Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eliminating possible Food Alergies

Rockblind
October 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM
My BLM is currently on a special diet which consists of only Tofu and Lentil for 12 weeks to eliminate a possible food alergy with it's dog food. Has anyone experienced something similar? His alergy is that he is always chewing his paws. Is 12 weeks long enough to see if it is a food alergy with his food or should it be longer and should it be shorter to see some sort of results?

Thanks,

Marty11
October 25th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I was told 12 weeks is good. I hope you find results.

luckypenny
October 25th, 2010, 09:59 AM
My BLM is currently on a special diet which consists of only Tofu and Lentil for 12 weeks to eliminate a possible food alergy with it's dog food.

Rockblind, who put your dog on this diet? Soy (from which tofu is made from) is one of the primary food allergens along with corn, wheat, beef, eggs, and milk :shrug:.

For allergic animals, elimination diets with restricted or novel antigen
source are given for 6-12 weeks to evaluate their benefit to the patient. Homemade diets can also
be used provided that the formula is properly balanced. All other food supplements, including
treats, are withdrawn. Example ingredients that have been used successfully, include whitefish,
rabbit, venison, duck, ostrich, emu, buffalo, and turkey mixed with potato, sweet potato and
other vegetables (except onions and cruciferous vegetables). Grains are often avoided, at least
initially, although novel grains like quinoa, sorghum, barley or flax usually have been well
tolerated.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/documents/immunenutrition.pdf

Marty11
October 25th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Go makes a duck and quinoa dog food.

Myka
October 25th, 2010, 03:31 PM
When I have had digestive problems with my doggies I always put them on boiled chicken and brown rice...about 50/50. I use the water from boiling the chicken to make the rice. They tolerate it very well. I sometimes have to feed it if I run out of Orijen kibble (I work in a camp in the middle of nowhere), and there are no digestive issues doing a quick switch from kibble to chicken and rice and back to kibble.

I don't know what a BLM is, but with my Chihuahua, he is so small that it isn't too costly to buy the pre-cooked BBQ chickens from the grocery store for ease of use. I pull the skin off them (where the sauce or spices are), then pull the meat off them, and freeze portions of it.

Chicken is often an allergen though, so you may have to use turkey instead? Seeing as we are just after Thanksgiving, you may be able to find turkeys cheap(er). I would be concerned about using Tofu. As well as being a common allergen, soy also has three types of naturally occurring hormones, and can cause troubles that way when fed in such high amounts for so long.

Sib.HuskyMom
October 25th, 2010, 09:33 PM
What about getting allergy testing done at your vet? There's nothing to say if the possible allergies are food related or environmental. It could take months or even years to pinpoint the exact source.

I know allergy testing isn't 100% acurate in all cases, but it's a great place to start since they test for pretty much everything you can think of. My inlaws had great success when they did it for their GSD and discovered that's he's allergic to duck and carrots (among a few other things). Since they've switched foods, it's made a huge difference.

Best of luck to you! I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

luckypenny
October 25th, 2010, 10:14 PM
There's a new saliva test that should be coming out in January '11. Only a small fraction of what regular allergy testing costs and can actually tell if a dog is allergic/sensitive before they become symptomatic. It tests for intolerance to soy, corn, wheat, beef, and eggs.

rainbow
October 25th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Rockblind, who put your dog on this diet? Soy (from which tofu is made from) is one of the primary food allergens along with corn, wheat, beef, eggs, and milk :shrug:.

I agree ....that certainly isn't a diet you should put a dog with allergies on.

What were you feeding him before that?