Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

drinking

Jane
October 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM
My 3 year old male cat is drinking alot at least I think he drinks alot.
Last week he had a bout of diarhea which a has resolved itself.
He seems fine do you think I should bring him to the vet?
He hates going.

pbpatti
October 26th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Do you know what I do?? If I think I should take my furbaby to the vet I do. You need answers and they have them. There are knowledgable cat people here but they do not know your kitty you do. WE do like to see pictures though of everyones pets sooooo post some ok?:lightbulb: Oh, and welcome!! patti

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2010, 07:46 PM
If you think he's drinking more than normal, Jane, it's probably a good time to have him checked at the vet. Even if he hates it... It will give you peace of mind if it turns out to be nothing. And if it turns out to be the start of something, most things are so much easier to treat if you start early. :thumbs up

And yes, we'd love to see some pics! :D

Love4himies
October 27th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Having a baseline of bloodwork is always a good idea, so having some done now certainly will be of benefit and it is really one very important way to find out if anything is amiss.

Is your cat eating kibble? If so, changing to a canned diet will help him stay hydrated and well. Cats (all animals, in fact) are meant to get their fluids from their food as they don't have cups to drink out of.

Here are some good websites:

http://www.catinfo.org/

14+kitties
October 27th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Just to add a bit. When you see your cat drinking water he is already dehydrated. I for one would feel better taking the kitty in especially knowing he had a bout of diarrhea last week. That would dehydrate him big time. As Love4himies stated if he is eating dry he needs to be taken off of it and fed only canned food or, ideally, raw.