Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pays to shop around

Dee-O-Gee
October 24th, 2010, 09:50 PM
We've been buying our Dog food from a local pet store for over 10 years. A couple years back, we switched brands and the store advised they carry the new brand but we would have to special order on or before Tuesdays for a Friday delivery.

We never really payed much attention to the cost but were conscious on their order time frames. With schedules being so hectic lately, we've lacked on the ordering process and this past weekend realized we wouldn't make it through the week.

So I went onto the manufacturer's website to see if there were any other local stores that carry the brand and found another store near my work. I called them to see if they had the brand and "Yes" they do. They also have it in stock so no need to "special order." I went and bought a 33 lb bag this weekend.

The real S:censored:t kicker is this new store sells it for $24.00 cheaper per bag! At 10 bags a year--that's 240.00 back in our pockets! :eek:

Should I say something to the manager/owner at the other store? I would like to patronize the store we've always purchased from and shop local but I'm kinda thinking that they may just shrug it off? :shrug:

luckypenny
October 24th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Klm, a store normally has to order a minimum number of bags from a distributor for it to be delivered. If your regular store doesn't stock your particular brand, they are most likely paying for the shipping of your food and adding the usual mark-up. I guess it would be up to you to mention it to them but they probably couldn't match the price if they don't have enough customers buying that particular brand. Glad you found the new place with the better price though :thumbs up.

Dee-O-Gee
October 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM
That makes total sense LP.

For a while, we were ordering 2 bags at a time to save the monthly headache but it got to be tougher on the pocket book and was easier to swallow the price of one bag rather than 2. The store carried other varieties of the brand, just not the formula we were loyal to.

I'm just floored with the difference in price. I guess it's a good thing to burst outside your bubble every once in a while. :shrug:

rainbow
October 24th, 2010, 10:59 PM
A $24 per bag difference :eek: ....that is absolutely absurd. :eek:

I feed Orijen and we have 3 pet stores here and the most expensive store charges about $10 more per bag. :shrug:

mastifflover
October 25th, 2010, 07:29 AM
You are so right Rainbow I check prices all the time. When I was feeding Wellness Core the price would vary up to 10.00 per bag. That certainly adds up. But what LP said makes sense about special orders but 24 is a bit steep

Dee-O-Gee
October 25th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Still haven't got the courage to approach the manager and the more I think about it, the angrier I get. :frustrated:

Even if I had to pay extra for shipping per bag, they still order in other varieties of the same manufacturer so I don't understand why I was the one getting suckered into the extra cost. :shrug:

I'm very embarassed to say that I was paying 91.50 a bag (tax included) at the old store and this new place came to a total of 67.79 (including tax) AND...they keep track of the proof of purchases.

The MFG offers a Customer loyalty program where you buy 10 bags, get one free. The new store told me to bring in my previous Proof of Purchase codes (which I cut off the bags) and they would manually enter them into my new profile so I could continue with the Customer Loyality Program with them.

:evil:sorry...very angry and totally embarassed! :o