Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bee sting dog goes into anaphylactic shock

doggy lover
October 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I have never seen this happen before and hope to never see it again. My friends golden doodle got stung by a bee or wasp yesterday and almost died. She was catching flies as she always does and must have caught a bee, minutes later she is throwing up, diarrhoea and collapses on the ground, to the point she almost looked dead. Emergency run to the vet, iv all kinds of meds later Fergie starts to come around..what might have saved her was she was already on antihistamines do to a insect bite on her leg that she had kept licking and the vet already had her on the meds for that. I don't think she would have made it that far to the vets if she wasn't already on the meds and neither does the vet..very scary The vet thought she might have twisted a gut or it was the anaphylactic shock, it just seems that it happened moments after the sting, and I had a dog bloat before and he never went down that fast. Like I said hope I never see it happen again thankfully Fergie is still with us:dog:

luckypenny
October 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Wow, that must have been terrifying. So glad to hear that he's ok. Would your friend have to carry around an epi-pen from now on? Not sure if they have those for dogs?

doggy lover
October 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM
the vet didn't say anything about a epi-pen she seems to think she twisted a gut but what I have read about anaphylactic shock in dogs in my vet book and on line it sure sounds like this is what happened, like I said it happened right after Fergie got stung...I'm not a vet but then the vet wasn't there like I was when it happened and having almost lost a dog to bloat years ago I don't know how a year old dog could twist a gut then it just twists back by its self? I have read to keep benadryl handy when you have a dog that has allergies to bee stings giving a mg\lb of weight or 2.2mg\kg of weight. I am going to call my friend and tell her to carry some with her just incase.

luckypenny
October 24th, 2010, 08:44 PM
That would be a good idea, especially if Fergie reacted to a bug bite previously as you mentioned.

Dog Dancer
October 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Shadow had an extreme reaction to a bee sting (we believe) several years back also and was rushed to the vet. He did suggest that we could keep an epi-pen for her if we felt inclined. I never did, and fortunately she has not been stung again (despite the fact that I have 5 bee hives in our yard). We do keep Benadryl on hand, and I was told to give her 3 x 25mg I believe it is as she weights approx 65 lbs. It's a higher dosage than human dose. Our lab has been stung as she's more inclined to try to bite the bee's (or more likely wasps on our deck area - the dogs are not allowed in the bee yard for obvious reasons) but she only swells a bit at the site. I do not give her Benadryl though as it makes her really dopey. Glad to hear that Fergie made it, I know it was very scary when Shadow reacted.

doggy lover
October 26th, 2010, 03:31 PM
thanks guys, I will have to get in touch with my girlfriend and get her to buy some benadryl I'm not sure of Fergie's weight she is more like a poodle in shape. The biggest thing with Fergie is they take her to Texas for the winter so she is going to be around bees all year round so they better stock up, also she should have been named Fee-bee Flycatcher as she is forever chasing bugs she can actually jump about 5 feet in the air trying to catch bugs which she was trying to do the day after all this happened:wall:wonder if you can teach a dog the difference between flies and bees\wasps :shrug:

Dog Dancer
October 26th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I would check with the vet to get the right dosage on the Benardryl before giving her any. Better safe than sorry, they should give you that info over the phone for free.