Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty Wanted

tyr
September 14th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Hello,

I was just hoping that maybe I could find a kitten through someone on this site. I live in Ottawa, ONT and I already have two cats from the humane society (one is 12 and the other is 2 - I got them both at the same time). I check the paper and internet daily on a search for a little baby kitten. I am prefering a baby because I believe it would be easier to introduce a kitten to my older cats than one with a set personality. I am really looking for a silver (gray) tabby - though I can be easily swayed :) If you are looking for a good, loving and permanent home for a kitten - or know of anyone who is - please reply. I should mention that I am looking for a free kitten, but a price can be discussed (I do not mind having to pay).

Thank you.

heeler's rock!
September 14th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Hey tyr. Have you checked your local newspaper for free kittens? If you don't mind paying, there are plenty of kittens waiting for homes in you local shelters as you know. In Calgary, our humane society is full of kittens, rather than a lot of older cats. The bargain finder on-line usually has some kittens for sale for cheap or for free. Just some thoughts..... :D

tyr
September 15th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Hi!

I do check the papers and the internet - everyday actually :o Our shelters have websites with the animals right online. They go through kittens so fast!!! That is why it is so hard. I am sure they do not have the time to put them all up on the site all the time though. It is just that I cannot go in all the time to check because it is quite the bus ride! I have a request out that sends daily alerts on whether or not they have what I am looking for. No luck yet :( With the papers it is pretty hard - they usually have older cats. I would love to give older cats a loving home just as much, but it is hard when I already have two cats. So a kitten is best. Plus, as mentioned earlier, not everyone has the money to put up an add - or wants to use their money on that, so I thought this would be a good place to post. I still check the papers and internet daily. I have never checked bargain finder though, I will give it a try.

Thanks heeler!! :)

GsdDiamond
September 15th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Usually the giveaway section of the classifieds doesn't charge for ads. So that may be a good place to look for a kitten. If not, ask people at work. You'd be surprised how many people know someone with a cat who's had kittens.

tyr
September 15th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I have never heard of a give away section. I am definitely going to have to check and see if that is in my local newspaper!

Thanks!

Lucky Rescue
September 15th, 2004, 09:11 PM
If you want to drive 2 hours, we have a ton of beautiful kittens, including 3 half Siamese.

People giving away kittens for free often don't bother getting them vet checked, dewormed, deflead or anything else. Plus, if people take these kittens, it just encourages irresponsible people to continue not spaying or neutering their cats and adding to the terrible overpopulation problem. If they can't unload litter after litter, maybe they'll do something about it.

Check out our babies here. They are all guaranteed healthy and ready to go.:)
Lucky Rescue (http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/QC12.html)

tyr
September 16th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I do not have a car, but I really would come and check it out if I did. The link you sent to me in the other forum was really great and I am going to contact them and see if one of the kittens on there is still available - I am not sure as it was last updated in August and kittens go so fast. This is why I am having such a hard time finding them. Especially since I do not have a car I have to check the papers and internet before taking a very long bus ride.

Thanks for the invitation though! :)

GsdDiamond
September 16th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Won't anybody give you a ride to pick up a kitty? :(

glasslass
September 16th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Wow! It always seems there are so many in need of homes! :confused:

tyr
September 16th, 2004, 02:24 PM
No, I do not know anyone who has a car :( I have to take the city's public transpo to get anywhere out of walking distance. It is okay though, I don't mind. It just makes it pretty difficult because I cannot hop on a bus and take frequent trips to surrounding shelters and so on. I have to look on the internet and in the papers before taking such a long journey. That is pretty difficult too, as websites are ot updated daily so I do not always see what is really in there. I do, however, have a request in the shelter and everyday I get an atuomatic report and update on whether or not what I am looking for is there - so that is really good.

As for what Glasslass was saying, it is really strange that there are not more kittens. It seems like everywhere else is just overflowing with baby kittens to be adopted. Though, LR sent me a site the other day for a cat rescue place nearby and they had some babies - there is one that I am going to check out if he is still there. I am just awaiting a response from the foster parent.

She was left for dead at the side of the road. Whoever the owner was took the kitten and put her in a cardboard box with trash and taped it up - leaving (and probably making sure) that there were no holes for her to breathe. Then they took the box and put it at the curb with the rest of their trash to be taken. You should see her, she is so fluffy and sweet. She has the cutest little face. I cannot believe that people can be so cruel! :mad: :(

The problem is that the site was last updated in August so she may not even be there - not a problem, actually, because that means that she has a home...but I cannot help but feel disappointed...
I will keep you updated.

Writing4Fun
September 16th, 2004, 02:28 PM
My husband thinks I'm nuts, but stories like this are why I make him stop to check out every box I see on the side of the road. :mad: People are so cruel! Luckily, I have only found garbage so far...

tyr
September 16th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I know, I am the exact same way!!! I cannot help but keep an eye out on my walk home for abandoned animals. It is really sad that things like this happen so frequently that it should even cross our minds :(

tyr
September 20th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Hello All!

I just thought I would write and let you guys know that I now have a new addition to my fur babies! His name is Quincy and he is so adorable!!! He will be in his new home this week. I will keep you posted if you like.

I was going to put in a picture but it does not seem to be working.

Ciao!

GsdDiamond
September 20th, 2004, 02:42 PM
I'm so happy for you!
If no picture....then details!!!! What color....how old....details!!

heeler's rock!
September 20th, 2004, 04:10 PM
YAY tyr!!! I'm so happy for you!! I love fur babies! Yes, definitely post details if you can't get a pic up! Keep us posted all the time!!!! :D