Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We will miss you, our beautiful black Yoshi

cats+horse
October 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Yoshi was born on May 3, 2009, one of only two kittens born to a barn cat where I keep my horse. I held him on his very first day, marveling at his tiny paws and tail and appreciating how strong he was already. Over the next few weeks, I visited everyday, cuddling Yoshi and his brother Spud and enjoying how quickly they grew.

At three weeks, their mom disappeared. Tiny baby Yoshi, eyes just opening, let me know something was wrong by howling at the sight of me. We looked everywhere for Mom, but she was gone. Nobody seemed to care about the fate of the kittens, their owner included. So I made the most important decision of my life: I brought them home in a box and made myself their mom.

That night, they went to the vet and he told me that they would not have made it through the night if I had not intervened. I knew right then and there that I would never leave them. Yoshi and Spud would have a life at our house, and they would be loved.

The kittens lived in a box in my closet for a week, and we bottle-fed them every four hours. Yoshi was not as great an eater, so we diligently tried other methods to make sure he got enough nutrition. And grow they did! I knew they were ready to leave the box when I heard Yoshi crying and came in to find Spud sitting outside the box!

They were moved to a bedroom in the house where they lived for a few months. During that time, they grew like weeds, learning to eat solid food, learning to use the box, playing (their favourite game was to chase each other around us, using us as jungle gyms), and becoming more and more a part of our lives. Yoshi shed his scruffy baby coat and became a beautiful sleek black. At first, we thought Yoshi was a girl, but later it was revealed we had been wrong all along!

I wouldn't trade the last year and a half for nothing. The cats have brought us nothing but joy. The last half-year has seen the kittens bloom into loving, gorgeous adult cats. Yoshi was shy around strangers, but never put a foot wrong. He was always affectionate towards us and would never bite or scratch. He was the first to greet us at the door with the cutest little meow you have ever heard, and the first to greet us in the morning with a purring cuddle. Last night I missed him sleeping with me so bad I thought my heart would break. He was playful and kind, and loved all the other cats, always being the first to groom and make others feel better. His idol was our adult cat Sherman, who he perked up at the sight of, and cleaned vigorously and loved unconditionally. We always said "this is just the cutest little guy".

A few days ago, we took Yoshi to the vet, as he had been a bit lethargic. I just thought he had a hairball, but my world was knocked upside down when I was told he had Feline Leukemia and complications from it. They recommended he be put to sleep. We could not do it right away, and took him home. We spent an absolutely perfect, peaceful two days with him, that I would not change for anything. Yoshi was happy as a clam, eating, meowing, purring, sleeping with us, being with us 24-7, letting us know he loved us. However, we could see the fading start to happen again, and yesterday we made the terrible decision to euthanize. We knew he would never get better, but it was still so hard. I stayed with him until the end, hugging him and letting him know he was so loved, he was so perfect, nothing was his fault, that we were sorry, and we would change nothing about his little life and the joy he brought us....

It's hard. I miss him so much. The other cats miss him. I don't know how to deal with this pain.

RIP Yoshi. You made our lives better for the short time you were there. Thank you.

diandpat
October 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM
cats+horse I am so so sorry for your loss. The love you feel for your furkids just oooozes out of every word you wrote.:lovestruck:

Bless you for taking on the care of these two orphaned kittens and for giving Yoshi the better life than he could have hoped for had you not stepped up.

I see where Spud has been diagnosed as well and will hope and pray for a long happy life for him.

:rip: sweet Yoshi...run whole healthy and free at the Rainbow Bridge and keep an eye on your loving Mum :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet Yoshi. It's so hard to lose our furbabies, especially when they're so young. :grouphug:

I hope you feel some comfort thinking of all the joy you gave him in his short time here--and remembering all the joy he gave you....

:candle: Yoshi

Heart's ease to you, cats+horse, and good health and happy life to Spud!

luckypenny
October 26th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of Yoshi's passing but so happy that he was such an important part of your life and you of his :grouphug:.

:candle: Yoshi :candle:

aws1
October 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM
So sorry for your loss he could not have had a better mom.Thank you for helping the two little kittens in there time of need.
:candle: Yoshi :angel2:

14+kitties
October 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM
:candle::rip: Yoshi :candle: Run fast and illness free.

growler~GateKeeper
October 31st, 2010, 02:58 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Yoshi :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: :grouphug: