think, but for the rest :loser:

BenMax
October 26th, 2010, 04:23 PM
The vet is on crack. Mail him a pipe, a pizza and some beer. Let's see how he sleeps through the night.

doggy lover
October 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
You know thats not the first time I have heard that about over exercising you dog, but the feeding him more and less walks that would just make a fat lazy dog that is going to have health issues..and if I kicked Tucker out of the bed who would I snuggle with, its either him or Marty on my bed

Dog Dancer
October 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Well I would agree that you may not want to play Frisbee 20 minutes before bedtime, but his advice is very poorly worded. You're right doggy lover, not exercising your dog and feeding them more is going to create health issues for the dog in the long run and we all know that vet bills will keep you awake at night too! Why not just exercise your dog moderately in the evening, feed him a good diet, and then train him not to wake you at night unless he needs to go outside. My two will wake me up only if they need to go out urgently, then they don't get cookies when they come in or any special attention. A quick "good girl" and then "back to bed". No extra attention as a reward to encourage regular wake up calls.

Melinda
October 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM
You know thats not the first time I have heard that about over exercising you dog, but the feeding him more and less walks that would just make a fat lazy dog that is going to have health issues..and if I kicked Tucker out of the bed who would I snuggle with, its either him or Marty on my bed

which results in more business for the vet..........

Longblades
October 26th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I agree with part of what he said. Some dogs do just keep getting fitter and fitter and needing more and more exercise. Breeds like my Lab that were meant to hunt all day or like a border collie that is meant to work all day, yes I agree that tiring them out with only exercise is sometimes a lost cause.

Too bad the VEt didn't suggest to add in some mental exercise like obedience classes. Or suggest folks research a breed's exercise needs before getting it.

I won't play frisbee if only for the potential for a bad landing. And I agree that reving them up just before bedtime is silly.

But to deliberately make your dog lazy and intentionally overfeed him? Wacko.

Maybe we should all write comments in to the magazine?

rainbow
October 26th, 2010, 11:46 PM
:eek: kick my dog off the bed .......I can't sleep without him there. :laughing:

I'm sure glad that guy isn't my vet. :rolleyes:

Goldfields
October 27th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Does anyone know any athletes that want to exercise in the middle of the night? I think they sleep too. Funny man.

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM
:eek: kick my dog off the bed .......I can't sleep without him there. :laughing:

I'm sure glad that guy isn't my vet. :rolleyes:
If he had been ours, he wouldn't be now. :p

Dog Dancer
October 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
After having ACL problems with a dog from playing frisbee we don't do that anymore either, but not because I want a better night sleep. I just think this vet really needed to expand on his thinking more. His msg was not clear enough for the masses who will read it and take it as gospel. Sure, we know enough to read between the lines (don't play frisbee before bed), but not everyone out there is a pets.ca member! :D

Goldfields
October 27th, 2010, 08:05 PM
" Knock off the Frisbee playing. There's a theory that says dogs are like athletes, says Stookey. The more you exercise them, the more they need it. If you want your dog to be a bit lazy, don't take him on so many walks, and feed him a little more."

I don't think he is saying don't play frisbee before bed, DD, simply because he goes on to say don't take him on so many walks.

Dog Dancer
October 27th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Goldfields, I know, I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he really blew it with his answer there. I did post a comment on their website and noticed a couple other people had as well. It clearly sounds like he's advocating inactive, lazy, fat dogs so that you can sleep better. Just wrong on so many levels. If you don't have the space in an article to give proper justice to your response don't even go there.

Goldfields
October 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM
That's dead right, his answer doesn't make any sense at all, and doesn't he realise that inactive, lazy, fat dogs SNORE? (LOL. Just keeping on the the subject of getting a good night's sleep.) All jokes aside though, I hope no-one takes that advice.

Love4himies
October 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
That's dead right, his answer doesn't make any sense at all, and doesn't he realise that inactive, lazy, fat dogs SNORE? (LOL. Just keeping on the the subject of getting a good night's sleep.) All jokes aside though, I hope no-one takes that advice.

The sad news, is that yes, some people are just looking for an excuse not to get out and walk their dog, now they have one :(.

I don't own a dog, but I do exercise myself, and no, going for a 10km jog before bed will keep you up for a couple of hours, exercise is best done at least 2 hours before bedtime. However, unless you are a person of leisure and don't work, fitting in an exercise regime when it fits into your schedule is better than no exercise at all ;).

Also, don't know if dogs release the same chemicals in the brain as humans, but if I don't go out for my run/bike etc., I am depressed for the day. Exercising vigorously makes me feel GOOD:lovestruck:.

Many moderate exercisers do not become over achievers and ultra marathoners, they just need their 5km run daily to keep them mentally feeling well :shrug:. So are dogs the same? Probably.

Goldfields
October 28th, 2010, 10:38 AM
The sad news, is that yes, some people are just looking for an excuse not to get out and walk their dog, now they have one :(.

Good point.

Etown_Chick
November 1st, 2010, 11:02 PM
Scruffy only wakes me to pee, not to play frisbee!
Not sure how making him fat and lazy will change that.